Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

140 rear tire on a 2001 dresser

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 140 rear tire on a 2001 dresser

NitroBerserker
I ordered the Pingle spacer yesterday...but a bit of foresight.
The 140 tire is 10mm wider than the 130 tire. Thus basically 5mm wider on each side, measuring from the center of the tire. 5mm is about 1/4 inch. The area in the primary (the primary gear) that the drive belt actually rides on is about twice as wide as the belt. This mean that the belt has some 'play' room on the gear. The first time that I have had my rear tire off the bike, I was so concerned about the tracking of the drive belt, that I was almost paranoid about breaking a belt. Basically if the rear axle is positioned properly then the drive belt will run true on the primary gear. You hear about breaking a rear belt mainly because the rear axle was not properly adjusted and it makes the rear tire sit at an angle on the bike and rubs the side of the belt at the rear pully not on the primary gear.
Just my .02 worth. Hope this helps everyone understand.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Techie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, that's what the Harley dealer in Hawaii said could be done with the removal of the belt guide. I'm soon to be replacing tires on the RKC03. The miles is still under 8k.

Aloha

Techie

Old 06-06-2007, 04:15 PM
NitroBerserker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jbhawley

NitroBerserker
I ordered the Pingle spacer yesterday...but a bit of foresight.
The 140 tire is 10mm wider than the 130 tire. Thus basically 5mm wider on each side, measuring from the center of the tire. 5mm is about 1/4 inch. The area in the primary (the primary gear) that the drive belt actually rides on is about twice as wide as the belt. This mean that the belt has some 'play' room on the gear. The first time that I have had my rear tire off the bike, I was so concerned about the tracking of the drive belt, that I was almost paranoid about breaking a belt. Basically if the rear axle is positioned properly then the drive belt will run true on the primary gear. You hear about breaking a rear belt mainly because the rear axle was not properly adjusted and it makes the rear tire sit at an angle on the bike and rubs the side of the belt at the rear pully not on the primary gear.
Just my .02 worth. Hope this helps everyone understand.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll have to go down and look at mine. I have the wheel off for a new tire now. The dresser runs a 1 1/2" belt. if I have room I may think about it for the next time I have it apart.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 PM
mereta
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 140 size tire on 01 RKC with lowering kit

I put a Dunlop 402 MU85 on my 2001 RKC. Belt clearance was not a issue,
it was real close, kind of a zero clearance deal.The problem I had was my
bike has a .750" lowering kit on the rear.Everything was fine till I put a passenger on or loaded up with luggage, then every time I hit a pretty
solid bump in the road my rear tire would rub,did not seem to matter how much air I ran in the shocks.I pulled the tire and looked for contact,dead center in the fender. Put about 2000 miles on it,had to give up and take the lowering kit off. No problems with the kit off,it just makes the bike to
tall. Is there a wider but not any taller tire out there ? Anybody have any
suggestions. I can't make my legs longer
BG

Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master

I'm on my 2nd 140 Metzler on the rear of my 02 RG and no problems...

Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

i have an avon venom 140 on the back of my electra glide and im getting belt rub on my wide white walls. I have removed the belt guard and its now rubbing the belt. My heart hurts every time i see it. My indy that sold it to me said he cant do anything about it. I feel like if it was rubbing, they should have told me before i left the shop? tomorrow i speak to the owner and i need to know what to say. I have heard that if you put a 3/16 spacer on the rear wheel, it will solve the problem. I want to mention this to him but what if he tries to snowball me, what do i do then? I don't know much about tires, clearance, and the sort, but i do know that he sold and installed a tire on my bike and the tire rubs my belt, not my belt guard. I do all i can to keep these white walls clean.....

Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan1724
The 140 Metz is on the back, plenty of room, no mods needed.
Exactly right.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Blu02
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i put a 150 on my 02 ultra, just changed the belt to a 05 (its narrower) i was putting on a chrome inner primary so it made since to do it all at once

Attached Thumbnails  140 rear tire on a 2001 dresser-h-d-14-april-2010-002.jpg  
Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

The problem with 140 tires is they are all not the same width, I run Avon 140 rear tire and it is wider than the Metzler or Dunlop140 , I put a 3/16" spacer behind my rear belt pulley and it is fine, I now have about 1/8" clearance from the rear tire on one side and the swing arm on the other , I did not have to move my belt guard at all and you do not have to do anything to the front transmission drive pulley as the rear pulley will realign the belt on it so it still tracks true

Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running a MU85 E-III on the rear w/o any mods ('05 EGC).

Quick Reply: 140 rear tire on a 2001 dresser