Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plugs porcelain white

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts
Default spark plugs porcelain white

The title pretty much says it all. Reading on this forum I'm under the impression that one can not read spark plugs from a fuel injected twin cam. Fair enough, how ever I pulled mine out and noticed both are sooty around the base of the threads and ground strap but white and clean on the porcelain center. Electrode is NOT sooty. I'm running a power commander and the bike runs fine or I think it does. Anything to be concerned about?

randy

Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 558 Posts

If there is no sign of blistering on the porcelain then enjoy the ride

Just my opinion of coarse but mine are that way and in at 75,000 now and mine runs great

Dave

Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
The title pretty much says it all. Reading on this forum I'm under the impression that one can not read spark plugs from a fuel injected twin cam. Fair enough, how ever I pulled mine out and noticed both are sooty around the base of the threads and ground strap but white and clean on the porcelain center. Electrode is NOT sooty. I'm running a power commander and the bike runs fine or I think it does. Anything to be concerned about?

randy
====================

!st couple questions.

* Are plugs stock heat range?

* How many miles were put on plugs prior to checking them?

* What were riding cond right before you pulled the plugs,were you cruising at 70-75mph for quite a while & then pulled the plugs right after that with little to no idle or slow speed just prior to pulling the plugs?

* Or did you pull plugs after doing normal riding around town in mixed driving cond's then pulled the plugs?

* What fuel/gas are running and did you add any fuel additives to it like for strong fuel injector cleaner?

Even though it's true today's unleaded fuel (esp with 10% ethanol) doesn't color the plugs as much or fast as leaded fuel of yrs past did did if his plugs are pure white/look like new post a few hundred miles either your bikes fuel calibration/your fuel curve is too lean or your running wrong too hot of heat range plugs.

Even with todays fuel plugs should look a very light tan color esp with a properly tuned EFI setup and not talking a carb setup that arent always setup/dialed in pefectly where efi can always keep fuel curve where it should be when properly (not too lean or too rich) setup to begin with.

Your twin cam running too hot could also add the plugs staying cleaner/looking more white too and guesss what.motor running too lean can cause combustion chamber/engine temp to increase too.

But since your running a tuner it's very likely improperly tuned,just how far off/too lean it is @ diff throttle positions (idle/off idle/@ cruise & WOT wont be known till a good tuner/dyno guy thats knows what he's doing checks it out using an analyzer.

BTW,my twin cam has no tuner per say w-stock ECM fuel curve and stock heat range plugs are guess what,LIGTH TAN when i check them and thats with an external breather setup i installed that keeps hot oil misted crankcase gases out of intake so the motor doesn't burn it that can color plugs some too.

Try this,simply do a search " SPARK PLUGS " here in HDForums because guys often post pics of the plugs from their bikes (many twin cam!) so you can see for yourself if the majority of plugs from twin cam EFI bikes look pure white/like new or have any color to them or not & make your own decision from there as to are your plugs being pure white could be an issue/too lean.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 05-17-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Anything to be concerned about?

randy
No. You're fine.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:21 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
====================

!st couple questions.

* Are plugs stock heat range?

* How many miles were put on plugs prior to checking them?

* What were riding cond right before you pulled the plugs,were you cruising at 70-75mph for quite a while & then pulled the plugs right after that with little to no idle or slow speed just prior to pulling the plugs?

* Or did you pull plugs after doing normal riding around town in mixed driving cond's then pulled the plugs?

* What fuel/gas are running and did you add any fuel additives to it like for strong fuel injector cleaner?

Even though it's true today's unleaded fuel (esp with 10% ethanol) doesn't color the plugs as much or fast as leaded fuel of yrs past did did if his plugs are pure white/look like new post a few hundred miles either your bikes fuel calibration/your fuel curve is too lean or your running wrong too hot of heat range plugs.

Even with todays fuel plugs should look a very light tan color esp with a properly tuned EFI setup and not talking a carb setup that arent always setup/dialed in pefectly where efi can always keep fuel curve where it should be when properly (not too lean or too rich) setup to begin with.

Your twin cam running too hot could also add the plugs staying cleaner/looking more white too and guesss what.motor running too lean can cause combustion chamber/engine temp to increase too.

But since your running a tuner it's very likely improperly tuned,just how far off/too lean it is @ diff throttle positions (idle/off idle/@ cruise & WOT wont be known till a good tuner/dyno guy thats knows what he's doing checks it out using an analyzer.

BTW,my twin cam has no tuner per say w-stock ECM fuel curve and stock heat range plugs are guess what,LIGTH TAN when i check them and thats with an external breather setup i installed that keeps hot oil misted crankcase gases out of intake so the motor doesn't burn it that can color plugs some too.

Try this,simply do a search " SPARK PLUGS " here in HDForums because guys often post pics of the plugs from their bikes (many twin cam!) so you can see for yourself if the majority of plugs from twin cam EFI bikes look pure white/like new or have any color to them or not & make your own decision from there as to are your plugs being pure white could be an issue/too lean.

Scott
I know you try to be helpful, much appreciated and your experience is well received but...

Please tone it down just a bit for those of us with information overload issues?

JK bro. Excellent intel.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,059 Posts

One can read plugs on a fuel injected engine just fine. It's the same as with carbureted plugs. It's easier to make changes on a carbureted engine typically.

Very generically, from your description, I'd say you're fine, are running a clean gasoline, and the fuel mixture is on the lean side of the spectrum.

This is a pretty good chart:
http://www.fatheadsmotorcycles.com/w..._condition.jpg

Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 AM
jsgiunta
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if using non HD plugs will void the HD warranty?

Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Only if it can be proved non Harley plugs caused failure.

The following users liked this post:
jsgiunta (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 4,364 Posts

I've read that some non-HD plugs will not play well with the ion sensing that pulls timing when detonation is detected.... that could eventually hurt the engine.

I have not experienced this, I always opt for the HD plugs for this reason, to be safe...

The following users liked this post:
jsgiunta (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:26 AM
jsgiunta
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I've read that some non-HD plugs will not play well with the ion sensing that pulls timing when detonation is detected.... that could eventually hurt the engine.

I have not experienced this, I always opt for the HD plugs for this reason, to be safe...

Would this be something in play on my 2016 1200 Sporty?

Quick Reply: spark plugs porcelain white