Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Progressive 440's on Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:50 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Progressive 440's on Ultra

What will I give up in comfort and/or performance if I go with 12" or 12.5" instead of 13"?

Together we weigh 325# (185# + 140#) and ride loaded quite a bit....legroom isn't a problem, but I like the lowered look of shorter shocks

I don't want to compromise ride comfort and I don't want to bottom out while loaded...should I just stay with the 13" or will the shorter shocks work with our weight?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Considering Progressive 440's on Ultra

ORIGINAL: kdietz

What will I give up in comfort and/or performance if I go with 12" or 12.5" instead of 13"?

Together we weigh 325# and ride loaded quite a bit....legroom isn't a problem, but I like the lowered look of shorter shocks

I don't want to compromise ride comfort and I don't want to bottom out while loaded...should I just stay with the 13" or will the shorter shocks work with our weight?
Ride comfort will suffer the lower you go, as suspension travel decreases. Personally, if I was carrying the weight of two I wouldn't consider lowering beyond the 13" stock setup. If you buy Progressive 440's and go with the 12" option, the ride quality may not suffer that much compared to stock, but compared to a 13" 440 the ride will not be as good and it will bottom-out more readily. Whatever you do don't buy the HD low-profile (12") shocks that are standard on the SG and RKS, as they are losers. I replaced them on my SG with Progressive 440 12½" and I'm pressed to see or feel the difference of ½" in terms of height. In terms of comfort, it transformed the bike, and is a meaningful improvement. There is some looseness in the rebound control of these shocks, but it isn't a problem for me. You would need the HD springs, not the standard springs I'm using because of the weight you typically carry. Ride is supple on small bumps to a point where I now notice the relative harshness of the front suspension. I may go with Progressive springs on the front at some point in the future, but that's not a big priority. I rode 420 miles yesterday and gave them their first good workout, and can now give them my official thumbs up for solo riding.

Another option would be to buy a White Brothers (Burly Brand) or other lowering kit, which will lower your bike 1" using stock shocks. I had these on my '96 RK and they were faultless. Ride was fine and never had a problem with clearance. They claim you retain the stock suspension travel, which is a plus. And at about $125 is more economical than replacing the shocks.

Some claim Works Performance shocks are superior to the 440's, but my experience is that their customer service is lacking, and they claim that every 30-40k they need to be sent to CA for service at a cost of $85, plus shipping both ways. This put them out of contention for me, and after experiencing their rude customer-service personnel I wouldn't consider them again. Progressive has a lifetime guarantee on their shocks, and claim it isn't unusual for their shocks to last >100k in a street environment.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:53 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a side note if you will call progressive they are happy to recommend length and spring stiffness. in my case I weigh 170 and my wife around 145 the tech I spoke to recomended if I wanted to go to 13" then the standered rate springs are what I needed

Old 06-03-2007, 05:52 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

love the 440's on my bike....stayed with stock lenght as i didnt want to give up any ground clearance....floorboards take a beating as it is

Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best prices that I have found, not saying that this place is the cheapest, but these arethe lowest prices on 440'sI have found. If you need to check the numbers just go to progressives web site. I asked the seller a question and it took about 1.5 -2 days to get a answer, just so you know. If i go with the 440'sI'll get mine from him. http://search.stores.ebay.com/Motorc...673711QQsofpZ0

Old 06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with the 440's in standard length as well. After an initial adjustment they have been awesome. I agree that lowering the rear will limit travel. You may be able to get away with it by using the HD spring which will make for a firmer ride

Old 06-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Warhawk
Tourer

Received 191 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a set of 12 inch Works Performance shocks, their top of the line model.

The ride quality is BETTER than the stock HD air shocks that came on my '05 Ultra. The handling is imrpoved and wallowing in corners is GONE.

I intended to get a set of Progressive 440's, but got a deal on these (half price) and couldn't resist.

They are going on my new bike, an '07 FLHTC

Old 06-12-2007, 09:07 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Karl,
Before you go out and get a set of the 440's take and consider an alternative...
BITUBO Italian racing rear shocks
There comming to the H-D touring world
Heres a little I managed to pick up...

Spring Preload (not just 5 clicks either), Rebound Damping (5 adjustment points), and Compression Damping (several click settings from hard to soft) through a separate nitrogen filled reservoir attached to the shock.These shocks can be fine tuned for your riding style and load.

These shocks are completely rebuildable, and Traxxion will service them if/when that ever becomes necessary. A kit is available for doing so. The Traxxion customer service is excellent, and they will stand behind their products with both service and tech support.

they are having some positive reviews on another forum...
patience Grasshopper

Old 06-12-2007, 09:11 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Good choice going with the 440's. Great add on to a touring bike right up there with Metzlers. I agree with the group would avoid changing the height. If your over 250 lbs consistently progressive will recommend HD springs.

Enjoy