Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King removable windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017 | 08:36 PM
Tracker1
|
Cruiser
Default Road King removable windshield

I bought a windshield that was 17 " that I get a lot of distortion right above the the top at high speeds. It is a little lower than my nose. I don't really get wind on my face, just a distortion of my vision above 50mph? So I am looking at a removable 20" Long Ride Shield recurve. Anyone use one?

Old 04-15-2017 | 09:36 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

The benefit of a re-curved windshield is to give you more wind protection while being low enough for you to look over the top of the windshield, not through it.

I have one on my Ultra (it's about level with the tip of my nose) and I can tell the difference in how the wind is better deflected upwards and over my helmet than the OEM windshield. I could have went with a "shorter" windshield but I like the added protection that I get with the "taller" model as it allows me to better "tuck in" behind it in rainstorms.

Old 04-16-2017 | 03:34 AM
jayhawkclint
Tourer

I run a 20" and really like it for daily commuter riding. Rain storm and heavy fog is when the 20" is not good because you can't see chit. On a Road King, the windshield pops off so quickly there's no need to settle on 1 size. Go to a swap meet or Craigslist and find an old scratched up complete windscreen for cheap, replace the plastic with a Long Ride Shield, have a couple different sizes on hand to suit the weather and/or your mood. I keep 2 at a time in my garage. I have used 4 different Long Ride Shields on Road King and Electra and all have been really good quality products.

Old 04-16-2017 | 05:56 AM
CRocks
Road Master

The RK comes stock with a 20" shield. Myself, at 5'10" 200 lbs, I find the top of the shield comes into my field of vision especially in the hilly countryside around here. This annoys the crap outta me, so I went to a 18" light smoke LRS recurve. With the recurve, I get about the same wind management as the 20' shield but it doesn't interfere with my line of sight. Absolutely love this shield. HIGHLY RECOMMEND the folks at LRS, outstanding customer service/products!!!

Old 04-16-2017 | 06:04 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

Polarized sun glasses caused distortion on my long rides re curve. I purchased non polarized glasses ....clear has can be!!!

Old 04-16-2017 | 07:29 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Call LRS and discuss this with them.
For me, regular windshield at about mustache height, recurve about an inch lower.
The wind just barely goes over my helmet.
IMHO, it's mostly how high you sit in the seat, overall height minus inseam. Some folks have short legs and long torsos, or vice versa...

Old 04-16-2017 | 10:13 AM
T Man
Road Captain

+1 on the 20" LRS, I swapped my stock windshield for one and it is noticeably better. I am 6' 2", and long in the torso, so I am still looking over the windshield. Mine might as well be welded on, I never take it off. All of my riding is highway.

Old 04-16-2017 | 10:22 AM
smokingjoe
Road Captain

LRS, is on my Road Glide could not be happier.
Best/joe

Old 04-16-2017 | 05:32 PM
drcollie
Tourer

When I had my Road King I think I had (4) windshields, each different sizes and varying brands. I never could find the right one. Finally I bought a detachable batwing fairing for it - and wound up never taking it off. I made up my own Street Glide before Harley ever came out with one. The batwing made it perfect (at least for me).

Old 04-16-2017 | 06:27 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

I am definitely in the minority and living in Oklahoma may have something to do with it. The heavier the bug, the less the wind flow over a windshield will deflect it. I like to look through a windshield for that reason. Mine is just the right height that in normal, slouched riding posture I look through it, but if rain or bug obscuration requires, I can sit up straight and look over it until conditions improve or the next stop when I clean the screen. It works well for me, but others prefer something different. I have had good luck with Clearview replacement screens. there is no optical distortion anywhere in the viewing area and other than the visible top edge, there is no difference in view whether looking through it or over it, but it isn't a recurve.

Quick Reply: Road King removable windshield