Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$500 for first service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

If you pay to have the service done, tell them you want the technician's initials on every item on the list.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-02-2017, 07:44 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 271 Likes on 107 Posts

I just did my 1k service a couple of weeks back. Think I had about $100 bucks in it and a couple of hours. Changing fluids, checking air pressures and torque values not to difficult.
Get out the service manual, make a copy of the checklist and document everything. Save your receipts and when complete save it for future reference if needed.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 AM
Kerr8005
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

When you walk in to you local HD dealer, do you look around and see how "nice" it is? Next time think to yourself, "I wonder who pays for this?"

I buy my oil filters and once in a while a clearanced out shirt, that's it.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:53 AM
thebreakman
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

First two Harleys I bought were new. Never again. They will get you coming and going. Even if I went in for an inspection, min. $350 every time. I'm a do it myself guy. Most recent bike I bought used. Do all pretty standard maintenance myself. I since have found a couple friends that can do what I can't on my bike. For a service, Harley won't see my bike again.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

the last time that the Dealer did the 5K service for me, they didn't torque the bolts and my bike spilled a lot of oil. So I still have an oil stain in my garage. The problem with a lot of dealerships, esp during the busy riding season is, they rush you in and out. As a result, mistakes happens and things are overlooked. If my memory is correct, the 5K service was a little south of $500.00.

As others have stated, get the service manual and make a copy of the checklist. In addition, there are really good video's on YouTube (I like Law Abiding Biker), which will walk you through doing your service. For basic stuff like that, it's not to difficult. (Now ripping apart your engine, let the dealer handle that).

Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Mine last one was $275 and they did it right.
The things they check is not stupid. Do it yourself . But check the stupid stuff and do it right.
It is stupied. That's why they're have the trainee do it.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 767 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashnic
I just did my 1k service a couple of weeks back. Think I had about $100 bucks in it and a couple of hours. Changing fluids, checking air pressures and torque values not to difficult.
Get out the service manual, make a copy of the checklist and document everything. Save your receipts and when complete save it for future reference if needed.
Did you check all of the levers in the shift linkage to make sure they were tight on their respective shafts? Stripping the splines in the shift levers seems to be a recurrent problem and tightening the pinch bolts eliminates further headaches.

It appears that the OP is in high cost per hour labor market. Many large metropolitan areas exceed $100/hour shop charge now.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:25 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

For $50 a pop, I'm gonna take it to them for the service intervals. I'll do the fluids myself and get receipts saying they did the rest. Should cover me if anything happens.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If they at least used Vaseline first it would be less painful....My bike only saw a dealer for recall work.....

Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 AM
oldsoldier181
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,586 Likes on 4,795 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Maybe do your own fluid changes, (not free I know), and have them do the remainder of the #1 service. That should cut the bill in two at least.
This is what I do. I am taking mine in for the 30k service on Friday. Unfortunately, I do not have a garage to do my own work. I can change the fluids, anything more than that though, is tough, as I am in a condo and cant really get away with mechanical work.
I will bring mine in for service every 5k, just to document the work. That way, come resale time, its there. I am fortunate to have a fantastic dealer local to me too, so, thats a plus.

Quick Reply: $500 for first service?