Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wire/spoke wheels cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 05:06 AM
drive1450
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wire/spoke wheels cleaning

Hi all

chrome is starting to go on my 14 plate road king wire wheels. rims and spokes/wires. Stoopid question probably I know and covered many times on here i'm sure but how you all clean them?

I'm afraid to say cleaning is not my strong point and not helped by the fact the bike is kept in a lock up with no electricity or water some distance away from me so I can't just go out and spend an hour or so every other day keeping on top of it.

There is some rust starting. can this be removed at all and with what?

many thanks
steve

Old 04-02-2017, 06:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hello old chap, from south of the border. Elbow grease! Bikes only had wire wheels when I started riding and cleaning wheels was always a chore. There are commercial bike cleaning fluids available, such as Autoglym, also wheel brake-dust cleaners, to penetrate and help remove the grime. A sturdy long-handled brush, to save your knuckles and get between the spokes. There are also little roller devices, onto which to place a wheel, which enables you to roll the wheel without moving the bike. Plenty of other ways to spend your cash!

There are also protective fluids to spray on and keep corrosion at bay. I used Supertrol in my yoof, but there are others, such as S100. Visit your local bike dealers and auto parts stores, to see what they have available. There are tubes of chrome cleaners to remove rust, of various brands.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:28 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Sounds like your wheels are being exposed to something environmental, or salt on the roads, etc. that is at the heart of your problem. My 2011 wheels still look like new, for example.
I have never used anything harsh on my wheels. I wash my bike with Maguires Car Wash, and then wipe it down with a spray detail wax like Eagle One with a clean damp micro fiber towel, including the wheels. Bleech White on the whitewalls only if needed.
If I encounter something on the wheels, I use "Totally Awesome" in a spray bottle with a wet rag. Remember - when you use a strong cleaner or degreaser, you need to be sure to apply the wax or detail spray for protection. One of the things I like about Mcquires is that it does not strip the wax. I spray detail the whole bike maybe every other wash. I have my wash/detail procedure down to about 45 minutes, bike up on the jack in the driveway. Leaf blower mostly dry after the wash, detail spray wipe down handles the rest.
Hopefully your rust at the wheels are just light surface rust. Go mild as you can. Maybe the Totally Awesome and a rag or old wash cloth will do it, good luck. BUT - be sure to use a wax/protectant of your choice when you are done.
And, I would seek out the cause. This may even lead to other corrosion issues, like electrical. Maybe a better storage option...

The following users liked this post:
Tedjay (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 11:20 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Use S100 Bike wash and a wheel cleaning brush that is cone shaped, it is how I use to
clean my wire wheels.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:12 AM
07FXSTOki
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Simple Green and spray off with water. Get stainless steel if you can. Harley Chrome sucks.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:58 PM
solobip
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a used RKC from florida and it needed some tlc also. After washing normally, I ended up getting a beer, a stooll, some chrome polish and a wide cottton shoe lace and dipped in the polish, kinda wrapped around the spoke and pulled back and forth, every third spoke drink some beer, dip and return. Also helps to have a radio on with you favorite music and think about how beautiful it will all look after you sober up.

Georgia DailyRider (02-11-2024)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:38 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

The easiest way to keep wire wheels clean is to clean them often, about every 2000 miles depending on the environment. I know that sounds like a lot of work, but it only takes a minute if you do it often. And you need the right tools, something like this makes the job real fast.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Concours...OwsaAtpo8P8HAQ

Beary

PhillySoldier (05-17-2021)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,795 Likes on 2,537 Posts

For the rims a good cleaning then use a chrome polish like Turtle Wax Chrome polish. But I believe the spokes are zinc plated may be some good old fashioned scrubbing is in order.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

I must be very fortunate, some of you guys really put a bunch of work into cleaning chrome spoke wheels. Mine stay clean with minimal effort. Soapy wash cloth when I wash the bike, a dry wipe with the microfiber with detail spray, and I am done.
Must be environment, or something.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:00 AM
drive1450
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Will have a read over later. No substitute for elbow grease it seems. I don't mind putting the time and effort in, just good to know the most effective way as everyone has thier own.

rear tyre needs changing so maybe I can get stuck into it when the wheels off. Not sure if I've let the rear go too far now or if it's all surface rust. I doubt it though. looks like the chrome has gone so I'm thinking of a refurb on the back at least.

Quick Reply: wire/spoke wheels cleaning