Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls! Words from Dealer/Up-date!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls!

Dispite the bad weather this morning, I drove the RK into work then to the other dealership for the 1K mile check up. They remembered me from the phone call and read the computer on one of the shops diag machines.

They discovered the hot idle was low and kicked it up to spec.

I beleive that it worked, since I was in traffic, stopping and going no place for over 35mins to get into a tunnel only 0.2 miles away this afternoon after I have picked up the bike. And let me tell you as wet as my trousers were this morning they were feeling like they were pressed with an iron this afternoon, the engine was getting so hot. It had plenty of time to reach temp for "hot" idle. Everything was fine, no idle down to nothing or out right stalling.

Thank you all for the input, and ***** G. Thank you too

Gary

Old 10-11-2005, 09:46 PM
PEZ
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ram

Im glad your situation is rectified---but Im not sure if they could have fixed this without the Race Tuner. The SERT allows the user to program in the RPM idle for several temps--for instance at 4 separate levels of heat due to stop and go traffic, the RT could be programmed never to go below 750 rpm or 900 rpm at 250 degrees--825 at 300 degress--700 at 315 degrees and so on--rider chooses

My point is that without the SERT, you may still have the issue. I have an 06 EGC now, and I got the SERT for the A/C and Wild Pig Pipes--I want to play around with mapping, but for those without the budget for an SERT, wonder what the dealers wil do????

PEZ www.hogtunes.com

Old 10-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Patman
1st Gear

I also have a 2006 RKC and have the same problem. I live in N. Calif and it gets hot here. I don't think this thing will run in Calif in the summer. I had the 1k service and they reaised the idle up some and its better but I still feel like anything could happen when hot. It gets real low, then backfires. Sounds like its running on one cilinder. I'm not being one dam upgrade until this thing runs right stock. I don't think the dealers have an answer to the problem.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Loch
Tourer
Default RE: Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls! Words from Dealer/Up-date!

Why do we put up with this? I’m looking for a new bike in the spring and this info just infuriates me. I didn’t save up $20g’s just to have something that runs like crap.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:45 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls! Words from Dealer/Up-date!

Happened to me. It is a safety future to stop bike from overheating.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Patman
1st Gear

Well It's been in the low eighties here in Calif and I'm still getting excessive cool down mode everyday. I know its a safety feature but I think there might be some wrong because its everyday. Meanwhile I see the police drive around all day in the dame town with stock EFI engines. Today I took my bike in to the dealer. One thing of note though is I have only 1600 miles and I'm on my second front motor mount. Is there any conection? I know its a long shot. How's everybody else doing with there problems? Please post.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:40 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Those police bikes are far from stock.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Patman
1st Gear

I have found some info on this Problem of excessive heat/cool down problem. These are excerpts from another cite. These guys are having the same problem. Read On

"my '06 ultra ran hot, wouldn't idle when it got hot while stuck in traffic(although other bikes were ok), stumbled at times starting out...H-D had dealer send ECM back to them for reprogramming & are sending different injectors.
will post when i get it back"

"i picked up my '06 ultra this morning...HD reprogrammed the ECM...tech said they didn't give him any details on what they actually did...and they installed CVO injectors, which he said are going to be installed in all future '06's...finer spray pattern, i think he said.
i only had time to ride the 15 miles home, so i can't tell much, yet. I didn't notice the heat i did before...try to get out tomorrow."

"i went out for a couple hours this afternoon & the bike didn't get hot like it did before - the air temp. out was lower today, but i had been up in the mountains at night/early mornings a couple weeks ago and the tank was pretty hot back near the seat...now i could even put my hand under the tank, right above the rear cyl.

seems like it runs smoother at 1500-1800 rpm/low mph...before, i had to drop a gear or it seemed like it was missing slightly.

it popped back thru the TB 2 different times on decel

When i put it in the garage I noticed some soot on the inside of the mufflers...I had 1500 miles on it before i took it in and the mufflers looked like the day i picked it up...so they must have richened it up some"

Old 10-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ran up almost 400 miles since my 1K maintenance on the 10th Oct. Its been adjusted and runs fine now. I've had it hot, cold and still runs fine now.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Patman
1st Gear

Unfortunitly after my 1000 mile it was still the same for me. I understand that there is a safety feature built in to the EFI systems but when you get cool down mode at 8:00 am there is something wrong. Why should a bike get this hot when its so cool out. It starts running on one cilinder in traffic creating a dangerous situation. The responce to wake up the engine is so slow I could get run over by then. I've talked to a few people now that have this problem and Harley is starting to move on it. I don't want to wait until it next summer, and hot before this problem gets solved. I experience this cool down mode everday, not just once in a while. Its not right. Stay tuned, I'm still waiting for the results of my bike's current stay at the dealership. It's been five days so far. Also FYI there is a problem with 2006 motor mounts breaking as I am on my second mount in 1650 miles. My dealer cofirmed this.

Quick Reply: Question: Hot Idle so low, engine stalls! Words from Dealer/Up-date!