Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headset question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 AM
knightjh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headset question(s)

So the old lady really wants to get a pair of headsets (so "we can talk")
I have a few questions.
1 She rides with a low profile not even covering her ears helmet I wear and will always probably always wear full face. Is there a particular brand / model that I should look for to fit our needs
2 Those of you that did this did you REALLY like being able to talk to the old lady ?
3 I don't think I really need to be able to talk to other riders not ruling it out but just commenting
4 Any tips, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks all

Old 04-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Fatman2
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered some headsets from Law Abiding Biker. Have not tried them, but they do have three different types for different helments . You can check them out on you tube.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by knightjh
So the old lady really wants to get a pair of headsets (so "we can talk")
I have a few questions.
1 She rides with a low profile not even covering her ears helmet I wear and will always probably always wear full face. Is there a particular brand / model that I should look for to fit our needs
2 Those of you that did this did you REALLY like being able to talk to the old lady ?
3 I don't think I really need to be able to talk to other riders not ruling it out but just commenting
4 Any tips, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks all
So, what are you riding? Does your bike have an intercom system as part of the radio? Does your bike have a radio? Looking for BT system? Hard to offer good advice w/o knowing more...

Old 04-02-2017, 01:59 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Wife and I use the Scala Rider from Cardo. We have had them for some time they work. We did not want to use the wired set up. Yes I do like to take with me wife. This product has nothing to do with anything on the bike it is a free standing system.
Low profile helmet maybe an issue with noise. The setup we have could be mounted on any helmet.
The planted spokesmen for SENA should be along any minute with there pitch. Good product also.

Last edited by smitty901; 04-02-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Have the Sena's. Have half hemiets. But with a SG and a windshield, much of the wind is blocked. The Mrs. uses the speakers as there is virtually no wind as the wind is blocked by me and the windshield. I use in the ear Etymotic ear plugs. So no real wind noise issues. do "talk" some, but mostly, we both like listening to music. Now.... if I am speeding, taking corners to fast, hit potholes or riding around too much traffic, the "talk" time goes up..

Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 PM
knightjh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
So, what are you riding? Does your bike have an intercom system as part of the radio? Does your bike have a radio? Looking for BT system? Hard to offer good advice w/o knowing more...
I have a 2008 Streetbob (yes I know it's not really a touring bike) no windshield. Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:31 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I use a Sena in my half helmet and can synch and talk to other riders in a group. It works well and I can also listen to music via my phone and answer the phone and talk.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

The wife and I use them on the RGU both have Nolan helmets with the Nolan system plugged into the bike. I came from 20 plus years on WGs with no comm system did use ear buds on occasions to listen to music from my phone on long rides. I now love the fact that my wife and I can communicate, I would say that 95% of the time there is no talking but I love the fact that I have tunes whenever I want. However when we want to comment on something we see, suggest a stop etc... it is damn nice. No more of her tapping me on the shoulder and me trying to guess WTF she is saying. Both of us love the long rides with nothing but the wind to etc... to hear. I think if I was riding with someone that was a Chatty Cathy who never stopped talking it would annoy me and I would quickly press the selection to turn the intercom off

Old 04-06-2017, 05:58 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,107 Likes on 3,651 Posts

Not sure how effective it would be if using without a windshield...the wind might activate the talk feature.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:31 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Not sure how effective it would be if using without a windshield...the wind might activate the talk feature.
With a VOX (voice activated) system you are right it would not work well expecially for his wife with the half helmet. The Sena and some of the others have push to talk which would take care of that. But even with that I'd think the absence of a windshield would make communication difficult

Quick Reply: Headset question(s)