Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cornering scares the hell out of me

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:07 AM
hep0950
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cornering freaks me out

You got the hard part down if you can make u-turns and slow turns. Making faster turns is a lot easier. You have to just slow down a little before the turn, go from out to in, roll the throttle, and go through the curve, all the while watching for stuff on the road, or an obstruction. Is there risk involved, yes, but there is risks in everything. Another thing you might want to do along with riding behind and watching another expewrienced rider, is to watch a motorcycle race. Watch how far they lean through a curve. You will never lean your bike that far. Remember, the faster the turn the more you will have to lean. Practice and you will get it.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 AM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: cornering scares the hell out of me

Scheduling time for an MSF with work and limited vacation time can be a real hassle.

You can do probably just as good by spending some time in the evenings and on weekends practicing on your own. Go buy some cheap little orange cones, then take them to an empty parking lot or a culdesac somewhere and master low speed maneuvering. Practice turning increasingly tighter. Both full 180 and 360 degree circle, and cone weaving in both directions. Bring your spouse or someone with to encourage you if you feel embarrased being seen practicing alone.

Then to practice moderate speed cornering find some twisties out in a rural area on a road that isn't much traveled and where you can see traffic coming a good ways and it can see you. Practice taking them increasingly faster and from both directions.

And remember that your bike has no where near the lean angle as a knee dragging crotch rocket, and your tires, suspension, and brakes aren't made for racing around every corner within inches of coming off. Enjoy your ride for what it is and don't feel intimidated or pressured into riding your bike unsafely.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 AM
kfmorris
Road Captain

I ageee with a lot of the comments above.
Take a course # 1.

Skill in Motorcycle riding is something that needs to be worked on regularly.
Your mindset on cornering needs to be worked on. If you maintain an attitude
that cornering cant be done, you will not master it. If you take the attitude that
I can over come this issue you will succeed.

I suggest that you take a private course (one on one) this way you can explain your
issues with your instructor. Even if all you do is work with an instructor over a few days
you may well be able to remedy this problem...

If you have a love for riding dont let cornering get the best of you. Master the issue
and it will let you enjoy riding even more.

Now suck it up...Get out there and kick this problem in the "BUTT"

Keep us posted....Good Luck>>>

Old 06-11-2007, 02:23 AM
RandyNC
Tourer

I have beencautious of corners myself, im sure that most of us have had some close calls in corners and on the straights as well. Especially when you go into a sharp left hand curve, because you never know if some cage talking on a cell phone picking their nose not paying attention as they run all over you is waiting around that bend. It's not that we can't handle the bike in a corner, sometimes it's the fear of not knowing what's around the bend. It's good to be afraid sometime's, thats what keeps us from doing really stupid things that might get us killed or hurt or endanger someone else. The main thing I learn as I ride more and more, is thatit's okay to have fear...it's good to be cautious. Just don't confuse them as being the same thing...although very close. You will get your confidence in cornering as time goes by. Yes we do see terrible things that happen to ourHD family and friends, and even ourselfs from time to time. Just let that make you a more cautious rider and push the fear aside...ride safe. Don't forget to have fun. Thats why we are here and thats why we have our HD's and our great friendships that we make out there and in here. Hope this helps you with your temporary situation.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:30 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain

My tip: get a dirtbike and experiment on it.

Seriously. One of the best places to learn to ride & get a little crazy. Dirt/grass is much softer than pavement. You can corner, skid, do all sorts of stuff - at low & high speeds without the same risk of serious injury as cement/pavement. I assure you it WILL help you get over your fears somewhat after you've dumped/spilled a few times.

Of course, you can't take all of that new confidence with you to the street. Dirt bikes & street bikes are definitely 2 very different environments, but learning how to ride & wreck on the dirt definitely has some beneficial carry overs to the street.

I've been riding 2 wheels for years -from minibikes, to mopeds to dirtbikes to streetbikes - its been like a graduated curve - and all of that adds up to 2 wheel handling experience on varying levels. I feel pretty good knowing I've gone through all ofthose other types of rides before I got serious about street riding. And I still plan on takingthe beginner & experiencedrider courses to boot - just for good measure!