Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HowTo make Passing Lamps work on both low & high beam

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 06:23 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
"FREE" option for this is post #22 of this thread...no need to cut/splice/clip anything...too easy!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...is-used-3.html
i know it’s an old thread but was playing with aiming my leds tonight and followed Iceman’s advice for altering wires to enable passing lamps with high beam.Just wanted to give a shout out to Iceman. Took a few tries to get wires to release from connection but once done was super easy. No splicing, no rewiring just switch 2 wires and done. Thanks Iceman.

Last edited by Weeboy1; 05-20-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:05 PM
Sharkonhog
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took out headlight and my passing light wires are black gray blue purple. And not seeing a yellow wire

Old 09-13-2021, 05:19 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

2013 and older.... buy the adapter harness online for 15 bucks

2014 and newer.... trip t the dealer to hook up to the computer to enable it (CANBUS BS)

Old 09-15-2021, 02:47 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkonhog
Took out headlight and my passing light wires are black gray blue purple. And not seeing a yellow wire
on the 13 and older the yellow wire and orange red are under the dash switch panel not at the headlight/passing lamp connections.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:34 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkonhog
This is where we guess what bike you are working on....

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 01:09 AM
stanley88
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

I know this is an older thread, but when I asked my dealer if they could do the flash on my ‘22 road king for “passing lamps with high beam” they looked at me like I had 3 heads. Is there something more specific I need to tell them? Do I need to go back in the shop and do it for them?

Old 12-12-2022, 02:02 AM
dfixit1
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 122 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by NWTruck
Thanks for the reply, my 2000 RK doesn't really have a switch panel so I'll dig into the wiring diagrams and see if I can figure it out.
I've got an 03 FLHRCI. I have 2 switches on the top of the tripple tree, just forward of the gas tank. my rt. switch will kill the passing lamps and seems the lt. switch is an option for what ever?
I've got to wonder why those passing lamps go out on Hi beam as well. Might it be with the older halogen bulbs they would pull too much power/voltage thus keeping the battery voltage way down.
I just installed a kit. Daymaker headlight and passing lamps, LED's and wow what a difference. Around/ 88.95/95.18 door to door form Eastern performance Cycles on flea-bay. Cool to the touch and less voltage draw.
I find that as I get a bit older the extra light helps at night and gives the cage jockeys, a better chance of seeing me and not trying to kill me.
If you have that same switch set up maybe you could wire to it to keep the passing lamps on unless you decide to turn them off?
Let us know what you come up with. I may be doing the same thing now, just have to figure the best and easiest way to {Gett-er-Done}

Old 12-12-2022, 02:30 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Originally Posted by stanley88
I know this is an older thread, but when I asked my dealer if they could do the flash on my ‘22 road king for “passing lamps with high beam” they looked at me like I had 3 heads. Is there something more specific I need to tell them? Do I need to go back in the shop and do it for them?
Sort of hard to believe your dealer is not aware of this (unless you live in a state whereby such is not allowed)
My suggestion - go back and talk to the service manager. Simply tell him/her that when the low lights are on, you can turn the driving lights on. When you switch to high beam, those lights turn off. Let them know you want them to stay on. If he is not familiar, you might try a different dealership.

Just as an FYI, when I got my last new bike in 2021 and reminder the dealer to do this, he told me that they customarily set this up on every bike

stanley88 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 03:50 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,004 Likes on 2,555 Posts

I think this is what is done with the BCM

Fog Light (Auxillary)
This feature when enabled will tell the BCM to turn on your Fog Light (Auxiliary) when your high beams are turned on.

(NOTE: Touring models aux lights are controlled by the BCM, auxiliary lights have a B/BK wire that extends all the way to the BCM, which gives it control. Softail FLSTC models, fog lights are controlled by a physical switch. That switch is powered by the same BCM line as the headlamp. This means that due to the wiring in the motorcycle this feature is limited on softail models).

https://manual.technoresearch.info/m...nable-disable/

As to cutting and splicing it might seem such an easy thing to do but will be a pain to put the bike back to stock, IMO. I would get the harness lead or make my own.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 12-12-2022 at 03:57 AM.
stanley88 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 06:48 AM
cannot
Road Captain
Received 372 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by stanley88

My dealer did that for my '21 RK for free.

stanley88 (12-12-2022)

Quick Reply: HowTo make Passing Lamps work on both low & high beam