Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 07:38 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,012 Posts

I did my own research on eliminating the HD speedo and I think I'm going with the Koso North American D2 unit which is plug and play for our RKS bikes. I'm also looking at carbon fiber center dash panels. Since I run the Kraus pull back riser and H-bar setup I already found out they make the brackets I need to mount the digital Koso unit to my risers.

The following users liked this post:
Candubrain (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 08:00 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

Right on, thanks y’all. This is the Koso gauge as well. I love it. Loved my Dakota, but love this with my risers now. Those carbon fiber dashes are nice for sure, and great with your kraus risers. I found this dash on eBay from a dealer.

The ignition flash was easy. Scheduled at the dealer to have the cvo flash done. Charged me for a half hour labor when I did my inspection. Then just unplugged the ignition. Now just starts with the killswitch and fob. Love it.

Old 09-07-2024, 08:16 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by jlb2782
Right on, thanks y’all. This is the Koso gauge as well. I love it. Loved my Dakota, but love this with my risers now. Those carbon fiber dashes are nice for sure, and great with your kraus risers. I found this dash on eBay from a dealer.

The ignition flash was easy. Scheduled at the dealer to have the cvo flash done. Charged me for a half hour labor when I did my inspection. Then just unplugged the ignition. Now just starts with the killswitch and fob. Love it.
Hey jlb could I ask with the Koso how did you connect the wires for the indicator lights? Did you have to cut them from the stock setup? I ordered all my parts just now. If I remember that indicator light unit doesn't have a plug but is a solid wire.

Old 09-08-2024, 01:45 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts

Removed my Dakota Digital Speedo and ignition. Did the CVO ignition flash and changed my dash to an ST. Much cleaner.

You transformed your RKS into a big LRS, it's a very good idea and you did a good job, but that's not what I would do, being the owner of an LRS, I want to move on an RKS for its majestic and classic side.
I would still be curious to see other photos of the entire bike...

Old 09-08-2024, 05:22 AM
jlb2782
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Hey jlb could I ask with the Koso how did you connect the wires for the indicator lights? Did you have to cut them from the stock setup? I ordered all my parts just now. If I remember that indicator light unit doesn't have a plug but is a solid wire.
No sir. Mine was plug and play. No splicing required. You should be good. I did need to order an extension piece because my risers are taller. And honestly, I think my mechanic made it, but you should be able to source one. PM me if not and I will do some research.

Old 09-08-2024, 05:24 AM
jlb2782
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
You transformed your RKS into a big LRS, it's a very good idea and you did a good job, but that's not what I would do, being the owner of an LRS, I want to move on an RKS for its majestic and classic side.
Hey man, love the LRS, but love my king more. You’re right, I kinda made it into an LRS style, as you can see in that pic, I do have mids on it. And love them. But still a king. I’ll try and get some more pics today or tomorrow for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Big Al 59 (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 06:07 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

No sir. Mine was plug and play. No splicing required. You should be good. I did need to order an extension piece because my risers are taller. And honestly, I think my mechanic made it, but you should be able to source one. PM me if not and I will do some research.
Ok I was just wondering about the five wires on the Koso unit leading to the five dash indicator lights in the on line instructions. Oil, right turn, left turn, high beam, and neutral. It looks like they have to be spliced together from the diagram. I'm happy to hear you don't.

I have to call Kraus tech tomorrow to see if their digital display holder requires the stock gasket, and mount screws like the Thrashin bracket does. If you look at the Kraus bracket it encloses the entire digital display literally like a box front and rear so maybe it holds the display tight without having to purchase the OEM gasket and bolts. Question does the stock gasket come with the four metal bushings for the mount bolts?

Thank you so much for posting this idea. I wouldn't have known it was a possibility otherwise. I've been wanting to move the huge speedo up for better visibility but this idea is even better! I just hope my local dealer is as competent as yours and knows how to disable the ignition switch. I wonder about those folks 😆. I have never taken any of my bikes to a dealership. I do all my own work but purchasing the digital tech software is expensive!

Old 09-08-2024, 06:13 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I agree to a point but having all the pertinent info up on my risers instead of looking down at the tank is a huge plus for me. If I want the classic look I can always ride my 04 Road King Classic.

All hail jlb for charting new waters with our RKS! 👍