Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a good choice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Not a good choice.

I'll second everything you said! Got rid of noise in 5th with Amsoil, personally like the stock pipes and rode trips (I think the guys and gals who road trip with load pipes are nuts...I know their deaf)!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:45 PM
RCR
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is whyI wishscreamin eagle would offer a 32 tooth comp sprocket so those of us that would like to could put our primary ratio back to 1:44 to 1 like last year. we would still have a higher final ratio than the older bikes, and possibly move the clatter down to a lowerRPM. I think this would also deliver more torque to the rear wheel.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

SMT. I am new to harley's, been riding metrics off and on for 30 years. I agree my 07 EGC likes tO run at a minimum RPM of 2000 1st thru 3rd and 2250 to 2500 in the taller gears. I don't mind it. It did cause me some concern at first since I had tried buddies bike and it was not what I came to expect of a Harley. It is a new motor and needs different TLC. Overall I am impressed with the Bike. As I have cleaned it and added little dodads it never seems to amaze me how massive and well designed very aspect is. There is always room for improvment. I spent 13 years in the Air Force and now 5 years in the repair of medical equipment. You can always try to second quess the Engineers. But it gets really hard whaen the FEDS get involved. I see it all the time when the FDA shuts down one of my vendors.

I think you are beating a dead horse when you complain that the MOCO could have done something different.

WAKE UP PEOPLE, THE BIG THREE HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS FOR YEARS, NOW THAT IT'S BEING APPLIED TO HARLEY, YOU GET PISSED?

Old 06-03-2007, 06:56 PM
356rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCR

This is whyI wishscreamin eagle would offer a 32 tooth comp sprocket so those of us that would like to could put our primary ratio back to 1:44 to 1 like last year. we would still have a higher final ratio than the older bikes, and possibly move the clatter down to a lowerRPM. I think this would also deliver more torque to the rear wheel.
[sm=exactly.gif]You got it! Harley has always offered different size engine comp sprockets and I'm sure they will for the new primary setup. I just wish they would hurry up.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Timex
Tourer

Well said!
ORIGINAL: SMT

So I have been around here for a couple months and noticed something. A lot ofyou (not all) bought 07 FL models as your first bike. Some came off of metric and some came off of Sportsters and God knows what else, but some bought one as their very first HD.I read A LOT of bitching and moaning from owners of the new bikes and even some that don't even own a 07. Even if you have had Harley's in the past you will have to re-learn to ride the 2007 FL's because they are a whole different animal. And maybe it wasn't the best choice for youand you should rethink your decision.

The primary ratio on the 07's is all new and is essentially "over driven". Withan 1:1 6th gear ratio and the other gear ratio changes to the trans and final drive the bike can not be lugged...period. The power band is all new needs to be used in a whole different way. These bikes can not be ridden like the older models unless you change the primary and final drive gear ratios. However this will totally defeat the design of the TC96 torque output.

When I bought my FLHRC in March a I rode it away from the dealer (Santa Barbara)bone *** stock and had to ride 150 miles to my house (Bakersfield)so I had a lot of time to observe and think. I nursed it the first 50 or so miles and then hit I-5 North and opened it up. The first thing I noticed is that bike runs very lean because EPA regs and even leaner cause I'm in CA. Second thing I noticed was that the gear ratios were completely different from my 01 FLHTC/I and I had to adjust my riding style. The third thing I noticed was that the 1:1 6th gear was all but useless at anything under 70 mph, but that's fine because we all drive and ride like maniacs out here anyway so it is a very useful gear for me.

So my point is what you're asking?

My point is this... even if you are old scooter trash like me and have ridden HD's all your life, you will have to re-learn to ride the 07's like I did. You can ride it stock and have many years of great service or you can do like I did and find it's full potential with an A/C, PC III, Rush 2.0 slip ons and Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 in the crank, primary and Mobil 1 75/140 in the trans. There are many other combinations you can use but this is what works for me. I did all this myself in the first 250 miles and love everything about the bike and have no regrets.

Most of what I read on here is positive but there is a whole lot of negative too. HD has to jump through many hoops to even offer a air cooled v-twin and in it's stock form it's lean and hot...no doubt about it. But you as an owner can make it run cool and with lots of usable power but the dealer can only do so much for you because their hands are tied by the feds.

If you want to lug it around so your loud pipes sound "cool" you will have problems plain and simple, it'll get hot, ping and make an ungodly racket from the gear train. Buy an TC88, Evo, Shovel or even a Pan if you want to do that and you'll be happy.

OK...so tell me how I'm full of crap and you still wanna sue HD for your pain and suffering.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
cowboyglide
Banned

SMT, I have been thinking the same things you have for a long time. For those that are interested I'll share some changesI have made to my 07 SG. Rinehart TDs, Screaming Eagle pro heavy breather ( the long tapered one that looks like a Force Winder filter) Mobil 1 V twin and the ThunderMax with auto tune. There is no BS in how this bike is running, no heat issues even on 90 degree days in stop and go traffic ( I don't mean it doesn't get normal Harley hot because it does just not bad hot) , pulls very strong in 1st pullling away from a dead stop, no pinging, bucking or shakingin any of the other 5 gears as long as you stay above 2 grand, minor gear noise in 5th, and no other problems. I generally keep my Rs above 2300 in all gears and she will pull strong when I give her more throttle. I can put it in 6th at 60mph at 2300 and it will cruise with no problem even pulling hills with the cruise control on without pinging or changing exhaust note and if I need to pass a car while the cruise control is engaged I can without down shifting.
I've had Harleys since the 60's and still have an 03 Deuce,6 speed,PCIII and vance and hines big shots that runs great with 30,000 miles.The 07 SG has a lot more torque and hp than it does. I don't mean any of this to be taken as bragging because it's not. I did install everything but I just ride it the upgrades and the 96 and 6 speed are doing all the work.I just wanted to let those that are not to jaded yet to know what these new bikes are capable of when all that detuned torque and hp are set free. I really really like this bike.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM
barefoot1313
Tourer

this is my first hd,been on metrics all my life.im one a those that always wanted a harley but due to lots of early mistakes and then raisin a bunch of kids,its taken me till now to finally get what i allways wanted,and you know what? im happiern a pig in
$hit ,for all thos that aint , ill be happy for ya!!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

SMT,

Let me make sure I understand. Are you saying that the new engine is designed to operate at a higher rpm range? For example, mine doesn't like to run below 2500 and for sure not below 2000. And you are also saying that to make matters worse, the final drive ratio was lowered? So together you are saying that we have to learn a whole different way to ride a Harley? Is the usable rpm change because this motor is essentially a stroker compared to the old motor? I come from other bikes and I can tell you that I have had to relearn how to ride a v-twin. I run it closer to 3000 and she purrs like a kitten.

If I am right about what I am saying, would a change in the primary ratio make it better to ride in your opinion? For example, make it easier to take off in first and make 6th gear usable from say 55/60 mph?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior

I have been riding a Dyan for 4 years and bought a Electra Glide Friday and have been riding between rain clouds all weekend. I love the comfort of the bigger bike, but I will be spending some money to get the pep back. Even with the loss of power, I am glad I made the change.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:08 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

SMT is right, riding the 07 is a learning experience..but I've had my 07 SG since the last of 06 summer and into the winter of 07.. I have found the
bike likes Cool weather, and when the bike is cool it has no lugging problems, The fact the bike is extreamly lean is a cause, I haven't done a fuel management
or air cleaner upgrade, but did add SE (one piece) slipons and had the 903 cpu upgrade, I had mentioned to the tech when I took it in for the "enhancement"
that I thought it was running way too lean.. and the tech said he would tweak the fuel.. after that, it runs much better, has the Harley sound, but it's still a bit lean, because when it get's hot outside the Idle seems to raise.. when I ride to work in the morning, it's cool and runs like a charm, no rattle and I can cruise at 55-65 in 6th with no lugging, as the temp goes up I have to drop to 5th.. So my conclusion is if the heat could be controled and fuel fattened up the bike would be just fine, I'm looking forward to the 2 into 1 Fatcat, DTT, and a serious Air cleaner system.. but that's down the road... when I do the 107 upgrade..

Quick Reply: Not a good choice.