Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My helmet feel tight on jaws

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:45 AM
preetindersinghg@gmail.com
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My helmet feel tight on jaws

I have a LS2 FF325 (XL size)helmet which I bought some 15 days back, this is my first time with any helmet, I have wore it twice first for a 100KM ride and then for a short 30-35KM ride.
the issue I face is that past first 15min of the ride I start feeling pain in my jaws, and it becomes irritating, and the pleasure of riding vanishes. my friends and the sales person told me that it will loosen up and take the shape of my head.
first question: will it ever loosen up?
Second Question: if it will, how long does it take to break in?

Old 05-05-2017, 03:42 AM
tgmotoman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

yes it will break in a little, but if it is hurting after only 15 minutes then I suspect it will not ever get to a point you like it.

I would look the internet an see if you can get smaller replacement cheek pads for it. 5mm on each side might make the world of difference in comfort.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,109 Likes on 663 Posts

Most quality helmets offer interchangeable padding so you can customize the fit. But the cheek pads are supposed to be somewhat tight. When you open and close your mouth you should feel like you're gonna bite your cheeks. That's when you know it's fitting properly. It's a shame how many people out there are wearing helmets that are too loose because they're more comfortable and the user doesn't want to deal with the snug fit until the helmet is broken in.

My Shoei Neotec helmet was tight to the point of being uncomfortable when I bought it. But I followed the recommendations and kept wearing it. The more I wore it, the more comfortable it became. Now it fits perfect.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:21 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Glad you are wearing a helmet in the first place. It will break in my helmet was tight too.
There is always gonna be tough guys and guys that want to be seen on their HD without a helmet. I'm to cool for a helmet, it's my right to not wear a helmet...bla,bla.
If you like your face, family, life wear a helmet.
Safety always people. IMO

Old 05-05-2017, 07:34 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

If you can't chew gum,cheek pads are to big.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:46 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
or...

Old 05-05-2017, 07:53 AM
BeSharp
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I have what is referred to as a "hard to fit" head shape. It's technically a long-oval. The ONLY helmet that I've found for me that is comfortable is the LS2. So perhaps if there's a basic mismatch between the shape of your head and the fit of the helmet you'll never get the comfort you want. All helmets other than the LS2, left me with a big red hot spot on my forehead. The good news for you is that if the LS2 is not a great fit for you, at least it wasn't too much money spent.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:52 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
Glad you are wearing a helmet in the first place. It will break in my helmet was tight too.
There is always gonna be tough guys and guys that want to be seen on their HD without a helmet. I'm to cool for a helmet, it's my right to not wear a helmet...bla,bla.
If you like your face, family, life wear a helmet.
Safety always people. IMO

Totally agree. Wearing a helmet is part of being a responsible rider/adult.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by GTK

That's actually incorrect. If you CAN chew gum without biting your cheeks, the cheek pads are too loose. They're supposed to fit snug enough to where they push on the cheeks some. Remember, the helmet need to be tight enough to where it doesn't move around or get ripped off the riders head during a crash. That can't happen if someone wears a helmet that's too big because they don't want to allow a proper sized one to break in.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

There is no substitute for visiting a shop/dealer that has a trained helmet fitter. Transformed comfort for my wife and, even better, the fitter was drop-dead gorgeous!

Quick Reply: My helmet feel tight on jaws