Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB OR INJECTED

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Mako Shark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CARB OR INJECTED

You did the right thing.
My 04 roadking is carb.
The guy that did my dyno said you can do more fine tuning with a carb.
All I know for sure is that I am happy with mine, you will be too.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:46 AM
tkjones2
Banned

if you can stand the wait the clearview is a dang fine windshield but they are running about 8-9 weeks out at this time, but thats for a RG one your might not be that bad, they are not cheap but they are high quality

Old 06-07-2007, 08:47 AM
jmorton10
Road Captain

The guy that did my dyno said you can do more fine tuning with a carb.
That is absolutely not true, much as I love the carb bikes I would never make that statement............

~John

Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Jody FLHRCI
Cruiser

My preference is Fuel Injected All The Way. As fast as you can crank the bike and put it into gear, It's Ready. Sometimes I wish I had carb so I could play the Choke-Guitar (It does look like fun sometimes) on a cold morning and disturb the mess out of one of my neighbors (Everyone has that ONE neighbor) before leaving for work those nights I catch midnight shift. Only downside to this, the neighbor on my other side of me is a good friend.

I remember this same conversation MANY MANY years ago once apon a time, butwith automobiles. Electronic Fuel Injection has been around for a long time for Automotive, so that technology in Bikes isn't that much different. If EFI was this bad we would see thousands of vehicles and motorcycles daily on the side of the road for this very reason. Some people don't like change, and that is okay. If you have a Carb, nobody is going to take it from you. This isn't the first year motorcycles have had EFI. Resale value on bikes doesn't matter which fuel delivery system it has. I am guessing that everyone speaking negative of EFI still driving pre-1980's vehicles. I still have onecarburetor automobile, a 1966 Chevy II Super Sport and will die with this car still in my name and feel the same about my FLHRCI. Every vehicle I have owned in the last 18 years has been EFI, everything has to have bugs worked out of it including the carb. I have owned many vehicles and none of them have given me EFI problems. My work truck is a 1995 Chevy with 216,000 miles with no EFI or Electrical problems. If my 2003 Harley Road King Classic FLHRCI with EFI gives me this type of service. You are more likely to be stranded with a flat tire, or a dead battery than you are sitting stranded on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck with Electrical Fuel Delivery problems from EFI.

If you don't have a fuel gauge, or don't glance at it every once in a while,or watch your trip meter (Easy Task, reset every time after refueling) then I would highly recommend a Carb bike. When the bike starts starving for fuel just reach down and switch it to reserve (Need to learn to do this while in motion especially if you find your self on a major highway during rush hour). Then next fuel station we come.

We have been around a lot of other bikes and I have yet to see people hanging outside a Harley dealer or at a Rally listening to Exhaust. "Yep, that one over there is EFI with no potatos, the one behind it sounds like a Carb,I can hearda 1 potato 2 potato 3 singing." No noteworthy differences unless you have ears like a canine or carry a decibel meter with you, LOL.

Bottom line,BUY WHAT YOU WANT, EFI OR CARB,maintain what you buy.Drive it and enjoy it as long as you want.Don't go on with life worrying what a group of people (on either side) say will happen because they have the OTHER option. I will see you on the road with my well self-maintained FLHRCI and running my miles up high and living life to the fullest. I recognize and respect both Bike Options & Riders.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:47 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jody FLHRCI WOW that was quite the post.

First off I do beleave that it does matter for resale, and second I can and I do listen to see if a Bike isCarbed or FI. If you've been around them long enough you can tell very easily. OH wait I must be half man half canine,LOL.......

Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 PM
dpitts
Cruiser

Having given up carbs up on the sport bikes years ago (granted 4 is more troble than 1) I'd never go back. Yes, you (you meaning you in the garage) can do more tuning with the carb, but EFI is so much better for day to day riding.

D

Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Jody FLHRCI
Cruiser

04roadking,

Well,

LOL, Half-man-Half-Canine-MAN. That is GOOD. I have been around long enough to know that their is an exception to every rule. Congratulations !!!Another whole year and I will too be an old timer. Sometimes a year makes a whole lot of difference and being of the OTHER group.

I much rather be riding than sitting under the shade tree tuning all day. Lets see, TUNING or LAYING THE MILES DOWN. Tuning does have it's benefits. If you are tuning all day on the Carb, you are keeping low miles on the bike. Which in turn could make the resale higher than a EFI. I starting to see, and you can say you are from the OTHER group.

Just Buy what you want the first time and you will never be wishing you were in the OTHER group making excuses why you bought what you bought.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:20 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mick and jmorton are right on the mark....
Carburetors are great for gearheads like me..... I enjoy working on my bike, and I don't have to sit under a tree and fiddle with my carb all day, but so what if I did?? thats better than sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere land in Nebraska, for 4 hrs waiting for a tow because my ecm decided "f' it, I'm done" on my '00 RK, maybe I had a lemon and it damn sure left ME beside the road, but that's why I now have an '06 with a carburetor, with a few tools and a spare ign. module in the bags, I doubt I will be stranded again.
FI is great for ppl that just want to hit the button & go, but I am a firm believer in letting things warm up a bit before you take off, even on my FI vehicles.
HD is catching up to automotive FI technology with the O2 sensors and such, and will continue to improve their systems, but till then, it's a carb for me.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:57 AM
lenrough
Road Master

Any of the folks on this forum doing the SW Mini Rally through the Colorado Rockies in two weeks (shameless plug) will appreciate the difference between carbs and FI after the first 12,000 ft pass. The FI guys won't have to stop at 10,000 feet to reject their carbs to get over the top!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:28 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain

I didn't seem to have any problem on Trail Ridge Road last year with my carburetor, I believe the highest point is 12,183 ft.
It is one of the most awesome rides to go on, just incredible scenery, and we had some of the best ribs I've ever had at Grand Lake.

Quick Reply: CARB OR INJECTED