Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls! Words from Dealer/Up-date!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls! Words from Dealer/Up-date!

ORIGINAL: Patman

Unfortunitly after my 1000 mile it was still the same for me. I understand that there is a safety feature built in to the EFI systems but when you get cool down mode at 8:00 am there is something wrong. Why should a bike get this hot when its so cool out. It starts running on one cilinder in traffic creating a dangerous situation. The responce to wake up the engine is so slow I could get run over by then. I've talked to a few people now that have this problem and Harley is starting to move on it. I don't want to wait until it next summer, and hot before this problem gets solved. I experience this cool down mode everday, not just once in a while. Its not right. Stay tuned, I'm still waiting for the results of my bike's current stay at the dealership. It's been five days so far. Also FYI there is a problem with 2006 motor mounts breaking as I am on my second mount in 1650 miles. My dealer cofirmed this.

I sure wish you luck with everything.

I have a question though, How do you tell that a motor mount is broken?

The engine I have does a fair amount of wiggling at idle and seems to stay in the frame.

I have not done a good visual inspection on the mounts to see if they have any major ripping or tearing or would that even be visiable?

Old 10-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Roadie 49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls!

My 1600cc Yamaha Roadstar knocked from day one. Yama said they all knocked,
just some worse than others. Pure BS,so I sold it and bought an 06 FLHRI.
This bike runs so damn hot,you could fry an egg on the seat. Dealer says all
Harleys run this hot,and that my bike is operating in acceptable heat range.
More BS.
I'd like to set this thing on fire and drive it thru his showroom window.
Do you think that heat range would be acceptable?

Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 AM
eg willy
Cruiser
Default RE: Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls! Words from Dealer/Up-date!

You sure don't want your scoot stalling away from a traffic light or stopped traffic...could lead to rear end problems, no what I mean? [:-]

Old 10-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the things mentioned in this type of thread and cost is one reason I see a LOT more Jap bikes on the road. HD better get it while they can because, apparently, not everybody thinks they're the cat's a$$.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Patman
1st Gear

Well I finally got my bike back from the shop and they said there is noth wrong with the cool down mode. Of course the weather is much cooloer now so they couldn't get the bike to act up. I'm going to have to wait till spring when its hot I guess.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Pocket Aces
Intermediate

Well, I guess I'm officially a member of the Hot Idle Runs Like Sh*t Club.[:@]

I just picked up my new '06 Road Glide today. After a grueling 3 1/2 hours just to get the paperwork done on the new bike and my trade in, I was excited to get on the road on the new ride. That was until I got 3/4 of the way home and got stuck in stop-and-go traffic in 85 degree weather. The bike stalled three times on me! She started right back up, but unless I gave her a little throttle while idling, I would have stalled more.

I stopped at home and then went back to the dealer - she ran a little better on the way back to the dealer i.e., no stalling. One of their mechanics road it, and of course it didn't stall for him. The mechanic's story was that it's a new bike, the engine isn't broken in yet and doesn't like the heat. He said that if she feels like she's going to stall to give her some throttle. It should right itself as it breaks in. He actually said that when he had a new bike up in Daytona during Biketoberfest in stop-and-go, he actually shut the engine down and "walked" the bike forward until he got out of traffic. So I traded in a $6k Suzuki that ran like a champ for an $18k Harley that I need to walk in traffic???? My bullshit detector was on high, but it was late in the afternoon and I didn't have a ride if I left the bike there. I took her for a longer ride, same shitty idle.

I will say that as soon as you get out of idle mode, the bike ran like a champ. When I get the idle fixed, it will be a hell of great bike.

From reading your previous posts, this sounds like a widespread issue with the EFI system on the Twin Cam 88. I've got 75 miles on the bike from today's ride - if this thing doesn't right itself by next week (which I doubt), my new ride will be spending some quality time at the dealer's shop on their dime.

I'd be curious to see an HDForums poll on how many folks actually have or have had this problem with a new, stock bike (how do I do that?). I think we'll find that the number of folks with the same problem is pretty high.

Thanks for letting me vent!!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:30 AM
navyman
Road Master

I think this is only an '06 efi problem. My '04 has never displayed this problem even when in stop and go traffic in 85-90 deg weather.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:29 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a 06 Ultra with SE Pro mufflers, SE air filter with K&N element bike has been mapped with the SERT. I have just a tick over 2k miles with 0 stalling. My dad also has a 06 Ultra with same upgrades, he has almost 5k miles and 0 stalling. Both bikes have run like champs from day one. I wonder if this is an issue on stock bikes only.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:15 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My bike is an 2005 and I had it stall once after some recent remapping do to modifications, but never stock. I am going to richen the 0% throttle position in the map on my power commander bacause I have heard of that working for others with my situation.

adam

Old 11-07-2005, 01:21 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's my wild a**ed guess as to what's going on.

HD leaned the 06's even more to pass the new EPA standards. Unfortunately, with this setting, they get too hot when idling in warm weather and cut out. Now they have a big problem on thier hands and you are all getting the local dealer "run around" until the MOCO can come up with an answer, if one exists.

Also, since there is no "flash" for upgrades available yet, if you want to tweak it so it runs, you are in for a SERT and dyno time. What the heck is another $1000 or more to spend, just so your $20,000 motorcycle won't stall out? Hey, while your there, pick up a t-shirt.

IMO, this is absolute BS and if HD wants to head down the road they were on in the AMF days, they can do it alone. There's plenty of guys who will ride customs, Victory or Indian (if they can come back), rather than put up with this BS.

I hope HD reads this.

I really feel for you guys.

Quick Reply: Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls! Words from Dealer/Up-date!