Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a good choice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:00 PM
SMT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a good choice.

So I have been around here for a couple months and noticed something. A lot ofyou (not all) bought 07 FL models as your first bike. Some came off of metric and some came off of Sportsters and God knows what else, but some bought one as their very first HD.I read A LOT of bitching and moaning from owners of the new bikes and even some that don't even own a 07. Even if you have had Harley's in the past you will have to re-learn to ride the 2007 FL's because they are a whole different animal. And maybe it wasn't the best choice for youand you should rethink your decision.

The primary ratio on the 07's is all new and is essentially "over driven". Withan 1:1 6th gear ratio and the other gear ratio changes to the trans and final drive the bike can not be lugged...period. The power band is all new needs to be used in a whole different way. These bikes can not be ridden like the older models unless you change the primary and final drive gear ratios. However this will totally defeat the design of the TC96 torque output.

When I bought my FLHRC in March a I rode it away from the dealer (Santa Barbara)bone *** stock and had to ride 150 miles to my house (Bakersfield)so I had a lot of time to observe and think. I nursed it the first 50 or so miles and then hit I-5 North and opened it up. The first thing I noticed is that bike runs very lean because EPA regs and even leaner cause I'm in CA. Second thing I noticed was that the gear ratios were completely different from my 01 FLHTC/I and I had to adjust my riding style. The third thing I noticed was that the 1:1 6th gear was all but useless at anything under 70 mph, but that's fine because we all drive and ride like maniacs out here anyway so it is a very useful gear for me.

So my point is what you're asking?

My point is this... even if you are old scooter trash like me and have ridden HD's all your life, you will have to re-learn to ride the 07's like I did. You can ride it stock and have many years of great service or you can do like I did and find it's full potential with an A/C, PC III, Rush 2.0 slip ons and Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 in the crank, primary and Mobil 1 75/140 in the trans. There are many other combinations you can use but this is what works for me. I did all this myself in the first 250 miles and love everything about the bike and have no regrets.

Most of what I read on here is positive but there is a whole lot of negative too. HD has to jump through many hoops to even offer a air cooled v-twin and in it's stock form it's lean and hot...no doubt about it. But you as an owner can make it run cool and with lots of usable power but the dealer can only do so much for you because their hands are tied by the feds.

If you want to lug it around so your loud pipes sound "cool" you will have problems plain and simple, it'll get hot, ping and make an ungodly racket from the gear train. Buy an TC88, Evo, Shovel or even a Pan if you want to do that and you'll be happy.

OK...so tell me how I'm full of crap and you still wanna sue HD for your pain and suffering.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:13 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Not a good choice.

I completely agree.

HOWEVER!!!

I'm now MISERABLE with the anemic "power" produced by the 96"incher [sm=boohoo.gif]and I'm trying to figure a way to squeeze blood from a turnip. I know it has never been done before, but DAMN I'm trying.[:@]

I WANT MORE!!!!!........hello? These bikes should come from the factory with no less than 100/100 for the coin we pay.[>:]

Oh yea, where were we? Yea, shift into 6th at 70.[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 06-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent post, SMT. Not only did you hit the nail on the head, the additional hammerstroke was needed!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-03-2007, 01:32 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

That made perfect sence. Theres always a trade off imo

Old 06-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

I think that you hit the nail on the head. When I ride my wife's 07' Low Rider I tend to keep the rpm's above 3k so the engine never gets a chance to lug and it runs and sounds great. I do observe alot of guys with the 07's thattend torun at a lower rpm and I hear the engine barely chugging along...I figure that can't be good.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:56 PM
356rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SMT, I've been riding Harleys exclusively for nearly 30 years and much of what you say rings true -except your statement about the primary ratio and the torque curve of the 96. The new ratio robs the torque potential of the 96 at the rear wheel.. I'm very happy with most of the elements of my new 07 Ultra except the final drive ratio (and yes, 5th gear is noisier than any past HD I've had but it is not too obnoxious on mine). IMO, Harley decided not to make the 6 speed tranny a true overdrive and compensated by reducing the primary ratio considerably. Too much to suit me! This has the effect of robbing low end torque. Hell, the damn thing almost wants to lug starting off in first. I hear people talk about the increased torque of the 96 FL models and I just don't feel it. Yes, the stage one helped but mostly at higher RPMs. You say you have to drive this bike differently than any other Harley. Well, that's not what I personally want. I swear that my '02 88 with stage I pulls better in 5th than the '07 does in 5th. That's just wrong. A Harley big twin without low end grunt just doesn't feel right. When they come out with a smaller engine comp sprocket I'll be first in line and after some reviews on what it does for the bike, I don't think I'll be alone.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:13 PM
SMT
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 356rider

When they come out with a smaller engine comp sprocket I'll be first in line and after some reviews on what it does for the bike, I don't think I'll be alone.
You gotta do whatcha gotta do bro.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Snort
Road Captain

My '07 FLHRC is the first bike I have ever owned unless you count the mini bikes I had as a kid. With just around 2400 miles in two months, I've stayed away from mods as of yet because I wanted to learn all that I could before starting down that long and winding road.
I do wish that it had more torque, or a lower first gear ratio, as I get it rolling from a stop. You have to clutch and throttle a bit much IMO.
I'll definately do some type of Stage I, with anAN Big Sucker for the breather but am not sold on the right fuel management device or program just yet. I've got a set of Samson Rolled Thunder S/O's to add when I'm ready. An oil cooler is on the top of my list too. Cooler is better. [8D]
As far as not lugging the motor, I do agree with you and I dosearch through the gears sometimes trying to find the right spot. I have no idea what RPM I'm running because there isn't one on my RKC and it's so darned quiet that I can't tell by the sound either! But I do keep it spooled up as much for self defence as anything.
I get so much enjoyment from my bike that I just consider what others are fussing about as idiosyncrencies rather than annoyances.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:38 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

You must own a lot of HD stock.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:52 PM
msh134
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought an 07 rkc as my first hd and i have added a few mods and i loooooooooooove my rkc maybe i dont have a opinion about the trans noise or the clatter and such because its my first harley. i do not hear a whine in 5 gear and the clatter i have read about doesnt seem to exist on my bike or being its my first hd i think its normal. i love it the way it is and i have the addiction and i dont see an end in sight for me i love my hd!!!!!

Quick Reply: Not a good choice.