Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2024 | 01:56 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for asking,
YES these are Custom profile mirrors from Harley:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...rs/p/56000135A
They are a little thin in height, but offer a good side view and that suits me perfectly...

The following users liked this post:
Oil, Gas & Leather (10-04-2024)
Old 10-04-2024 | 09:21 AM
paws619
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
Thanks for asking,
YES these are Custom profile mirrors from Harley:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...rs/p/56000135A
They are a little thin in height, but offer a good side view and that suits me perfectly...
Right on, thanks!

Old 10-06-2024 | 12:41 PM
Slimsteve
6th Gear
Default Traded in Slim for 2017 RK Special

Good morning fam. Sorta new here. Just traded in my Slim for this beautiful RK Special. Came with a stage 2 with SE Ohlins piggy back rear shocks and Ohljns front suspension. The bars are 12” T bars and they look to be San Diego customs. Couple of things, the bike sits a little too high for me so the Ohlins rears will be up for sale within this week. Already ordered some progressive shocks for the rear. The T bars are not for me. I want to do the good ol apes. Probably will go with 16”. I need some help with the risers. Since the bike came with t bars there is no riser. Will any type of riser work? Can anyone point me in the right direction to install instructions for doing tall apes on the RK? I’ve done bars before but didn’t have to extend the clutch and brake lines. Thanks in advance and God bless Yall.

The following 2 users liked this post by Slimsteve:
JimRunningLizard (10-07-2024), WXSW (10-06-2024)
Old 10-06-2024 | 01:03 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air ForceVeteran: Reserves
Community Team

Originally Posted by Slimsteve
Good morning fam. Sorta new here. Just traded in my Slim for this beautiful RK Special. Came with a stage 2 with SE Ohlins piggy back rear shocks and Ohljns front suspension. The bars are 12” T bars and they look to be San Diego customs. Couple of things, the bike sits a little too high for me so the Ohlins rears will be up for sale within this week. Already ordered some progressive shocks for the rear. The T bars are not for me. I want to do the good ol apes. Probably will go with 16”. I need some help with the risers. Since the bike came with t bars there is no riser. Will any type of riser work? Can anyone point me in the right direction to install instructions for doing tall apes on the RK? I’ve done bars before but didn’t have to extend the clutch and brake lines. Thanks in advance and God bless Yall
Congrats someone dumped a ton of money into that bike. Me personally I wouldn't change a thing but of course you have to make it your own.

Old 10-06-2024 | 01:05 PM
bburky
Road Warrior

Hello there Slim, congrats on the new ride, nice colour.

I just have to put this out there, DO NOT sell those Ohlins shocks, you WILL be disappointed you did.

The progressives are a decent shock ( so I have only read about ), but they certainly are not up to the standard of those piggy backs, or most ( if not ALL ) Ohlins for that matter .

If you are finding the RK a little too tall there are other ways around that issue.

Oh btw were you able to discover what weight ( valving ) was used in your suspension ?

Good luck.

Last edited by bburky; 10-06-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Oil, Gas & Leather (10-15-2024)
Old 10-06-2024 | 01:14 PM
GreenMonster
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Congrats someone dumped a ton of money into that bike. Me personally I wouldn't change a thing but of course you have to make it your own.
was going to say the same someone put a bunch of money and traded it to go a bigger bagger or repo .

nice bike nice color

Last edited by GreenMonster; 10-06-2024 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2024 | 01:22 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by bburky
I just have to put this out there, DO NOT sell those Ohlins shocks, you WILL be disappointed you did.

The progressives are a decent shock ( so I have only read about ), but they certainly are not up to the standard of those piggy backs, or most ( if not ALL ) Ohlins for that matter.
I could not agree more. I have Progressive rear shocks on two bikes and they are nice but or nowhere close to a set of Ohlins!

Old 10-06-2024 | 01:43 PM
Slimsteve
6th Gear

Thanks for the comments. I know the Ohlins piggybacks are awesome. I live in an apartment and my garage is in an alley on a grade and I already almost dropped the bike backing into my garage last night. I like my feet to be planted while on the bike. I’ve already tried making adjustments to the preload to see if it’ll lower the bike anymore while I’m on it and nothing worked. Am I missing something where I can get the bike lower? Also any advice on the ape hanger install? I’ve searched online and YouTube. Nothing much that I’ve found. The T bars hurt my back and I’m leaning forward to reach the bars.

Old 10-06-2024 | 06:39 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for the comments. I know the Ohlins piggybacks are awesome. I live in an apartment and my garage is in an alley on a grade and I already almost dropped the bike backing into my garage last night. I like my feet to be planted while on the bike. I’ve already tried making adjustments to the preload to see if it’ll lower the bike anymore while I’m on it and nothing worked. Am I missing something where I can get the bike lower? Also any advice on the ape hanger install? I’ve searched online and YouTube. Nothing much that I’ve found. The T bars hurt my back and I’m leaning forward to reach the bars.
Hey Steve check your PM I sent you a message.

Old 10-06-2024 | 09:59 PM
coopmonte
Road Master

Steve, sent you a PM as well. As for the bars, they are not that difficult to change out. With 16" hangers you will need to do the upper clutch and the brake line along with some wire extensions. As for the rear shocks, you would be way better off getting a set of lowering blocks than go with Progressive shocks, the ones you have are a way better shock. I think Ness has lowering blocks for touring bikes, but not 100% on that.

Oil, Gas & Leather (10-15-2024)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD