Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight trim ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:02 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Headlight trim ring

Anyone know the part number for J and P?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:58 AM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Called J & P just yesterday about the 7" headlight trim ring for my 08 RKC part number (part# 3100431) and was told they no longer cary that product. They wouldn't give me any deails.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

every supplier/reseller is now out of stock on the visored trim ring made by custom chrome......it was the only ring that fit properly....but that's ok because you can make the HD ring fit.

Remove the OEM ring and toss in trash, then bend underlying headlight mounting ring outwards in 4-5 places.....HD ring will now fit tightly and clamp fully with no gap......make sure to reinstall wire clip also.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
stillwater
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem on my '06 RKC last spring. Even following the directions by loosening off the original headlight ring - I never could get rid of the gap and ended up taking it off in disgust,then hanging it on the wall of my garage (to remind me to keep receipts). After reading these posts and the links within, I'll buy a replacement screw (the original'salmost completelystripped), and try again.

As far as retightening the original ring once the visor ring's in place -howdoes one get at the screw of the original through the visor trim ring?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Shoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: clarkchriston

Called J & P just yesterday about the 7" headlight trim ring for my 08 RKC part number (part# 3100431) and was told they no longer cary that product. They wouldn't give me any deails.
The trim ring was made by a company called Custom Chrome. They discontinued the trim ring for 2008 with no plans to re-intro/replace it.

I tried 6 different vendors looking for one, they don't exist anymore. I have since grown to like the gap......At least thats what I keep telling myself.

But seriously, I get alot of compliments on the trim rings and noone ever seems to bring up or care about the gap.

Dave

Old 04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
clarkchriston
Road Master

Here's the funny thing i learned over the weekend. My cousin just bought the headlight trim ring for his 06 heritage softtail classic and his trim ring completely replaces the old one. Installation was something like this: unscrew and remove OEM trim ring and discard, install new trim and secure with new screw. That's it folks. No jerking around with loosen this then fit that around there, then tighten this one first and secure that one second and you endup with a crappy gap (at least for most of us). I will be heading out on a ride wiht him this weekend and I am going to see if his trim ring will fit my bike. HD dealer said it won't work because my RKC uses a slightly different mounting assembly. His headlight measured 7" (Same as mine) and his trim ring is secured with a clip under the top of the trim ring and one screw at the bottom...just like mine. Worth a try and I'll let you know if it works

Old 04-14-2008, 11:41 AM
clarkchriston
Road Master

You wouldn't happen to have any photos would you. Where is the wire clip that needs to be installed.