Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stater Plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,813 Likes on 2,815 Posts
Default Stater Plug

It's cleaned up now so I can look at it again after a couple rides, but it looks like I have a leak around the stater plug. I was curious if any of you have had a leak here and if so, did you replace the plug? I'm thinking I am going to first try putting some black RTV around it. Seems that would seal it up??

Old 04-19-2017, 06:48 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

It's a common area to leak. The plug itself is not replaceable short of replacing the entire stator. The HD official, approved fix is to replace the stator. The DIY fix is black silicone. Just clean the plug and behind the lip very well. Did mine and no leaks since.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:27 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ORradtech
It's a common area to leak. The plug itself is not replaceable short of replacing the entire stator. The HD official, approved fix is to replace the stator. The DIY fix is black silicone. Just clean the plug and behind the lip very well. Did mine and no leaks since.
Gotcha... kind of what I thought... did you use anything in-particular to clean it up good? I was just thinking break cleaner.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Pull the outer primary, clean it up on the inside and use high temp silicone on the seal (from the inside).

Old 04-19-2017, 08:21 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Just did this fix about a month ago with great results. I hosed the area down with brake cleaner and used permatex RTV gasket maker. make sure you wiggle the plug around and use a screw driver to get the sealer under the edges of the plug and let dry over night.

rk classic

Old 04-19-2017, 08:28 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK_Classic
Just did this fix about a month ago with great results. I hosed the area down with brake cleaner and used permatex RTV gasket maker. make sure you wiggle the plug around and use a screw driver to get the sealer under the edges of the plug and let dry over night.

rk classic
Ok, ya I ordered the Loctite Black RTV, but same thing. But that was exactly my plan was clean with brake cleaner. I see somebody else said pull the primary and do it from the inside. Seems like overkill to me. I'll do the outside as that is what everyone else seems to have done with great success.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Ok, ya I ordered the Loctite Black RTV, but same thing. But that was exactly my plan was clean with brake cleaner. I see somebody else said pull the primary and do it from the inside. Seems like overkill to me. I'll do the outside as that is what everyone else seems to have done with great success.
I did not remove the primary. Next time I do have the primary off I will seal it from the inside. The key is to get the area clean and work the RTV under the plug the best you can.

rk classic

Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
I see somebody else said pull the primary and do it from the inside. Seems like overkill to me.
An overkill job only has to be done once

Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
On the other hand the more silicone that gets smeared on the harder it is to get cleaned to get a good seal when it gets to be time to replace the stator.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
:-) True True... maybe overkill was the wrong choice of words lol. I'll try the outside approach first, reading some other posts and this one, seems to address this issue and some on other posts have said, working great after 20K + miles...

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Stater Plug