Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0572 code rear brake light switch 2008 FLHR Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Jimmycrates
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0572 code rear brake light switch 2008 FLHR Road King

I got this code, and replaced the Rear Stop Light Switch and wire terminations. It is functioning properly and still no light while braking. Foot brake or hand brake, and still no stop light. I changed the lamp, (3157) and the fuses are good. The cruise control doesn't work either but I think that is a result of the braking system code. Anyway, the wiring harness in the tail light seems ok and I did see a brake relay in the fuse box. Could this be my problem? Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Have you done any work on your bike recently, such as changed handlebars?

Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 780 Likes on 524 Posts

The above question is key. "NO brake light, no cruise control" are the CLASSIC symptoms following any action that breaks the front brake light switch. Grip change, handle bar change, removing the brake lever for any reason, fiddling with the switch box. There is a little plastic button on the brake light switch that is ridiculously easy to break off. Without that button, the switch won't get pushed in far enough to turn OFF the brake light. When you activate a brake and expect to see the light get brighter and it doesn't the first assumption is that the brake light failed to come on, not that it was already on, hence no further increase in brightness. Activating either brake normally activates the brake light circuit to turn off the cruise. With the brake light already on all the time, the cruise will not engage.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Another thing to check is the connector under the seat that supplies power to your rear brake light. I had the same symptoms that you describe and I changed the rear brake light switch just as your have. What it turned out to be was corrosion inside the plug under the seat. When I pulled it apart the copper was green and nasty looking. I dabbed some muriatic acid inside the plug with a q tip and blew the plug out. Smeared some dielectric grease on the plug and connected it again. Worked like a charm.