Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a good choice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 AM
SMT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Not a good choice.

Glad to see I'm not alone in my opinions.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Call me the divergent opinion, but after nearly 1100 mile on a rented 07 classic, I could not wait to get home and kiss my 06 on the headlight nacelle. I liked nothing about the motor/tranny combo. It pinged on anything short of Hydrogen-tetrazine, 6th gear was nearly usless unless you want to cruise at 80 or above, (figure maybe 200 miles out of 1100 that I could use 6th) and a horrible noise coming from the primary every time I started it.

I'm proud to have the last of the 88's. It cruises at 80-90 and I have yet to wish for an overdrive. It hasdecent of power (could use a little more, but then so could the 96) and has never, ever gone into heat management.

For all those of you who own a 07and are happy with it... Good for you, I am happy you like it. But for me, I found NOTHING about it that make me want to trade in my 06 for one.

Tim

Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 PM
SMT
Tourer

To each his own I guess...but for what it is worth, 6th is not an overdrive. It is a 1:1 direct drive.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:00 PM
motorups
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So that makes me the ******* of the group since I don't feel we should have to spend money on air/fuel/exhaust upgrades in order to have a bike one can ride with comfort in florida during the summer.

Yeah I know, it is an air cooled bike, the 07 engine is bigger, epa, their hands are tied. If you went out and purchased a car for $18,000 then was told to make it comfortable you really need to drop anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 into it would you be happy?

Now just so you can start slaming those keys as you type a reply I will save you some time:

1. yes it is my first harley (a 883 many years back really does not count)
2. yes I know if you want a harley (specially a 07) you must accept they run too lean and will have to spend money to fix the problem
3. nope I have not done any upgrades yet and nope I cannot say for sure the cost to do them but a wag of 1 to 2k does notseem out of the question
4. Do not have a real desire to switch out the stock exhaust other then to maybe go to true dual headers on my 07 ok.
5. yeap, florida is hot and any darn bike u ride will feel hot if your on it anytime during the hours of 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. est in the summer

I will get the heat shields on I got from kuryakyn...yes I know now I should have gotten the fried legs one instead but too late now.

To all enjoy your rides. I love how the rk looks but pissed a bit at hd but mostly myself for not understanding what was required of the bike I purchased. So that is my fault, hell they dont tell the salesmen to tell you it is hot as hell on the rear jug and to plan on spending $$$ on xyz just to fix it.
Ok, everyone can now get pissed off about my post

Old 06-07-2007, 01:44 AM
IamZardoz
Tourer

My two centavos; Im riding my 07 FLHT stock and love it.Seems to me to have way more power than my older softtails, there are many folks that just want more and more power, thats understandable butmine is plenty quick and powerful as it is. Re: running lean, well, I guess it does, doesnt bother me, no pinging so so what? I havent had that timing torque download done yet that I understand will cool it off a bit anyway. Re the tranny, I think its the best thing since sliced bread. I never use 6th on inner city highways even when Im going 70 because I need that little extra jiuce from 5th if I need to get around somebody. But out on the open highway, cruising at 70-75 or more, its fantastic. Bike runs 75 mph at 2500-2600 rpmswith my fat *** all over it. No buyers remorse here.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

ORIGINAL: 356rider

SMT, I've been riding Harleys exclusively for nearly 30 years and much of what you say rings true -except your statement about the primary ratio and the torque curve of the 96. The new ratio robs the torque potential of the 96 at the rear wheel.. I'm very happy with most of the elements of my new 07 Ultra except the final drive ratio (and yes, 5th gear is noisier than any past HD I've had but it is not too obnoxious on mine). IMO, Harley decided not to make the 6 speed tranny a true overdrive and compensated by reducing the primary ratio considerably. Too much to suit me! This has the effect of robbing low end torque. Hell, the damn thing almost wants to lug starting off in first. I hear people talk about the increased torque of the 96 FL models and I just don't feel it. Yes, the stage one helped but mostly at higher RPMs. You say you have to drive this bike differently than any other Harley. Well, that's not what I personally want. I swear that my '02 88 with stage I pulls better in 5th than the '07 does in 5th. That's just wrong. A Harley big twin without low end grunt just doesn't feel right. When they come out with a smaller engine comp sprocket I'll be first in line and after some reviews on what it does for the bike, I don't think I'll be alone.
Andrews has tranny pulleys out. I haven't seen a smaller comp sprocket yet.
http://www.andrews-products.com/moto...lt_Pulleys.htm

It took me about 20 miles to get the hang of my '07. Coming off a '99 RKC it is definitely a different riding style. I think I'm going to like it once the stage 1 is done. Just loping along at 70mph + is great.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:24 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

I came from 2 stroke dirt bikes (try to lug one of those) from 20 years ago.
I have 2007 Ultra Classic. Stage 1 AC, download, and SE pipes. Amsoil in the engine and primary, bel ray in the tranny. I've had it 10 months, just took it in for 11,000 mile checkup. I've done 12 hour days on it. I'm doing a 4000 mile week the end of this month. All with my wife on the back.
5th gear is obnoxious as h3ll.
Is it a great bike? Heck yes. Could Harley have done a better job with the gearing/tranny? Heck yes.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:46 AM
SMT
Tourer

ORIGINAL: motorups

So that makes me the ******* of the group since I don't feel we should have to spend money on air/fuel/exhaust upgrades in order to have a bike one can ride with comfort in florida during the summer.

Yeah I know, it is an air cooled bike, the 07 engine is bigger, epa, their hands are tied. If you went out and purchased a car for $18,000 then was told to make it comfortable you really need to drop anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 into it would you be happy?

Now just so you can start slaming those keys as you type a reply I will save you some time:

1. yes it is my first harley (a 883 many years back really does not count)
2. yes I know if you want a harley (specially a 07) you must accept they run too lean and will have to spend money to fix the problem
3. nope I have not done any upgrades yet and nope I cannot say for sure the cost to do them but a wag of 1 to 2k does notseem out of the question
4. Do not have a real desire to switch out the stock exhaust other then to maybe go to true dual headers on my 07 ok.
5. yeap, florida is hot and any darn bike u ride will feel hot if your on it anytime during the hours of 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. est in the summer

I will get the heat shields on I got from kuryakyn...yes I know now I should have gotten the fried legs one instead but too late now.

To all enjoy your rides. I love how the rk looks but pissed a bit at hd but mostly myself for not understanding what was required of the bike I purchased. So that is my fault, hell they dont tell the salesmen to tell you it is hot as hell on the rear jug and to plan on spending $$$ on xyz just to fix it.
Ok, everyone can now get pissed off about my post
Your bike man...handle it anyway you want, who am I to tell you what to do with it[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 AM
DaleG
Advanced

I went to the ROT ralley in Austin last week. It was hot as hell. I rode with HD touring bikes from 2002 to 2007. I have stage 1 and had no real problems with the heat. It was no worse than the 88s. As for lack of torque. I dynoed at 90 ft.lbs, which seems plenty good to me for a stage 1 stock bike. And the post about not being able to use 6th until 80 mph is BS. I cruised all the way back from Austin at 65 to 70 mph in 6th.The bike pulls finein 6th at that speed. If I want maximum acceleration to pass a car I just dropped it down to 5th.

I came off a stage 1, 2004, 1200C sportster.I did not notice a big difference in acceleration, especially when above 55 mph. I love this bike. I have no big issues with it. Are there improvements that I would like to do. Yes, but heck people like to upgrade Corvettes and Mustangs for a little more power and handling. I was in a Yamaha shop a couple of weeks ago.I was suprized to see the power comanders on the wall. The guy behind the counter told me, due to the EPA,if you want good performance out of their sport bikes and cruizers you need to do a stage 1.HD is not alone when it comes to spending big bucks to make themrun better. Bikes are like boats, if you like them, you have to be willing to dump some money in a black hole.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:58 AM
356rider
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

ORIGINAL: 356rider

... When they come out with a smaller engine comp sprocket I'll be first in line and after some reviews on what it does for the bike, I don't think I'll be alone.
Andrews has tranny pulleys out. I haven't seen a smaller comp sprocket yet.
http://www.andrews-products.com/moto...lt_Pulleys.htm

It took me about 20 miles to get the hang of my '07. Coming off a '99 RKC it is definitely a different riding style. I think I'm going to like it once the stage 1 is done. Just loping along at 70mph + is great.
Yes you can go with the smaller trans pulley (Baker also has one) but I'm waiting for the engine comp sprocket. With the trans pulley, you have to pull everything out of the primary, remove the inner primary cover, etc. Also you have to use a smaller (1 tooth) belt so you have to drop the swing arm to install.Also, you need to get the speedo correction device and wire that up. With a comp sprocket change, it'll be cheaper and much less labor. I bet something will be out ina couple ofmos.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30261/F042148419754D01A0A6FE0F90C8DC8F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Not a good choice.