Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender Tail light 2014 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:51 AM
PaulBasha
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Tail light 2014 Street Glide

Good Day, the Fender Tail light 2014 Street Glide, does not light up, can anyone tell me to start to trouble shoot

Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

If it is a HD one. It plugs into the Tail light . Remove the rear tail light test there for power. If you have power check for broken wire. Remove lens from fender light look at the board it may have gotten wet and corroded.
If everything else is working 99% chance the light failed.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:26 AM
Gustapo
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey OP, Welcome to the forums.

I see your location is listed as NF Canada. That will be why the light doesn't work, because there are none. Canadian spec SG's have only the lenses, but no lights inside. Something to do with TC regulations and the light being too low. You'll also notice that US spec SG's do not have the fender tail light, just the tri-light at the fender tip, whereas yours will have the tail light above the signal light bar. It's wired completely differently than the US spec bikes, and require some ingenuity to get working.

If you take a look at your tri-light, you'll see there are two plugs on either side of if, so it does receive power. When I opened up the lens box on mine, all that was in there was a chip board that went straight through to the other plug, basically connecting the two plugs together with nothing powered in-between.

As I understand it, you cannot just buy a US spec tri-light and plug it in for it to work, because on the US spec bikes the brake and signal lights act differently than the Canadian spec ones. The only way I know how to make it work is by opening up the case and soldering in the innards of a tri-light onto the chip board. The below item is similar to what I spliced in to make it work.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ring-2014-2017

Just be careful with that chip board if you choose to go this route.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 AM
PaulBasha
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You, This explains a lot

Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 AM
Jim Piper
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Paul, I just got a 2017 Street Glide Special (Canadian Model) and the tri-light housing is empty. What I did: I bought a light on EBay from China (took 2-3 weeks $36). I took the one off the bike cut out all the little plastic ***** inside and took apart the one from China and stuck it inside (silicone it up and let it sit over night) I then put pins on the wires and stuck them in the proper spots (very easy) then greased up the plugs (dielectric grease). it now works as a running light, brake light, turn signal and 4 ways........so CUUUL........good luck

Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 AM
The72
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Piper
Hey Paul, I just got a 2017 Street Glide Special (Canadian Model) and the tri-light housing is empty. What I did: I bought a light on EBay from China (took 2-3 weeks $36). I took the one off the bike cut out all the little plastic ***** inside and took apart the one from China and stuck it inside (silicone it up and let it sit over night) I then put pins on the wires and stuck them in the proper spots (very easy) then greased up the plugs (dielectric grease). it now works as a running light, brake light, turn signal and 4 ways........so CUUUL........good luck
something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smoke-Tri-Ba...JYEFQS&vxp=mtr

Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Jim Piper
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the one...........see link to my YouTube ignore the plate, its off my old roadking.......cheers.......https://youtu.be/LmIyONYXz74

The following users liked this post:
The72 (05-28-2017)