Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a good choice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:44 AM
nightglide
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Not a good choice.

WOW I finaly met my first KNOW IT ALL!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
SMT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW Really, who would that be and why do you say that? I would think it would be hard to tell on this site because there are so many.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:18 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

nightglide,

Which one of us? Or, should we just start assigning numbers? Nice looking bike by the way.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master

ORIGINAL: nightglide

WOW I finaly met my first KNOW IT ALL!!!
Wow! The fact that it took over 400 posts on the HDFORUM before you met your "first KNOW IT ALL" really surprises the hell outta me.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:00 PM
bloozeman2002
Cruiser

I have to agree with the guy that said that it is a Touring bike. It is designed for the long haul and to keep you comfortable. I wouldn't change a thing about the gearing. Don't get me wrong, I love my evo softail around town, but I also rode that evo softail to Sturgis many times, and this 96/6speed combo is way more comfortable, and it feels right at home running the open road at 80-85mph. This is what I wanted from a Touring bike, and it delivers. It handles the open road beautifully. I compare it to a big old Cadillac. They can be a little hard to deal with around town, but the long trips make it all worth while. I guess it is just the nature of the beast with gearing. You either have low end torque, or high end speed. Maybe a 7 speed would make more folks happy. I know I wouldn't mind having more power out of the hole, but I wouldn't sacrifice my high speed cruising for it. I do have to keep my rpm's up a little higher around town, but with this in mind, I never lug the motor, or get any clattering or noise. If you run the motor where it likes to be run, it isn't an issue.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Lou70
Intermediate

Just joined the forum after being a lurker for a month or so. I'm currently researching my next bike and found the information here to be invaluable.
At the top of my list is the Street Glide, followed by the Road Glide and the Yamaha Roadliner ( no flames please).

Now, I don't have any $$$ isssue so I can pretty much buy whatever I want but from what I've read about the 07's, I think I'll hold out for the 08's, hoping that the heat, tranny issues have been resolved. Spending 20k+ on a bike with an additional 1g - 2g to make it run and sound like a harley doesn't make a ton of sense. I may be totally off here, if so, feel free to chime in. Motorups did make some sense to me but others seem to accept harley's flaws. I'll most likely get a harley but the stealers inflated MSRP price and additional cash for PCM's, pipes, etc.. rub me the wrong way.. I'm not trying to start any flame wars but really need to understand. Does all this go away once you become an owner?

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm betting there won't be any difference in the 08's than the later built 07's. They're still going to be lean from the factory and you're probably going to have to do some performance upgrades. I think Harley knows this. (It's a racket I think) I think the few that have had problems with the 07's got a pre November built bike. My bike, built in January, has none of the issues that some have had. 5th gear did have a different sound than the other gears but is getting so quiet now that I went on a 500 mile trip last weekend and did not notice any noise from 5th. I never have had an issue with noise from 6th gear. I am very careful not to lug the engine and have been from day 1. I don't know if that has made a difference but I am very pleased with the way the bike runs. Heat not an issue after upgrades. Mine is a Road King so I don't know if the farings on some of the baggers causes the bike to feel hotter because of trapping the heat. Even before the performance upgrades I didn't really think my bike ran all that hot.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SMT

Glad to see I'm not alone in my opinions.
You're not! First thing I noticed is the huge difference with 07 gearing. I really like it and like it a lot more after Stage 1. My Road King is getting jealous because it sits in the garage while her sister gets taken out all the time....and gets ridden...... Ride safe!

Old 06-07-2007, 06:20 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SMT

So I have been around here for a couple months and noticed something. A lot ofyou (not all) bought 07 FL models as your first bike. Some came off of metric and some came off of Sportsters and God knows what else, but some bought one as their very first HD.I read A LOT of bitching and moaning from owners of the new bikes and even some that don't even own a 07. Even if you have had Harley's in the past you will have to re-learn to ride the 2007 FL's because they are a whole different animal. And maybe it wasn't the best choice for youand you should rethink your decision.

The primary ratio on the 07's is all new and is essentially "over driven". Withan 1:1 6th gear ratio and the other gear ratio changes to the trans and final drive the bike can not be lugged...period. The power band is all new needs to be used in a whole different way. These bikes can not be ridden like the older models unless you change the primary and final drive gear ratios. However this will totally defeat the design of the TC96 torque output.

When I bought my FLHRC in March a I rode it away from the dealer (Santa Barbara)bone *** stock and had to ride 150 miles to my house (Bakersfield)so I had a lot of time to observe and think. I nursed it the first 50 or so miles and then hit I-5 North and opened it up. The first thing I noticed is that bike runs very lean because EPA regs and even leaner cause I'm in CA. Second thing I noticed was that the gear ratios were completely different from my 01 FLHTC/I and I had to adjust my riding style. The third thing I noticed was that the 1:1 6th gear was all but useless at anything under 70 mph, but that's fine because we all drive and ride like maniacs out here anyway so it is a very useful gear for me.

So my point is what you're asking?

My point is this... even if you are old scooter trash like me and have ridden HD's all your life, you will have to re-learn to ride the 07's like I did. You can ride it stock and have many years of great service or you can do like I did and find it's full potential with an A/C, PC III, Rush 2.0 slip ons and Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 in the crank, primary and Mobil 1 75/140 in the trans. There are many other combinations you can use but this is what works for me. I did all this myself in the first 250 miles and love everything about the bike and have no regrets.

Most of what I read on here is positive but there is a whole lot of negative too. HD has to jump through many hoops to even offer a air cooled v-twin and in it's stock form it's lean and hot...no doubt about it. But you as an owner can make it run cool and with lots of usable power but the dealer can only do so much for you because their hands are tied by the feds.

If you want to lug it around so your loud pipes sound "cool" you will have problems plain and simple, it'll get hot, ping and make an ungodly racket from the gear train. Buy an TC88, Evo, Shovel or even a Pan if you want to do that and you'll be happy.

OK...so tell me how I'm full of crap and you still wanna sue HD for your pain and suffering.

From a guy who has ridden MANY Japanese bikes and the owner of a 50-year old Harly FLH, my RKC runs GREAT! Maybe I was lucky. I ride it the way it FEELS and SOUNDS like it wants to run. I have had great success and all smiles so far!

Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Just because some of us complain about problems we are experiencing doesnt make us wingers.
I think alot of forum members are complaining about the treatment recieved from the stealers.
We have all been fed a lot a cowdung and in some instances out & out bare faced lies, most would agree and accept that the bikes introduced in the past few years by the MoCo are having some real problems. All us wingers want is a fair suck of the sav ( Ozzie saying ) not to be treated as idiots. Yes the latest batch of cyclesdo run hot, maybe a change in the way the oil is distributed through the motor or a larger oil capacity would have helped, maybe a oil cooler with fan should have been standard on the touring bikes.
Not being told by the stealers that we should expect overheating,pinging,poor power & torque and noisy gears is the main problem IMO and the total bull$**t that there are no problems to be fixed unless of course you a ready to hand over $2000 - $4000 which all of a sudden they can magically fix all the problems the cycles dont have.
I am not a winger & moaner, after handing over $35000 of my hard earned Ozzie dollars it really peeves me to have to spend more money on fixing the MoCo faults when I could be spending that money on the bling of my choice.

Thats my 2cents worth take it of leave it.

Quick Reply: Not a good choice.