Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different kind of windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:35 PM
grubsie
Cruiser
Received 93 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Different kind of windshield.

You guys have been invaluable so far in helping me with my first Harley (1997 Road King) so I have another question. I promise there will be more. Maybe lots more.

Got my bad front wheel bearings changed out. Was a lot easier to set up to the correct tolerance than i expected.

Even though I am still figuring out the correct handlebars, I am still riding the bike as much as I can.

The next thing that is bugging me is the windshield. I am assuming that the one that came on the bike is stock.

It seems that when riding going straight, the windshield is fine. However, when cornering, it seems like I am getting a 1/2 view between the windshield and clear view of the road. It's really frustrating like I want to rip the windshield off the bike. It's like the view is distorted at leaning angles.

Is there options for a different windshield setups. Maybe wider than stock or am I looking for taller? Taller and wider? Links to any options?

Oh, and thanks again everybody!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:00 AM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I use the standard height OEM Harley windshield and I'm 6'0" tall, find myself looking over the windshield most of the time. I would say I'm only looking through it if I want to see nearly straight down in front of the wheel in a turn. If that is also what you are experiencing you might need a shorter version or different style windshield but I don't see the improvement you gain? Eyes and head should generally be looking where you want to go in a turn, not downwards.

Check out the different style and height options on the long ride shields page. A different style or height might improve things for you. Maybe I'm mistaking your problem.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I hated looking through the shield of a Road King from the glare. Give LRS a try and you will be more than happy. Mine is a dark tint, at about nose level and really cuts down on buffeting. A call will help you get the right shield the first time.

http://www.longrideshields.com/

Old 05-08-2017, 05:29 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 2,702 Posts

I'm 5'9" and replaced the stock shield with a 18" LRS shield and find it the perfect height. I can look over it going straight and through corners.

rk classic.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:44 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Call LRS, they will walk you thru the size you need to FIT YOU.
Best quality and price, hands down.
Poly carbonate is a must.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

The stock shield sucks. I decided to go no shield with a full face. Its working great at this point, although id still like to pick up a shield. Probably be a long ride deluxe with recurve. Im 6ft1 with a corbin dual tour and its always in my line of site