Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still a shake on decell

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Still a shake on decell

Bikes seems to be settling in after the cam/tensioner installation and the issue with no oil pressure but my only reservation is the intermittent violent shaking of the motor when coming to a stop sign. Changed the plugs, front mount, fuel map on the PC5. Checked for broken or loose injector wires and still nothing. There was a historical code that dropped off and hasn't reared its head now for a week. Fuel mileage is not great now but I knew that going with the S&S 510 cams, however worse that others which suggests perhaps a miss fire. I cant find this issue. Ive looked into the primary and the compensator is ok. 3 out of 5 times while coming to a stop sign the motor shakes violently as if on one cylinder then will smooth out instantly. Bike hogs on hard, start very easily and doesn't miss a beat going down the road. I have been all over the net and cant find any common solutions.

randy

2003 Road King Classic
37K km.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Nitro-Fish
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for good tuners in your area and get a tune (not just a dyno pull), you already have the PC5, if there are any problems (intake gaskets, fuel issues etc.) they will show up for the dyno operator right away and you won't have to worry about doing damage to your scoot.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

What happens when you pull in the clutch? Does the motor rev up or drop to idle? Wondering about a bad electrical spot in either the twist grip sensor or the throttle position sensor confusing the computer, sudden extra gas without a command from you. Does this happen during warm up AND at full temperature or just when hot or just during warm up? (Engine temp sensor)

Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

brsom, it doesn't at any temp hot or cold. But not every single time. sometimes I can come up to a stop light or sign and the bike is as smooth as ever. other times it feels like it shaking out of the frame then will smooth out instantly.

randy

Old 04-21-2017, 03:16 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

I have come to the conclusion there are things in this world that logic does not apply too. I found the problem to the shake. It was in front of me all the time. Two months ago, as general maintenance, I changed out the front mount. The original 14 year old mount was tore up on one side. Not through to its core but a good slice in it. I researched and had many suggestions and finally installed 'correctly" the Drag Specialties urethane mount. Well today I said f*#1-it and put the old tore up 14 year old ripped ruined soft original mount in and the bike is as smooth as a babies a$$. WTF. Sometimes you just have to leave things alone until they are falling off and dragging down the road.

I had been told to put the buel mount in as its the original mount used on the earlier touring bikes. Of course my dealer said they are discontinued and they can NOT get them anymore. What buels are discontinued too? Ill find one on ebay. For anyone that wants and I mean "WANTS" one of these brand new urethane ones 'FREEEEEEEE", pay the shipping and ill ship it to you faster than $hit through a goose.

randy

Old 04-21-2017, 06:26 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

It has been a long time, but I believe I installed the Glide Pro urethane front mount. Both the printed directions and the video on the manufacturer's site were very specific about properly centering the mount to eliminate all side loads. One of the techniques was to install the new mount on the center bolt but leave the two bolts for the frame loose. Start and run the engine briefly. The idle bounce should allow the mount to center itself properly. Snug the frame mount bolts. Now loosen the center bolt and see if it slides easily up and down. If it does, tighten everything to specs. If not, the mount is not properly centered and will transfer excessive vibration to the frame. If necessary, use a punch or other tool with a hammer to tap the frame portion of the mount so the mount is properly centered (the center bolt is free) then tighten it all. If you did not carefully center the new mount, that could be why you had so much vibration.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

btsom, thanks for your input. I did all that and the bolts were loose and centered. I didn't install the Glide Pro. $150.00 is what their price was up here in Canada. Many said use the urethane from Drag specialties and I did. Just didn't work out with me. Material and such is perhaps too hard. I'm not a Harley Mechanic but I have built ironheads, and shovels and I'm a Mechanical Engineer to boot so I understand methodology and logic of assemblies. This one had me............for a while that is. Thanks again.

randy