Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest easiest way to make stock radio Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:38 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Can buy a bluetooth transmitter/receiver from amazon for $30 bucks for a good one, less for a cheapo. It plugs into the aux port and you pair your phone with it. Very small and easily velcroed to the fairing. I used one for a season, held a charge all day and never had a problem with it, worked great. Don't need it after I traded my bike, if you want to try it PM me your address and it's yours for free.
Class act move!!!

Old 06-13-2020, 11:39 AM
balson
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
I agree with these guys - if you definitely need BT, then plugging BT receiver into aux port is the cheapest easiest way.

If you're looking to use an alternate audio source (phone, ipod, etc) but don't necessarily need BT per se, you can get an FM transmitter that plugs into the device, and tune your radio to the matching FM station. I've used these in the past with mixed results in cars - never actually tried on bike.

My bike has the HD iPod kit installed (thanks to the previous owner) so I use an iPod dock BT receiver - plugs into the 30-pin ipod plug in the saddlebag, and I transmit to it from my phone mounted on the fairing. This doesn't need anything plugged into the aux port, so looks a little cleaner - but definitely not a 'cheap' way to go unless you already have the iPod dock kit. I actually could use a replacement cable for mine - but I haven't seen a cheap takeoff kit around anywhere....

This in interesting. I have run an AUX cable from the AUX port to my phone and the artist/song name does not appear on the front panel of my HK head unit. I do already have the iPod interface though, and anything that plays through the iPod interface will display the artist and song name on the HK heads unit, which is nice.

Does running this BT receiver through the iPod interface allow the HK head unit to display the artist and song names o the HK front panel. If so, I need to try this. This sounds like it could be the way to go for me.

Jim

Old 06-13-2020, 02:05 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

That's the one I use,but without the pin to the radio.I use an 1/8 audio cable,with the MPOW unit velcroed to my right handlebar clamp.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:21 PM
balson
Novice

Originally Posted by balson
This in interesting. I have run an AUX cable from the AUX port to my phone and the artist/song name does not appear on the front panel of my HK head unit. I do already have the iPod interface though, and anything that plays through the iPod interface will display the artist and song name on the HK heads unit, which is nice.

Does running this BT receiver through the iPod interface allow the HK head unit to display the artist and song names o the HK front panel. If so, I need to try this. This sounds like it could be the way to go for me.

Jim

First off, I have the HD iPod relocation kit. So the only I purchased had 30 pin female adapters that allowed the 30 pin cable from th iPod relocation kit to plug right into the BT receiver.

So I tried 2 of these BT receivers. From Amazon I bought a Bovee BT receiver and found that it was hard to get it to pair with my iPhone. After about 10-12 tries or so, it finally paired. Once paired, I would then press the hand controls through the AM, FM until I came upon the iPod selection. The system didn't recognize this Bovee at all and after about 2 seconds went back to the FM selection.

So I bought another Bovee. This one worked slightly better. After 10-12 tries it finally paired with my phone. I then selected iPod from the hand controls and I could hear a faint sound of music. Even if I turned up the volume to 11, could barely make out what was playing. Sent both of them back to Amazon. 2 stinks and you're out.

Then I bought a Samson BT receiver. This one works great. Still have it. My only complaint is that on the head unit, it says iPod not Respond. I was hoping that it would display the artist and track info, but it does not. I'm keeping it anyway. It does at least play music.

Jim

Old 06-27-2020, 11:56 PM
matt_eglide
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I just installed the Fusion MS-BT100 Bluetooth module and ran the aux cord from it under the radio and it works perfect. Wired it to the usb outlet I put in place of the cigarette lighter so it comes on with the bike. Pairing is super easy and can play any music from my phone very easy.

The only negative is you can control anything but the volume at speed with the hand controls. But that’s the case with any aftermarket Bluetooth module without major mods to either the radio or hand controls.

The following users liked this post:
strtglde11 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 05:02 PM
aboatguy
Advanced
Received 89 Likes on 36 Posts

the Metra BT-HD01 Bluetooth Audio Interface is not the cheapest option however, it slide into a spot under my fairing like it was factory module It
quickly synchs with my iPhones (I've had a couple different iPhones since I've installed the module, I can skip, replay, control the volume from the stock Harley hand control buttons. It works like a factory I tunes player. If mine went bad I'd buy another since it is not overly expensive and I ride every day so it is nice to hear my play list or directions from my phone when going somewhere new. the down side is you don't receive calls (more of an upside) and you have to plug the address into your phone . I leave my phone in a beer coozy in the left glove box on the usb charger. It seems to keep my phone charged too so life is good.

Mike

1957buick (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 08:37 PM
nickrat
Tourer
Received 125 Likes on 67 Posts

I use the Metra BT-HD01 too. I've been using it for 3 years now and don't have complaints. It plugs into the harness for the radio, shows up on the radio as BT and handlebar functions work with it. I like that I don't have to worry about charging it, don't have anything sticking out of the radio and don't have any cords to make it work. I think I paid around $150 for it and would do it again if I had too, I use it every time I get in the bike.

1957buick (06-28-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 07:54 AM
balson
Novice

Originally Posted by balson
First off, I have the HD iPod relocation kit. So the only I purchased had 30 pin female adapters that allowed the 30 pin cable from th iPod relocation kit to plug right into the BT receiver.

So I tried 2 of these BT receivers. From Amazon I bought a Bovee BT receiver and found that it was hard to get it to pair with my iPhone. After about 10-12 tries or so, it finally paired. Once paired, I would then press the hand controls through the AM, FM until I came upon the iPod selection. The system didn't recognize this Bovee at all and after about 2 seconds went back to the FM selection.

So I bought another Bovee. This one worked slightly better. After 10-12 tries it finally paired with my phone. I then selected iPod from the hand controls and I could hear a faint sound of music. Even if I turned up the volume to 11, could barely make out what was playing. Sent both of them back to Amazon. 2 stinks and you're out.

Then I bought a Samson BT receiver. This one works great. Still have it. My only complaint is that on the head unit, it says iPod not Respond. I was hoping that it would display the artist and track info, but it does not. I'm keeping it anyway. It does at least play music.

Jim

Well after riding with the Samson Bluetooth receiver for a few weeks, I'd have to say that the sound quality is not as great as I initially thought it was. There seems to be a little bit of distortion associated with it. So, I'f off to look for the next best thing.

Jim

Old 07-05-2020, 08:06 AM
balson
Novice

Originally Posted by nickrat
I use the Metra BT-HD01 too. I've been using it for 3 years now and don't have complaints. It plugs into the harness for the radio, shows up on the radio as BT and handlebar functions work with it. I like that I don't have to worry about charging it, don't have anything sticking out of the radio and don't have any cords to make it work. I think I paid around $150 for it and would do it again if I had too, I use it every time I get in the bike.

I'll be ordering one of these BT receivers. I'll report back on how it works out for me.

Jim

Old 07-05-2020, 08:21 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

i have this, comes with a cord so I was able to get it out of the weather. And it can be charged while in use.

Quick Reply: Cheapest easiest way to make stock radio Bluetooth?