Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HowTo make Passing Lamps work on both low & high beam

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 558 Posts
Default Instructios i used to do my 09 ultra , Copied from HTT

1. Remove the outer fairing and take a close look at the wire bundle that goes to the headlight. Looking at the headlight connector, one of the wires will be yellow. This is the low-beam circuit.

2. Now peel back the plastic wire loom covering this bundle until you come to the point where the yellow wire splits off into two wires. One of the two wires will be a smaller gauge than the other. This smaller gauge wire is the one that supplies power to passing lamp switch.

3. Cut the smaller gauge wire from the splice point in the harness and then protect the main yellow wire that goes to the headlight before putting everything back in the wire loom. Since I am good with wiring, I just cut the splice out of the harness completely and soldered in a piece of yellow wire to replace it, using heat shrink to insulate the solder joints. If you prefer, you can also use splices to splice in a new wire segment. Again, you can leave the original splice joint in place, it's not gonna hurt anything as long as you cover it somehow to insulate it from the rest of the wiring in the bundle.

4. Elsewhere in that jumble of wires under the outer fairing you should find an orange wire with a white stripe. (It may have been one of the wires in the bundle that went to the headlight.) It will most likely have a black connector on it with a female blade terminal inside and it usually has a red or black rubber cap on it. This wire is powered by the accessory circuit whenever the ignition is on. It is only used on international models that require a specific kind lighting but is not used in the U.S.

5. All you gotta do is crimp a male blade terminal on the yellow wire identified in step 2 above and plug it in to the unused orange wire. That's it, you're done.

Now you'll be able to operate your passing lamps regardless of the high or low beam of your headlight. Bear in mind that you may be in violation of some state laws that require you to extinguish your passing lamps when your high-beam is illuminated.

Ride safe!

The following users liked this post:
budha9109 (06-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:44 PM
NWTruck
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Thank-you, TGPB. I'm on it !!

Old 01-10-2019, 08:00 PM
NWTruck
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Okay, I just did this. Used BigDave's method as I already have a fender tip light, and if I ever need an accessory 12v switched wire I will do this the other way.
I got home from work, kissed my better half and went to the garage for a beer. Stood there looking at the 'King and thought Self, take the headlight out and just look at the wiring. 1 hour later it is back together and I have switchable passing lamps !! Thanks to all for the help, love this site !!

Old 06-02-2019, 01:25 AM
Jerry Harshman Jr.
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Here ya go, part # 69200441 $29.95

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...re-harness-kit

There's a way to wire it without this harness, but as inexpensive as the harness is, why mess with it.
From what I'm seeing the harness only works for bikes upto 2013 I'm trying to figure out how to do this on my 2018 ultra classic

Old 06-02-2019, 02:10 AM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Harshman Jr.
From what I'm seeing the harness only works for bikes upto 2013 I'm trying to figure out how to do this on my 2018 ultra classic

I do believe its a dealer flash...........

Old 06-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Thanks

Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 PM
Wmbailey5
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

On my 2013 RKC I spliced into headlight and highbean and low beam running lights on.

On my 2017 Limited I had the deal flash and they are on all the time.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I told a guy he had passing light out. He said they do that when blinkers are on. WTF value is that? Harley desperate to think of new features?????

Old 06-04-2019, 09:19 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,691 Likes on 11,262 Posts

Originally Posted by PoCoBob
This is what infused on my 2012. It was simple plug & play, and you could still turn the spots off if you wanted. They would then turn on with either low or hi beam.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:20 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,691 Likes on 11,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmbailey5
On my 2013 RKC I spliced into headlight and highbean and low beam running lights on.

On my 2017 Limited I had the deal flash and they are on all the time.
If the dealer did the flash properly on your ‘17, then you can turn the spots off & on, with either the low or hi beams on.

Quick Reply: HowTo make Passing Lamps work on both low & high beam