Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DUH HD parts guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,314 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by jammerx
duh!!!
Wow...you pared that down quite a bit (from your original)

Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Wow...you pared that down quite a bit (from your original)
I know LOL! I decided to walk away...

Old 05-22-2017, 02:03 PM
TXWarthog
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Anyone got a water pump for a Corvair?
Yep, I've got it on the shelf...right next to my flux capacitors, my blinker fluid, and my muffler bearings!

Old 05-22-2017, 03:11 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by TXWarthog
Yep, I've got it on the shelf...right next to my flux capacitors, my blinker fluid, and my muffler bearings!
I'll take a can of compression with that please.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:12 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
Most parts guys are no different than the drive-thru drones at McDonalds. If you find a good one, treat him well
Seeing as how Harley parts guys make about the same as McDonalds.
No big surprise.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:47 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Mia Culpa

Well, I'm down in McAllen Tx and I discovered this thread took on a second life. I do find it humorous that I fat fingered the date. Should have been 5/29. It's no big surprise to me that I'm fallible. As a matter of a fact I've F'd up a time or two before.

Appreciate all of your comments.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Reminds me of riding dirt bikes as a kid. Be sure to ask for the red powerband... Its the best. Or the flat black one with flames hahaha. The yellow one... Pffff

Old 05-28-2017, 05:58 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Ok, his answer, "If I had a Hydraulic clutch, I wouldn't have much need for a cable would I?" Was NOT a smart assed answer,, if the moron behind the counter didn't know that,,, he need not be a parts guy. Also, like said above, if you get a cute or semi sarcastic answer, and sit on the part telling the customer you're out. You are much more of an ***. He likely didn't have any mechanical background. And really didn't know a hydraulic clutch has no cable. Who knows. Either way, we should NOT have to look up our own part numbers on Ronnies before going to our dealers. Hell, let that news out and no dealers will have parts counter help!

It's the same frustration with service "Writers" Schedulers at car dealers. They should have SOME damned mechanical aptitude to have the job. But most do not,,, simple questions throw them for a loop. I had a code on my Ford Power Stroke. The guy I talked to said, if you have a code you have to bring it in. It'll go into limp mode. I said Know it will for some codes, but will it for sure on this one. He said, it will for all codes. I asked to speak to a tech. When the tech got on he said, Oh that code, nah, it won't just don't drive it in the winter with it. (Heater code for Diesel Exhaust Fluid) I Drove it for 6 months with the code. Now I've deleted my 6.7 and put a Mini Max on it!

Last edited by JimTJr; 05-28-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:29 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
I do not see at all from the OP original post where he treated the parts guy in a bad way. I would have said the same thing. It was actually a teachable moment for the parts guy. I bet he will never ask that question again.
It was a teachable moment for both of them. The OP now knows to first research his parts online, and the parts guy will never forget the not so subtle jab at his brain fart. See, it all works out!

DJK

Old 05-28-2017, 07:26 AM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I was a parts guy at a Ford dealer 35 or so years ago when you had to look up parts in big books, no computers back then. You had to have some mechanical knowledge, but you also had to develop really thick skin. I really don't see the OP's comment as that bad. I would have educated the parts guy, just maybe in a little different way. Nowadays I anticipate that the Harley folks will know nothing, so I go in with the part numbers I want in hand. It's really easier for me and for them. Thirty-five years ago almost all males had at least some mechanical knowledge, but you have to remember that's not the case anymore.

Last edited by PeteF; 05-28-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: DUH HD parts guy