Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

voltage spike

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:56 AM
SPEEDYS_HARLEY
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage spike

My 13 RG has been flawless till a few weeks ago, have had low voltage 10-11v on start up, burp the throttle and goes to 14v, last week wouldn't get over 10v, tripped ck engine lt/battery light. I did a battery test, checked ohms on stator and volt reading, which after taking regulator off, cleaning the ground and reisntalling, worked fine till last night, started bike, 14v, rode for a mile fairly hard and when sitting at a red light v gauge dropped to 11v, throttle burp didn't help, then meter went to 16+, all lights went out as if a reset then returned to 14v+. very unstable, HELP

Old 05-31-2017, 07:00 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Stator or Voltage regulator... someone will chime in with the troubleshooting procedure. Not hard to check.

The following users liked this post:
SPEEDYS_HARLEY (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 07:18 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts
Old 05-31-2017, 10:13 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

For sure do the checks. Use a real DVOM, don't trust the dash gauge.
FWIW, my 2 cents is on a bad regulator. I once had an HD service manager tell me that low voltage can be the regulator or the stator but high voltage is going to be the regulator.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:11 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDYS_HARLEY
My 13 RG has been flawless till a few weeks ago, have had low voltage 10-11v on start up, burp the throttle and goes to 14v, last week wouldn't get over 10v, tripped ck engine lt/battery light. I did a battery test, checked ohms on stator and volt reading, which after taking regulator off, cleaning the ground and reisntalling, worked fine till last night, started bike, 14v, rode for a mile fairly hard and when sitting at a red light v gauge dropped to 11v, throttle burp didn't help, then meter went to 16+, all lights went out as if a reset then returned to 14v+. very unstable, HELP
Sounds like you are in for some work.

Sounds EXACTLU like my recent story. Read an enjoy: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...regulator.html

Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,025 Likes on 11,643 Posts

Over voltage will not be caused by the stator. The job of the regulator is to regulate the voltage. Just put in a new regulator and be done with it.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:22 PM
SPEEDYS_HARLEY
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lp
Stator or Voltage regulator... someone will chime in with the troubleshooting procedure. Not hard to check.
Yeah my gut tells me V regulator, battery recovers fine when loaded w/ everything on and not running. 1st time of v spike but other than the main fuse being loose, regulator will be my first replacement.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:24 PM
SPEEDYS_HARLEY
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ORradtech
For sure do the checks. Use a real DVOM, don't trust the dash gauge.
FWIW, my 2 cents is on a bad regulator. I once had an HD service manager tell me that low voltage can be the regulator or the stator but high voltage is going to be the regulator.
I agree, thx...

S texas heat i think is taking it's tole on the regulator...

Old 06-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

Stators are easy to check, do a search on the internet or here and it will tell you what to do. Unfortunately the voltage regulator is almost impossible to check, if the stator checks out, it's most likely the regulator and needs to be replaced.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:00 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,352 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Yep, I'd also say it's the voltage regulator.

I have a '13 CVO Ultra and last summer at just under 27,000 miles while on a trip noticed that my volt meter was reading just a tad over 10 volts.
(While the bike's volt meter may not be total accurate, it will give you a head's up that something is wrong).

After checking the battery cables to make sure they were tight, I made a run for the nearest H-D dealership and they installed a new (non-CVO) voltage regulator under the ESP. (I didn't want to sit for two days waiting on a part just because of a little bit of chrome).

I suspect (but cannot prove) that my regulator could have been in the spate of bad ones from the '12 model year bikes.

Quick Reply: voltage spike