Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight Ping after Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Slight Ping after Stage 1

So I put a set of pipes v&h pro pipe, intake, and power commander v on my bike over the weekend with a map by fuel moto. Took it for a few short 5-10 miles rides and it rode and sounded excellent. Today I took it for a good 200 mile spin and noticed a ping or slight crack sound once it warmed up. This only happens when I am cruising at 2500-3000 and hammer it hard. It sounds like a ping or crack and only last a fraction of a second but it is definetly there. Also noticed a couple decel pops when coming off the throttle which I hoped I would not hear with the fuel moto map. Fuel moto says it's a proven map for my set up. Any ides what it could be? Bike is a 2012 street glide with only the above mods. It seems do do fine if I roll on the throttle easy if that makes any difference.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:48 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotaluck
So I put a set of pipes v&h pro pipe, intake, and power commander v on my bike over the weekend with a map by fuel moto. Took it for a few short 5-10 miles rides and it rode and sounded excellent. Today I took it for a good 200 mile spin and noticed a ping or slight crack sound once it warmed up. This only happens when I am cruising at 2500-3000 and hammer it hard. It sounds like a ping or crack and only last a fraction of a second but it is definetly there. Also noticed a couple decel pops when coming off the throttle which I hoped I would not hear with the fuel moto map. Fuel moto says it's a proven map for my set up. Any ides what it could be? Bike is a 2012 street glide with only the above mods. It seems do do fine if I roll on the throttle easy if that makes any difference.
Are you in 6th gear, cruising 2500-3000rpm when you "hammer it hard"?

If so, you need to downshift.....

Best tune in the world can't help when you ask the engine for more than it has...

Old 04-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer

Originally Posted by hattitude
Are you in 6th gear, cruising 2500-3000rpm when you "hammer it hard"?

If so, you need to downshift.....

Best tune in the world can't help when you ask the engine for more than it has...
Good question but to answer no. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in that's just the sweet spot where it happens most. actually it does it if I'm at 3500 also. Never did it until I put the pipes and power commander on. Possible exhaust leak? I stuck a candle by the intake and goosed it to see if I could see the flame flicker and nothino. My guts telling my its a leak though.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotaluck
Good question but to answer no. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in that's just the sweet spot where it happens most. actually it does it if I'm at 3500 also. Never did it until I put the pipes and power commander on. Possible exhaust leak? I stuck a candle by the intake and goosed it to see if I could see the flame flicker and nothino. My guts telling my its a leak though.
Intake & exhaust leaks can wreak havoc on how an engine runs, glad to hear you are checking for them... another way to check, fire up a cigar and blow the smoke around the suspected leak... although I hate cigars, I always found that easier to see than a flame..

Does the Power Commander V allow you to datalog? If so, I'd run a good datalog, session, including conditions that cause the issue, and send it to FuelMoto to examine...

At the very least you could send back the tune, with notations on what it's doing and when (rpms). FuelMoto maybe able to tweak it for you...

Good luck...

The following users liked this post:
Lotaluck (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:23 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,815 Likes on 2,546 Posts

An incense stick works well also.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Yep, call Fuel Moto...

Old 04-10-2017, 11:25 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

My 07 FLHRS would have a slight ping to it when my 110 pound Wife was on back seat.
Most of the time it pinged in the Nevada Summer heat 90 degrees or above.

The following users liked this post:
Lotaluck (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Old Road Toad
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem after PC5 install. took out 2 degrees of timing in the affected areas, problem solved.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:41 AM
Lotaluck
Tourer

Originally Posted by Old Road Toad
I had the same problem after PC5 install. took out 2 degrees of timing in the affected areas, problem solved.
Good to know. I got fuel moto working on a new map and will report back. I was hesitant to mention my fear of an exhaust leak because I wanted open minded opinions and didn't want to start the conversation to exhaust leak only. Sure hope it's the map, don't feel like screwing around with the exhaust.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 AM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

I had a similar challenge after uploading the fuel moto map. A quick call to them and we pulled a few degrees of timing to accommodate 91 octane gas and no more pinging. An easy fix and the Power Commander software is very easy to manipulate.

Quick Reply: Slight Ping after Stage 1