Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken brackets upper fairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:02 AM
anothernewb
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Broken brackets upper fairing - how to fix?

Noticed a rattle from the fairing this spring, Thinking it was a loose bolt - but yesterday the radio display died, so I took that as providence I was supposed to open up the fairing. and things just went downhill from there. I ended up completely rendering it (the radio) useless in the process of attempting to identify the issue, but I also noticed 2 broken brackets when I was working on it.

i've attached an image of where they're broken. both ends are snapped off where they bolt to the fairing. I'm no engineer - but I'm thinking this is the source of the rattle - and probably helped the radio faceplate loosen up the way it did.

So thoughts on how to repair these? One looks like a bolt on part. the other, looks like it's integrated into the whole fairing hardware.

Attached Thumbnails Broken brackets upper fairing-bluehd080.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:10 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

Harley has a upgrade for the vertical ones , very common problem. The small one broke from letting it go so long, those weren't broke on mine.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:15 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome. Lots of us have had this issue and there're numerous posts. My left upper bracket broke. I fixed it by adding a modified L bracket from the local hardware, using the existing connection into the inner fairing and drilling a few holes in the broken bracket that were used to attach the L bracket. I drilled the broken HD bracket in place. If you do the same, be super careful with the drill waste as you don't want metal shavings loose inside the fairing.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
Welcome. Lots of us have had this issue and there're numerous posts. My left upper bracket broke. I fixed it by adding a modified L bracket from the local hardware, using the existing connection into the inner fairing and drilling a few holes in the broken bracket that were used to attach the L bracket. I drilled the broken HD bracket in place. If you do the same, be super careful with the drill waste as you don't want metal shavings loose inside the fairing.
This. Common L brackets from the hardware store worked for me. The later model speaker brackets are improved over the earlier ones, but you didn't say what year you have. Alternatively you can source replacement vertical brackets but they are costlier and much more difficult to install.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:23 AM
TVan
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Try this guy out befor its too late. Put these on mine last summer alot cheaper than stock and stronger too. Had to send my radio in to Iron Cross Audio because of vibration damage. All 4 of my brackets were broken.
http://www.nwmachine.com/rfw/ Just bought more for my sons 07 classic, he just needed the upper ones. You can put these on without taking anything apart. Put over 60000 miles on my 07 ultra after the repair.
My sons 07 did the same. and the repair never failed on mine up to 117000 miles

The following users liked this post:
anothernewb (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 AM
anothernewb
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 100 Posts

Figured someone would have done the research. brackets looked very weak to me. Got the repair kit ordered. Thanks TVan.

Now I gotta go find a new radio.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:01 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I had planned big trip and noticed one of mine was broke so being in a crunch used L bracket got from Lowes. Later bought some nice stainless pieces from guy on eBay called Chopperdan0404. He has both vertical(my issue) and horizontal speaker brackets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairing-Supp...3D282181120377

Last edited by acchd; 05-18-2017 at 04:32 PM.
anothernewb (05-19-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 12:03 AM
whyrzwaldo
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

+++1 on Ragans Fab Works! Price is great and very easy to install. The kit has everything you need including a drill bit. Just installed both upper and lower kits on mine..

and a fyi. Chopperdan0404 is Dan Ragan of Ragan Fab Works. It is his eBay seller name.

Here's a link to a post I did about a week ago regarding it.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1176490-shout-out-to-dan-ragan-fab-works.html

Last edited by whyrzwaldo; 05-20-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:30 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I put some of those Fab Works support brackets on years ago, before I had any breakage, just to prevent the problem. It's believed the cause of the brackets to break may possibly be a weak or broken front motor mount, allowing too much vibration/shaking transmitted to the fairing. So check out the front motor mount too.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,343 Likes on 6,765 Posts

You may want to consider this product by Alloy Art Strong Inner Fairing Support Brackets.

fullautomike (05-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Broken brackets upper fairing