Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017 | 09:45 AM
Firebolter
Tourer

I went and ended up with the Olive Gold. I actually liked it in person. I didn't want Black. I like the Charcoal too, but my 16 Magnum/X1 is Matte Grey and I kinda didn't want 2 bikes the same! Plus I like having regular paint, it is actually easy to maintain IMO.

All I have done for now is a curved License plate frame, smoke lenses and Red Led's for the rear and black axle covers. Gonna remove the heel shifter, don't use it and I would rather have the extra space for my feet to move around.

I rotated my bars forward about 2 inches, feels way better. Actually like the stock bars.

I was able to get the allen head bolts loose to remove the reflector/tag plate without removing the light bar. I used blue tape and taped up the fender so as not to scratch it. Used a pair of small needle nose vise grips and was able to get a bite on the head and loosen the bolts holding the tag plate. Got them out by finger after I broke them loose, then replaced them with 1/4 x 1/2inch Hex head bolts with new lock washers. Then I could easily get my small 10mm ratcheted box end on them to tighten up. I had a hell of a time trying to get the light bar bolts loose so I took my time and went with the above method. Looks much cleaner now on the rear with smoke lenses and the black curved license plate frame.

The following 2 users liked this post by Firebolter:
Oil, Gas & Leather (04-11-2020), Poodie (07-25-2017)
Old 04-07-2017 | 10:32 AM
FunnelCake Combo
|
Tourer

Sounds Awesome Firebolter..

Throw up some Pics

Lots of em

you will be the first on the forum with this color.

Looking forward to the pics of the handlebars moved forward.

The following users liked this post:
Poodie (07-25-2017)
Old 04-07-2017 | 10:35 AM
Firebolter
Tourer

Here's the pics form the dealership. I'll post up some pics of the bars and back end this weekend.

Old 04-07-2017 | 03:27 PM
DocD1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kralj

Windshield will be powder coated black

Detachable air wing backrest

Detachable air wing luggage rack
All of that is going on mine eventually - ha. So you have to buy mounting hardware first right? Gah.

Old 04-07-2017 | 04:53 PM
Firebolter
Tourer

Back end cleaned up with smoke lenses, red LED's, curved license plate holder and no reflector above the plate. I've got a Ginz Choppers 10 inch Tepee Sissy bar on the way. Great for the passenger and nice to strap a bag to for extra space. I have a nice waterproof 20 litre bag you stand on end and strap to the sissy bar and it is like a back rest when riding/touring by myself.

My bitches!

Last edited by Firebolter; 04-07-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2017 | 05:04 PM
Firebolter
Tourer

One other thing, I am ditching the heel shifter. I don't use it and it will free up alot of foot room on the left side. My Vic has spoiled me with tons of room on the footboards to move around on long trips.

Old 04-07-2017 | 06:11 PM
DocD1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Firebolter
Back end cleaned up with smoke lenses, red LED's, curved license plate holder and no reflector above the plate. I've got a Ginz Choppers 10 inch Tepee Sissy bar on the way. Great for the passenger and nice to strap a bag to for extra space. I have a nice waterproof 20 litre bag you stand on end and strap to the sissy bar and it is like a back rest when riding/touring by myself.

My bitches!

I want my bike to be like yours when it grows up. Well except its black. And I'm just now trying to get used to the heel shifter. ha

Old 04-07-2017 | 11:41 PM
Mathis
Tourer

That looks fantastic! Do you remember what size the Torx is for the reflector bolts?

Old 04-08-2017 | 05:54 AM
Firebolter
Tourer

It's a T27. The reflector and the tag mount plate is held on by those 2 bolts, so when you take them out, the license plate will drop out as well. Tape up your fender with blue painters tape to protect the paint!!!!

I could not get my hand between the wheel and the inner fender to get the light bar off, so I used a pair of needle nose Vise Grips and carefully got a bite on the torx bolts to break them loose. I taped up my fender because there is not hardly any room and you could easily slip with the vise grips and scratch your paint!

Once I got the torx loose, I could then use my fingers to get them out. Replaced them with 1/4 x 1/2 Hex heads and new lock washers. Held the new license plate base while I got the hex heads in there and started. Again, there is not much room at all to do this given the shape of the light bar and proximity to the fender, but if you take your time and be patient, you can do it without removing the light bar.

Easiest way would be to just drop the rear wheel to get to the light bar bolts, or if I had a compound ratcheted box end, I probably could have gotten the light bar bolts off. Or lastly, if you could find a very short, like 1/4 inch long Torx wrench that would fit between the fender and the bolt, that would be easy as well, but I could not find one!

Last edited by Firebolter; 04-08-2017 at 05:56 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Firebolter:
Mathis (04-08-2017), Oil, Gas & Leather (04-11-2020), Poodie (07-25-2017)
Old 04-08-2017 | 09:33 AM
Mathis
Tourer

It's a T27. The reflector and the tag mount plate is held on by those 2 bolts, so when you take them out, the license plate will drop out as well. Tape up your fender with blue painters tape to protect the paint!!
Thanks. A friend said he ground down a Torx bit (made it short enough to fit) and did it the way you did. I'll give it a try.

Is that a Kuryakyn plate frame?

Last edited by Mathis; 04-08-2017 at 09:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mathis:
Oil, Gas & Leather (04-11-2020), Poodie (07-25-2017)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD