Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken fairing bracket, again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007 | 10:34 AM
Varooom
|
Road Captain
Default Broken fairing bracket, again!!!

I have an 06 EG standard. For the forth time in 18 months (9000 miles) my bike has broke one of the fairing brackets. I am talking about the black, verticle bracket that mounts the inner fairing to the bike. The last three times it was the left side, this time the right. It breaks right where the 90 degree turn meets the inner fairing.
First break, 3524 miles, July 06, left side
Second break, 4384 miles, Oct 06, left side
Third break, 6009 miles, Dec 06, left side, also replaced front motor mount
Forth break, 9021 miles, June 07, right side this time.
I guess the dealer figures they will just keep replacing my brackets untill my warrenty runs out (only 6 more months).
The third time it broke they replaced the front motor mount. That just made the bike vibrate more.
Any ideas on what else I can ask the dealer to check. This is getting very old. Anyone else having these problems?

Thanks for your time,
Doug

Old 06-05-2007 | 10:45 AM
Smitty0128
Road Master
Default RE: Broken fairing bracket, again!!!

its common. someone here makes a replacement , machined piece and another has posted pictures of a weld they do to their that stopped it. do a fairing bracket search of forums.

what do you see as far as knowing yours is broke? fairing vibration? or remove outter and see the crack. I know mine will brake soon. If its not already

I dont have a radio installed yet so that might let me get a bit longer before failure.

Old 06-05-2007 | 10:51 AM
Varooom
|
Road Captain

On the first three breaks I noticed the vairing vibrating excessivley right away. Took off the outer fairing and there is was.
This time I did not have any abnormal vibe issues. I bought a new windscreen. While swapping it out I decided to remove the outer fairing for cleaning, etc. Thats when I noticed the right side broke.
Wierd,
Doug

Old 06-05-2007 | 10:54 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Smitty: An easy way to check for a broken fairing bracket is to grasp the left handlebar grip with one hand then push the edge of thefairing on that side with the other hand while sitting on the bike. There should be very, very little movement of the fairing. If the fairing bracket on that side is broken, the amount of movement will be very noticeable. Simply repeat for the right side to check the right side fairing bracket.

Old 06-05-2007 | 12:51 PM
Timex
Tourer

Try to fabricatethe broken angleout of an "L" bracket, doubled-upfrom Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 06-05-2007 | 01:17 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

Any chance of getting a pic of the broken bracket so I will know what to look for?

Old 06-05-2007 | 01:19 PM
jbhawley
Road Master

Check out this thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_634066/tm.htm
Seem to be a common issue.

Crap,,,,looks like varooom started that thread too.
Anyhow...some good pics there.

IIRC these things are a PITA to replace. Seems like HD could make a beter one. When (notice I didnt say IF), mine break, i will definately do some home made mods on the new ones to beef them up a bit. If they make it to the winter time, i will do it then.
A wire welder and some scrap flat sheet metal or flat bar will work wonders.

Old 06-05-2007 | 01:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Varooom

I have an 06 EG standard. For the forth time in 18 months (9000 miles) my bike has broke one of the fairing brackets.
I'm on six months and 7200 miles now and checked mine again just two weeks ago, still solid. I don't understand why some are breaking and some are not.

Old 06-05-2007 | 10:13 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I stopped by and asked my Service Manager at the HD store for a broken bracket to use for a pattern to fab a support brace. He said he had an '07 SG in the shop with TWO broken fairing brackets that were being replaced under warranty.

Old 06-06-2007 | 07:13 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I have 13,000 on my 06 Ultra and so far, none are cracked. I ride about 50/50 highway/country roads.

Quick Reply: Broken fairing bracket, again!!!