Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Clutch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Bogie_71
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Road King Clutch Adjustment

OK did my first 3-hole fluid change + clutch adjustment myself at 10k rather than paying the dealer. Everything seemed to go OK.

However now I am not sure if I am super paranoid about the clutch or if I screwed something up. Clutch starts to engage like it used to but the bulk of the friction zone feels farther out than it used to be.

Not sure if it was just in need of adjustment or if I screwed something up. As far as I can tell the clutch is fully disengaging but it does seem easier to up shift without the clutch. Sometimes I preload the shifter a bit and I went to do that and shifted right from 2nd into 3rd.

Power feels the same and if I crank the throttle the acceleration matched the RPM. Shifting actually feels a lot smoother than it did prior to the adjustment.

So am I just being too paranoid since I am a newb wrencher? Or is there something I can look for to see if I need to open it back up and re-adjust? I did the adjustment while it was cold.

The only thing that seemed strange is that it was in neutral prior to adjustment and I had to put it back in neutral when I got it off the lift (never shifted it).

Old 05-12-2017, 03:48 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 229 Likes on 135 Posts
Cool Did it right !!!

sounds like you have done the adjustment right ....now that the clutch plates and all are seated in good ...that adjustment put it back out on the end where the disengagement should start anyway ...which it turns allows for more pull for better disengagement of the clutch ...which allows for ez'er shifting and finding neutral ....

now ...ride it !!!

Old 05-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Bogie_71
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool. Now just to not worry about if I got the lock nut tight enough and I'll be set.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:21 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 229 Likes on 135 Posts
Cool Don't worry ...

Guess what ...if you don't have it tight enough ...it will let you know soon enough ....so don't worry ....if really unsure,
get one of these ...makes it much ez'er to tighten the lock nut while holding the allen ....

Last edited by springers4ever; 05-12-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 05-12-2017, 10:22 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,025 Likes on 4,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogie_71
snip

Not sure if it was just in need of adjustment or if I screwed something up. As far as I can tell the clutch is fully disengaging but it does seem easier to up shift without the clutch. Sometimes I preload the shifter a bit and I went to do that and shifted right from 2nd into 3rd.
If you want engagement closer to the grip slacken the cable a little. Shifting without the clutch shift will make no difference. Pre-loading the shifter and shifting with a light tap of the clutch is easier with a farther out "friction zone"

snip

The only thing that seemed strange is that it was in neutral prior to adjustment and I had to put it back in neutral when I got it off the lift (never shifted it).
You bumped the shift lever or someone else is mucking with you. Clutch adjustment won't place the bike in gear.