Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a code

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:17 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Got a code

Po562 I believe its a low voltage code. I havent had any trouble from the bike at all so naturally the warranty runs out and this starts happening. Couple months ago I had some more codes pop up. All dealt with voltage, I think maybe high voltage codes that time. Had a HD mechanic buddy look into it and he thought it was either the stator or the rectifier. He tested the stator and it was good. So I ordered a rectifier off amazon (it had all positive reviews I swear) Anyways put it on and it blowed the main fuse. Put the old rectifier back on and a new fuse. still throwing this code. The bike runs fine other than the very first time it throwed a code, it shut my cruise off for a second. Couple of weeks ago, My buddy put it on the computer at the dealer. It showed no current codes or historical codes. I know damn well it had tripped codes. Im guessing its a loose wire or connection somewhere. Anybody run across a similar issue? Looking for ideas here.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

my voltage regulator started going bad, fine, low voltage, and would repeat. got new regulator from a shop. installed it then to much voltage. took it back ordered from internet and installed everything is back to normal. did not from dealer because they do not take back if its bad unless they install it. don't know if its the same problem. just some more info to use. good luck.
kroozeabout.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Mr. Sawyer, generally, no returns on electrical parts is pretty much the case across the board. The reason is that over the years, people have taken the 'shotgun approach' with diagnosing problems...they buy an electrical part, try it, isn't the problem, then they want to return it for a refund or trade for another part they suspect might be the problem.

Mmmm...nope.

And I'm not talking just DIY guys either...this was often the case with experienced 'mechanics'...

Old 05-04-2017, 03:26 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Had a couple lights pop up on the speedo of my '06 RK last month. Retrieved the code and it was the same as yours. Wasn't charging properly. I had zero funds to put it in the shop. Took a gamble and replaced the voltage regulator. Got lucky. All is well.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

The standard "wisdom" for intermittent electrical stuff is to check battery connections tight and clean, same with the opposite ends of the same wires. If that doesn't help, then the trouble shooting begins. I have had excellent results with a Cycle Electric replacement voltage regulator. Should you wind up needing a new voltage regulator, at least check them out.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:10 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

not sure but think it was in 12 or 13 harley had a bad batch of regulators get out.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:45 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by head
Had a couple lights pop up on the speedo of my '06 RK last month. Retrieved the code and it was the same as yours. Wasn't charging properly. I had zero funds to put it in the shop. Took a gamble and replaced the voltage regulator. Got lucky. All is well.
Why "get lucky" why not TEST the charging system and find out WHAT part has failed? The tests are very simple, take 5 minutes and are in the service manual!

Old 05-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts

I had low voltage problems with my bike. It was covered under the 2012 voltage regulator recall. That replacement regulator last 1 year. I upgraded to the high output alternator from HD and still had low voltage problems. What I finally found was that the dirty ground was not making a good connection back to the battery. On my particular bike 2012 FLHTK there are 2 ground studs in front of the battery. The clean ground is on the right and the dirty ground is on the left. The clean ground has a direct path to the battery and the dirty ground doesn't. If you look at the wiring diagram the voltage regulator grounds to the dirty ground. What I did was I ran a wire directly from the dirty ground to the negative post of the battery. Problem solved. I hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:14 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Why "get lucky" why not TEST the charging system and find out WHAT part has failed? The tests are very simple, take 5 minutes and are in the service manual!
I was thinking the same thing. Don't even need a service manual. It is all over the internet.

http://blog.jpcycles.com/step-by-ste...arging-system/

Old 05-06-2017, 12:35 AM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Completely a financial decision and a need to ride. It worked. Simple as that. Could not afford anything over and above the regulator at the time.