Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest easiest way to make stock radio Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:06 PM
bobby5
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest easiest way to make stock radio Bluetooth?

I have a 09 street glide and want to make the stock HK stereo bluetooth. i did searching but every thread i found was like 5 years old. i was wondering what was the easiest and cheapest way to add bluetooth without a bunch of wire showing. I saw were hogtunes had a bluetooth adapter i was curious if that was worth $120 or is there alot cheaper options?

thanks

Old 05-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,193 Likes on 563 Posts

Can buy a bluetooth transmitter/receiver from amazon for $30 bucks for a good one, less for a cheapo. It plugs into the aux port and you pair your phone with it. Very small and easily velcroed to the fairing. I used one for a season, held a charge all day and never had a problem with it, worked great. Don't need it after I traded my bike, if you want to try it PM me your address and it's yours for free.

Iron Cross will update your radio, but pricey.

The following users liked this post:
nobodyknowsme (05-14-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts
Old 05-13-2017, 04:10 PM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

agreed, i done this for a long time. very practical.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:27 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I agree with these guys - if you definitely need BT, then plugging BT receiver into aux port is the cheapest easiest way.

If you're looking to use an alternate audio source (phone, ipod, etc) but don't necessarily need BT per se, you can get an FM transmitter that plugs into the device, and tune your radio to the matching FM station. I've used these in the past with mixed results in cars - never actually tried on bike.

My bike has the HD iPod kit installed (thanks to the previous owner) so I use an iPod dock BT receiver - plugs into the 30-pin ipod plug in the saddlebag, and I transmit to it from my phone mounted on the fairing. This doesn't need anything plugged into the aux port, so looks a little cleaner - but definitely not a 'cheap' way to go unless you already have the iPod dock kit. I actually could use a replacement cable for mine - but I haven't seen a cheap takeoff kit around anywhere....

Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

You can buy a Bluetooth Rx/Tx that plugs into the AUX port. It will need to be recharged as you use it. I paid about $80 I think for one that mounts inside the fairing. It sill has to use the AUX port but I don't have to charge anything as it ties into any 12V source. Good luck on your hunt......

Old 05-13-2017, 07:59 PM
DigitalDave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-13-2017, 10:17 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Can buy a bluetooth transmitter/receiver from amazon for $30 bucks for a good one, less for a cheapo. It plugs into the aux port and you pair your phone with it. Very small and easily velcroed to the fairing. I used one for a season, held a charge all day and never had a problem with it, worked great. Don't need it after I traded my bike, if you want to try it PM me your address and it's yours for free.

Iron Cross will update your radio, but pricey.
Can't get cheaper than this,here's a great offer from obviously a good guy!
I use a cheapo blackweb adapter from Wal Mart,short cable and velcro'd to the bars,cheap,simple and works.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:55 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

when I had my old ride, I bought a cheap BT reciever on amazon and added an input to the radio and wired it out the rear. added a cigarette lighter under the fairing so It would charge while riding. worked great, except if you didn't ride for a few days. it would lose its charge since you had to pull the fairing off to hit the off switch. Ended up keeping the wiring under the fairing and moving it to my shield bag so i could turn it off when not in use.

It worked well for me.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:48 AM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,094 Likes on 3,494 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby5
I have a 09 street glide and want to make the stock HK stereo bluetooth. i did searching but every thread i found was like 5 years old. i was wondering what was the easiest and cheapest way to add bluetooth without a bunch of wire showing. I saw were hogtunes had a bluetooth adapter i was curious if that was worth $120 or is there alot cheaper options?

thanks
This is the one I use. It works great & will hook up 2 helmets, Zumo GPS to radio via 7 pin cable to plug.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sena-Technol...NXF~Ww&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Cheapest easiest way to make stock radio Bluetooth?