Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Road King with Magnum clutch cable - VERY STIFF

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by itznin
Thank you all for the responses, looks like a mixed bag of experiences....

The good news is the cable itself got damaged (outside shouldn't affect performance) from rubbing through the clip. The dealer is going to replace the cable so i'm PRAYING the new one is much better.

If it's not I really don't have a choice but to lube it with silicon as suggested above.

Did lubing it with silicone affect the color at all? What are the exact steps to lube properly?

Any pics of the cable after lubing it? If so how long ago was it lubed....

Thank you all for the responses, great insight
wont the dealer be doing this? they did the "winter mods" didnt they? part of your problem is you are letting a bunch of monkeys work on your bike.... half the time they screw stuff up....and then give you a bs story about what is or whit is not wrong...and you having not been there and not knowing really what is going on are at the mercy of the stupid **** they tell you. just saying and as a side note....youre spending way way too much engery on what kind and where to buy.....for a can of silicone spray...... do not work on your bike.....plz find a reliable indy that will stop taking advantage of you....

Last edited by INJEKTER; 05-11-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:20 PM
itznin
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I asked the dealer about lubing the cable and they are being hesitant at best. They said "ride it and let us know".... They just want me out of there, honestly, I don't want them touching the bike any more.

I'm not spending much time as the bike has been at the dealer so I was just doing my research in advance before I got the bike back in hand. I've done plenty of work to my previous bike but I'm OCD and try to learn as much as I can before I jump right in. I'm no mechanic but I can read, watch, learn, and apply...

I'll get the cable lubed and provide an update.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:49 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by itznin
I asked the dealer about lubing the cable and they are being hesitant at best. They said "ride it and let us know".... They just want me out of there, honestly, I don't want them touching the bike any more.

I'm not spending much time as the bike has been at the dealer so I was just doing my research in advance before I got the bike back in hand. I've done plenty of work to my previous bike but I'm OCD and try to learn as much as I can before I jump right in. I'm no mechanic but I can read, watch, learn, and apply...

I'll get the cable lubed and provide an update.
when i tore down another bike for some mods, putting back together after sitting for the winter my throttle cable would not snap back...thought i just adjusted it wrong cause it worked fine before i took everything apart...finally i decided to throw a little spray into the cable...boom night and day that bitch was snapping after that

Old 05-12-2017, 11:43 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

It amazes me that the brand new cable needs lubed before it will slide easily. The first one was rusty in the jacket okay. The second one? I call BS. Lubing a cable that has been in service a "while" I can see - but brand new? I can see a little bit easier to pull once lubed; but not 50% less pull.

Something else is causing it.

When I did my 14" bars, I replaced with a new cable. I have not lubed it yet and it has been on there for three years. And yes I ride all the time. I used a Magnum clutch cable as well. Feels like the factory pull. So if I lube it, I will be able to pull it back with my pinky?

BS.

Maybe it is ran an odd way and you did mention that it had a frayed section. Maybe it is pulled too tight and causing it to pull hard against an object? You should be able to grasp the cable and move it around a little bit. If it is hard to move, maybe that is the problem....

The following users liked this post:
INJEKTER (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:14 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

yea could be....not there to check it out... im sure its something simple

Old 05-13-2017, 07:22 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
It amazes me that the brand new cable needs lubed before it will slide easily. The first one was rusty in the jacket okay. The second one? I call BS. Lubing a cable that has been in service a "while" I can see - but brand new? I can see a little bit easier to pull once lubed; but not 50% less pull.

When I did my 14" bars, I replaced with a new cable. I have not lubed it yet and it has been on there for three years. And yes I ride all the time. I used a Magnum clutch cable as well. Feels like the factory pull. So if I lube it, I will be able to pull it back with my pinky?

BS.

Maybe it is ran an odd way and you did mention that it had a frayed section. Maybe it is pulled too tight and causing it to pull hard against an object? You should be able to grasp the cable and move it around a little bit. If it is hard to move, maybe that is the problem....
Originally Posted by INJEKTER
yea could be....not there to check it out... im sure its something simple
I had the same problem and thought the same things. Had to be routed wrong?hung up? etc. Went through the service manual and checked out my friends bikes routing. All looked perfect on my end.

Do a forum search for a Magnum hard clutch pull. You'll find several threads. Turns out for some it's fine and for others the cable even being brand new needed lube. Reached out to a bunch of members via PM's and they advised the same. Lubing it fixed the issue.

Maybe it's subjective for some but when I installed mine it was much harder to pull than stock. Hope the OP gets it sorted out to his liking.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 AM
itznin
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DanHappy

BS.

@DanHappy - The first cable was also brand new (bike is brand new purchased in Dec with a bunch of work done at dealer). The first cable got frayed 50 miles into riding because of how the dealer installed it. That cable was SUPER tight, causing me tremendous pain after only 50 miles of riding. Again I'm 34 years old in decent shape and have pulled many clutches, the pull was WAY too tight.

The dealer replaced the cable and the pull is STILL too tight although about 10% better than the first one.

I'm going to take a picture of how the cable is sitting on the bike right now to add perspective, I'll add it this afternoon.

I plan to lube the cable on Tuesday evening - I spoke to another forum member via phone who has had the same cable and the same stiff/tight pull experience and lubing it fixed the problem. I'll report back if in fact lubing the cable does the trick.

I appreciate your insight and comments, keep em coming as I'm open to all ideas.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:53 PM
itznin
Road Captain

Picture attached of the routing... Doesn't seem to have any bad bends...

Full lube will happen Tuesday evening, I'll report back after that.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Road King with Magnum clutch cable - VERY STIFF-20170514_091008.jpg  
Old 05-14-2017, 04:03 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

I'm not familiar with the Road King set up. However that cable seems way to long? What is the length. Also looks like it could get caught up on on of the passing lamps it's so long.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:34 PM
itznin
Road Captain

It's definitely a little longer than it should be... No issues with the AUX lamps, just looks like it in the pics

Quick Reply: 2016 Road King with Magnum clutch cable - VERY STIFF