Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight & Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:04 PM
snohomish
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Headlight & Fuel Gauge Problem

1996 FLHTC with 70K. Never had any electical problems. Rode up into Canada last weekend and fuel gauge needle started bouncing all over the place. Did this for probably 100 miles and then it settled back down and smoothed out. When I would turn the ignition off it shot to empty instead of slowly going back over. Ignition on and shot to full. Today we were out riding and it started doing the dance again. Stopped for a break and when I turned the ignition switch to on the high beam indicator for the headlight was lit (switch was on low beam). Wife checked the headlight and only the two spotlights were on--headlight was not. Rode about a mile and the high beam indicator went off. Pulled off to the side of the road and sure enought the headlight was on again. Down the road further the fuel gauge quit bouncing and settled back to normal

Any suggestions on where to start the trace (I'm not much of an electical wiz).

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Headlight & Fuel Gauge Problem

Did you run into much rain on your trip? Also, what wiring changes have you made recently? Your symptoms don't really point to anything I am aware of. Most of us never look at the gas gauge for any real information since it's notoriously inaccurate - we use our trip odometers. I look for fuel at 150 miles. Let us know.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 AM
snohomish
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Headlight & Fuel Gauge Problem

Yes we hit lots of rain but been through that many times before with no problems. My fuel gauge has always been very accurate. Carb model so I've always got the reserve. I usually have to switch over to reserve at roughly 200 miles. Wasn't too concerned until today when the headlight started acting up. That, along with the fuel gauge, has got me puzzled.