Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable sissybar latched seized.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 AM
ajnigli
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 53 Posts
Default detachable sissybar latched seized.

Hey guys and gals,
I just purchased a 2013 RKC and it came with a the HD passenger backrest. Well when I went to put it on for the first time, I noticed that one of the latches will not spin/rotate. It feels seized in place. I removed the screw and it wouldn't budge. I use all my might to spin it and was unsuccessful.

Has anybody experienced this before? Any ides how to break it loose?
Picture one is of the seized latch. Picture two is the working latch.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 330 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Latch trouble

you don't mention it, but one side has a small barrel key to push in and turn to unlock it. You have that key right? I'm at least assuming its s locksble detachable back rest.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 PM
ajnigli
Tourer

These do not appear to have the lockable latches. I am in the market for a set but these are the standard latches, no key required.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:07 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Try putting some heat to it. Hair dryer or a heat gun.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

With the screw removed there's really nothing for it to seize to. A good rap with a rubber mallet or hammer with a cloth around the head should bust it free. Spraying with some wd40 or freeze off wouldn't hurt either.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:09 PM
JRP267
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Loosen the screw for the mount. The mounts are oblong to prevent rattling. If they aren't right they lock up.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:45 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

something doesn't look right to begin with, possibly too narrow? im betting that's an ebay backrest and you may need to spread the mounting points a little bit as it looks like the side that isn't spinning is hitting the docking point..

the latches should spin free and if that one wont budge once the screw is removed hit it with a rubber mallet as mentioned above to get it to pop free..

Old 04-18-2017, 07:04 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
something doesn't look right to begin with, possibly too narrow? im betting that's an ebay backrest and you may need to spread the mounting points a little bit as it looks like the side that isn't spinning is hitting the docking point..

the latches should spin free and if that one wont budge once the screw is removed hit it with a rubber mallet as mentioned above to get it to pop free..
Exactly....The mount isn't centered over the docking point, it will never close that way. The backrest mounting points need to to spread outward if possible.....

Old 04-18-2017, 06:20 PM
ajnigli
Tourer

So per suggestions I took a rubber mallet to the latch and I was able to break it loose. Once broken loose, it spins like the other latch.

So I tested it out, It latches on correctly, just like the good side. However, when I rotate it to release it from the docking point, it get's pinched and won't budge. I am able to clear the docking point and with a good smack I can get the backrest to lean forward and be removed. But at this point I can't move the latch again. I have to hit it with a hammer. I did this multiple times, tried loosening the bolt while on the bike, etc and every time, when I press the spring in to rotate the latch to unhinge from the docking point, it gets pinched and stuck there.

You guys mention an non-HD backrest. If there a way to know if it is HD or not?

Any ideas on how to cause it to Not pinch every time I disengage it?

Old 04-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Bike medic
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does the same thing and it's a HD oem part. I actually was going to follow up with them about this though I'm sure they won't warranty it.

Quick Reply: detachable sissybar latched seized.