Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will this HELP?

Most stealers, even my own, want to sell me a SERT to help me with my HEAT issues. I visited another local dealer today enquiring about getting the K & N Hi flow air filter kit. At first they (parts) told me I'd need a tuner to re-map my ECM, but told me to check with service. I explained my reluctance, to the service guy, about having to buy a SERT or PCIII just to rid myself of the HEAT issue. I intend on keeping my bike as stock (for touring) possible. He entered my model into the puter looking for applicable updates and low and behold came up with several. Two were for canned re-maps for Stage 1 (w/air filteronly) and the last was for the parade duty (kills the rear cylinder) update. Several other dealers denied these were availabe or existed, "buy the tuner...your problems will be over", was their only reply.

So, should have the K & N by weeks end and will have the dealer install and update the ECM. One step at a time, hope this helps (with the heat). What does the collective think?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:04 PM
jwmu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will this HELP?

The Stage I ECM update will help, but it won't solve the heat issue. I did this and ended up going with a Fuelpak (great with V&H slip ons).

The only real way to know is to dyno your bike as I did before and after.

good luck

Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

first step in making it run cooler is to make the AFR richer. the lean condition of the '07s are the primary culprit with the heat issue. course, bigger engine, less flowing exhaust and other conditions don't help, but the lean AFR mandated to HD by the EPA really doesn't help.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

couple things......

the download is more geared for 'idle' where it can shut down the #2 cylinder for a bit. (I'm speaking only for the '07s and no earlier models).

This isn't going to help dramatically with the heat issues during normal riding. You are running lean. adding a higher air flow filter isn't going to help in it of itself. Already you have too much air to fuel. Adding more air isn't going to 'cool it down'. Adding more FUEL to mix with the air will help cool it down.

Just saw a post from road Glider about widebands for you bike to help with the heat issue by richening up idle and will work with PCIII/SERT/FUEL PACKS. Here is the post and that post contains a link to Nightrider's site talking about installing some WideBand O2 Sensors instead of the current narrowband sensors:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1731350/tm.htm

Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You mention that they showed you two stage 1 downloads. How much are they charging you for that? Did they tell you what the difference is between those two? I was only aware that there is one stage 1 ecm download (re-map). They usually charge about $150 for that one. I have the SE A/C and the stage 1 ecm download along with SE slip ons. I have more power and it comes on at a lower rpm so obviously I have more fuel going in. I like the download, but I still have a fair bit of heat whenever I have to sit in traffic. Why are you reluctant to add a fuel tuner? I didn't think I wanted one myself hence the ecm update. I have changed my mind and am adding a PC. As far as cruising and reliability, I don't think the PC will hurt that at all. From what I understand, if you have a problem with the PC, you can simply disconnect it and revert back to the original ECM map immediately.

Dave.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer

Thanks Iceman for the link. Dave, here is a post I made recently about the calibration. Have any Idea, will it help?

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1743442/m...tm.htm#1743442

Thanks,
John

Old 06-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

To truly rid your ride of the high temps you are seeing you will need to do four things. This is the cheapest way to bring the temps down and is the route I took since I do not plan on making engine changes in the near future.

Add the following:
Screaming Eagle A/C $140
Rush slip-on mufflers (2.25" baffles) $300
V&H Fuelpak $200 on ebay

HD premium oil cooler $300

This combonation of parts took my oil temps from 250 deg to below 220 deg and that's a difference I can feel when riding. So for $1000 I got the HD I had dreamed of!!

Old 06-10-2007, 03:24 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer

Bob, the point of my many posts on the heat topic is, we shouldn't have to spend our hard earned bucks on the problem, Heat Issue. Performance upgrades if thats your bag, YES! Chrome, YES! Fix the HEAT problem, NO WAY!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

I agree I should not have to address the heat problem with my hard earned cash but the fact of the matter is HD is trying to be EPA compliant and to do that they are selling the bikes straight from the factory very lean. Now if you only ride in 80 deg weather on the hwy at 60 mph then you will probably never have a problem. I personally did not want my $21,000 bike running 245 deg so I threw another $1000 at it to make the ride more enjoyable.