Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DUH HD parts guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

Oh boy!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:54 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,314 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Great thread...entertaining. Thanks

Old 05-22-2017, 12:32 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts
Thumbs down Omg

duh!!!

Last edited by jammerx; 05-22-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:50 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Maybe the reason he asked you if your bike had a hydraulic clutch was because the last half dozen geniuses looking for a clutch cable did have hydraulic clutches.
You see a lot of people asking how to adjust the hydro clutch on the Forums, the dealers probably get 10x as many requests for this so your post probably has a lot of truth to it.

Another thought, I don't know, but is there a year when some models started getting the hydro clutches mid year? So early production bikes had a cable and later produced bikes had a hydro clutch in the same year?

With my '06 Night Train, it was crazy how many parts were changed mid year on it. It was a bastard year for that model. I had brake pads given to me by an HD parts guy and had to return them because they weren't the same as the ones I pulled out of the caliper. When we looked in the book, he did give me the "correct" pads, but there was also another part # listed. It was a guessing game at which pads that year's Night Train took without having the pads with you to compare at the counter. The difference was just a tab, on one pad it was square cut, the other part # was shaped like a horn.

He had no idea, and had never came across this before. He asked the service guys about it and they explained a lot of the differences between models and mid year changes that can come up. At least it was a good teaching moment for the guy.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:19 AM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 45,801 Likes on 11,778 Posts

Most dealers only pay these guys a few bucks above minimum wage.
Don't expect a mechanical engineer who knows the entire parts manual for every bike built since 1903 for what they earn.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:27 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,834 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Anyone got a water pump for a Corvair?

Old 05-22-2017, 06:29 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

A local dealer here used to have a parts guy who knew a great deal about not only HD parts, but aftermarket parts as well. He was a real good guy to talk to and offered sound advice to anyone asking about buying anything for their HD, whether it be repairs or upgrades.

He and I actually became pretty good friends. One day his boss called him in his office and told him to quit recommending aftermarket parts to his customers. He said they didn't make as much money on aftermarket parts and from now on he was to recommend only HD parts. That conversation was the beginning of the end for my friend as an HD parts guy. He was fired soon after that.

That dealer hasn't had a decent guy behind the parts counter since.

Dennis

Old 05-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,974 Likes on 19,388 Posts

We all ( at least most of us ) weren't born knowing everything ... I can't imagine that an entry level parts counterperson is knocking down a six figure income ... yet

Old 05-22-2017, 06:54 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

I know a great guy that used to be a parts guy at Auto Zone. I walked in there one day as some dude was screaming and cussing Him out, then stormed out the door. I asked my buddy "What's up that dude's azz?", He said "Dude was looking for a alternator for a 10 year old Saab, so I found Him one - damn thing was $400.00, so He broke on me. Kinda chit happens everyday. What's up, man?"
Their job is not an easy one, even for the good ones.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,726 Likes on 844 Posts

I usually go to Napoleon Harley and Keith helps me out a lot. He has been there a long time and knows what/how to look up the parts I need. After I bought my RK from Napoleon in 2014, I ordered a few parts for it right away. My first interaction with Keith ever. I brought it back the next early summer for a "free" 1000 mile service. As I walked past the parts counter, Keith says "Hi Tracy, how's it going?" I was amazed he remembered my name. If I go to the one closest to me, they are less experienced. There is one guy at Signature that is pretty knowledgeable. I only go there because it is close, and only buy small ticket items, like wire terminals, seals, stuff I need right away. They usually let me swing around to the computer and let me show them what I need. I don't mind, and I don't say bad about them. It is just easier for me to find it than try to explain it.

Quick Reply: DUH HD parts guy