Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 AM
cc_Penguin
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Speedo Sensor

Ok, so I had issues with the signals not auto canceling and the speedo needle jumping around, and eventually just stopped working all together. I pulled the sensor and cleaned the fuzzies off of it, it helped for a couple hundred miles then crapped out again. So, while I ordered a new set of keys for my bike (see what did you do to your bagger today to find that the original keys are up on the Blue Ridge Parkway somewhere.. gah), I picked up a speedo sensor and replaced it yesterday. I did notice that the old sensor was extremely "magnetic" and actually stuck on the pipes as I was trying to figure out how to get the wires around the starter. I'm assuming that this is what happens, the sensor gets "magnetized" and just stops picking up the gearing? I wonder if there would be a way to "de-magnetize" it if that's the case.... has anyone tried?

Yes, I'm aware that it's a fairly simple replacement part, however I'm just a curious soul with an electrical background.....

Old 05-09-2017, 10:32 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the pickup uses a magnet, just like a guitar pickup or the sensor on a car distributor ( some- post breaker points).

Could be your replacement version uses a weaker magnet ( less gauss)

never had one fail ( only have the 1 on my 09, rest have been cable drive)

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-09-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:32 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Have you changed the lube in your transmission? If you have fuzz on the speed sensor, there is probably fuzz floating around in the lube. The magnet on the drain plug can only hold so much. Might help to avoid problems with the new sensor.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:59 PM
cc_Penguin
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems that the new sensor didn't have as strong magnetic attraction as the old one did, so this is what got my curiosity up...

Yes, I have changed the transmission fluid recently and it looked pretty good and clean. I guess the "fuzz" around the sensor has been there for a while...

Thanks for the responses.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:10 PM
nadajoey
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

old post i know... but i just replaced my speed sensor on my 04 Softail and noticed that the new speed sensor is weaker than the old speed sensor. is that a fact or something created over time?