Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Earbud adaptor/or earbud headset instead of helmet headset Boom system

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:19 PM
justgeorge
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Earbud adaptor/or earbud headset instead of helmet headset Boom system

I did a search of the forums on "earbud adaptor Boom" and amazingly got no hits. I ride a 2016 RGU. I use a plug in over the ear headset with my half helmet and it works great. My wife would prefer to use in-ear earbuds, but so far I can't find an option that integrates seamlessly with the Boom system. Minimally, we need for her to be able to hear the music and talk on the intercom.

Is there such a product, either as an adaptor or a standalone unit?

Alternatively, is there some sort of pocket that you can attach to a half helmet and use the helmet headset that came with the bike?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts

I made my own, for music listening. I have no idea how you intend to use the intercom with earbuds, but for listening to music or the radio, it's really nice to be able to listen and be able to use the hand controls.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:47 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought my wife an adapter for her Triglide. Plugs into the intercom jack on the console then she plugs her earphones into it. Works good.
http://spoiledbiker.com/products/har...t-adapter.html

Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 PM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by justgeorge
Alternatively, is there some sort of pocket that you can attach to a half helmet and use the helmet headset that came with the bike?

Thanks in advance!
We use these on our half helmets and work just fine
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...nication-pouch

Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 PM
justgeorge
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CalgaryBikeBum
I bought my wife an adapter for her Triglide. Plugs into the intercom jack on the console then she plugs her earphones into it. Works good.
http://spoiledbiker.com/products/har...t-adapter.html
it says it's a 5 pin but fits the 7 pin plug, does the microphone on the ear buds still work? I don't know how the passenger even activates the intercom if using a standard headset.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:00 AM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think microphone works but she doesn't use it so cannot give a truthful answer. She only uses for listening to her music ! You should contact them and ask questions if that is something you need? Thanks

Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by justgeorge
it says it's a 5 pin but fits the 7 pin plug, does the microphone on the ear buds still work? I don't know how the passenger even activates the intercom if using a standard headset.
I believe the 2016 intercom etc.. is the same as the 2017 RGU. The intercom is VOX or voice activated so basically when you speak the intercom activates. From what I see of the adapter from spoiled biker linked here will only allow the user to hear what is be transmitted from the Boom system with no intercom capabilities.

In addition with a half helmet I cant really see the intercom working very well if it is voice activated as the wind noise would be constantly triggering the VOX. With any headset/earbuds to use the intercom it will require a boom mic

Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I sometimes use ear buds with an adaptor from this firm but they are for music only and no boom mic. But various bits of useful kit on their web http://imcmoto.com/products/harley-d...-headsets.html