Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024 | 05:03 PM
paws619
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cbifolco
I have a 2021 RKS. I just put a thundermax in and am looking at getting rid of my V&H Dresser Duals for Gallop Motorcycles 2-1's. Can't decide if I want to do shorties or full length (im not worried about having cutouts in my bags that are not filled). Also with that being said - I would be interested in just going directly to stage 2 and would like some information/feedback on what would work best for my setup (2-1 full length or 2-1 shorty). I am looking to keep my low-mid range torque but also want a good pull in the high range, and pairing good with similar gains in hp. Any feedback, suggestions would be awesome as I'm just learning as I'm going.
I can't offer any insight to the setup you are looking into, I went all HD when I did my air-cam-fuel-exhaust. However, dropping off my bike last week at my indi shop for some post ride stuff, we got into just this conversation as he was showing me bike he was building for a customer. As it relates to the set up, I can say it is very important to 1) KNOW what you want, like bouncing off the rev limiter horsepower or two up loaded on a week get away torque to pass cars with ease. and 2) KNOW the guy who is going to build, tune and dyno the bike. Been with my guy for like 20 years and he has worked on all my Harleys, my Buell and my custom hardtail. Having a mechanic you can trust to tell you their truth and still wil listen to your desires I feel is the most important step in getting what you really want.

The following users liked this post:
Charlie K (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024 | 05:17 PM
Oil, Gas & Leather
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by paws619
So, 2,000+ miles and here is what I learned on my first long trip with the KST handlebars and the mid-frame heat deflectors: Both worked well. I had my backrest on when I set the bars but hadn't ridden much with the backrest installed before the trip. I found it pushing me too far forward since the bars gave me so much more reach. I moved the mount back when I got to Boise. Felt better on a putt around the block. Was still further forward than I wanted so I pulled it off at my first stop in Nevada on my way home and found the with the new bars, my luggage on the back seat made for a perfect back rest. I was able to have the lower portion right at my low back when sitting up and the top supported me at "full starfish"

I noticed on my first and last day, both in the Mojave, that the mid-frame heat deflectors did a good job. The ride was never really hot, I think high was 96 the first day. An unexpected cold front came through on my way back and it was about 15 degrees cooler when I left Winnemucca than I had planned for. My 2 year old batter would not start the bike. It was 29 out and I had parked in the shade. Fortunately I carry a jumper box and it fired right up with that connected. I felt dumb as hell because in planning, I had brought summer, winter and mid-weight gloves not expecting anything under 50. Left my heated glove liners home!

Spring time through the deserts of California, Nevada, Oregon and Idaho were crazy beautiful with blooms.............and lousy with bugs!! After having 2 E-glides, I think the RKS makes for the perfect touring bike.
I agree! I love my 2019 RKS for both touring AND 150 mile & under jaunts. I'll be burid with it...)

Mongo1958 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-03-2024 | 07:24 PM
paws619
Intermediate

Another day, another trip! This time just under 500 miles through the San Diego back country up to Big Bear then back. Between the new windshield, bars and heat deflectors I can say the bike is fully dialed in. I will be listing my two other windshields on Offer Up soon, any locals (San Diego area) interested in an 11" Harley windshield with chrome hardware or a custom cut down 13" with black powder coated hardware. I also have a 16" Harley winshield with no hardware used about twice. The 11" I will list for $100 but here I will take $50, the custom I will list for $50 and take $25 here and the shield with no hardware I will list for $50 and take $25. I just won't be using this stuff now that I have my bike set up for long distance and would like to see them all go to good homes

Last edited by paws619; 06-03-2024 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo
Charlie K (06-04-2024)
Old 06-28-2024 | 07:10 PM
paws619
Intermediate

Gearing up for another trip. Up the So Cal coast through Ojai then on to Cambria for a tour at Hearst Castle then back down through Santa Barbara. Happy 4th to all!!!!

Last edited by paws619; 06-28-2024 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-29-2024 | 08:09 AM
RAD1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by paws619
So, 2,000+ miles and here is what I learned on my first long trip with the KST handlebars and the mid-frame heat deflectors: Both worked well. I had my backrest on when I set the bars but hadn't ridden much with the backrest installed before the trip. I found it pushing me too far forward since the bars gave me so much more reach. I moved the mount back when I got to Boise. Felt better on a putt around the block. Was still further forward than I wanted so I pulled it off at my first stop in Nevada on my way home and found the with the new bars, my luggage on the back seat made for a perfect back rest. I was able to have the lower portion right at my low back when sitting up and the top supported me at "full starfish"

I noticed on my first and last day, both in the Mojave, that the mid-frame heat deflectors did a good job. The ride was never really hot, I think high was 96 the first day. An unexpected cold front came through on my way back and it was about 15 degrees cooler when I left Winnemucca than I had planned for. My 2 year old batter would not start the bike. It was 29 out and I had parked in the shade. Fortunately I carry a jumper box and it fired right up with that connected. I felt dumb as hell because in planning, I had brought summer, winter and mid-weight gloves not expecting anything under 50. Left my heated glove liners home!

Spring time through the deserts of California, Nevada, Oregon and Idaho were crazy beautiful with blooms.............and lousy with bugs!! After having 2 E-glides, I think the RKS makes for the perfect touring bike.
Do you notice a big increase in heat with the fork fangs? I took mine off after 2 rides - it did help with the buffeting, but not worth the increase in heat.

Old 07-05-2024 | 09:06 AM
AMP'd
Cruiser

Finished up my stage 1 upgrade on my 21 deadwood king Wednesday night.

I did it all in my garage, very simple and painless, SE extreme ventilator air cleaner, Cobra pro chamber headers and Cobra neighbor hater GEN 2 mufflers, tuned with a Dynojet PV3 from the GREAT people at Fuel Moto.

Took it on a 300-mile rip yesterday to break it in. All I can say is this bike is AWAKE. There's definitely a noticeable difference from just slip-ons to a complete stage 1 upgrade. I can't say there was a crazy power increase, but the bike is running much smoother, less laggy, almost like it has more pep in its step. Throttle response is by far much better after the stage 1 with tune, which is mainly what I was looking for in the upgrade. Also have to mention I'm feeling much less heat on my leg from the headers, the cats in the stock headers retain SO MUCH HEAT!

I would do this again in a heartbeat.

The following 2 users liked this post by AMP'd:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (07-05-2024), Mongo1958 (07-14-2024)
Old 07-05-2024 | 09:32 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by AMP'd
Finished up my stage 1 upgrade on my 21 deadwood king Wednesday night.

I did it all in my garage, very simple and painless, SE extreme ventilator air cleaner, Cobra pro chamber headers and Cobra neighbor hater GEN 2 mufflers, tuned with a Dynojet PV3 from the GREAT people at Fuel Moto.

Took it on a 300-mile rip yesterday to break it in. All I can say is this bike is AWAKE. There's definitely a noticeable difference from just slip-ons to a complete stage 1 upgrade. I can't say there was a crazy power increase, but the bike is running much smoother, less laggy, almost like it has more pep in its step. Throttle response is by far much better after the stage 1 with tune, which is mainly what I was looking for in the upgrade. Also have to mention I'm feeling much less heat on my leg from the headers, the cats in the stock headers retain SO MUCH HEAT!

I would do this again in a heartbeat.
Agree 100% as I have done it to a few bikes and it does put a pep in it's step. So many on the forum claim it does nothing because they read something but it definitely helps!

Ride Hard and Safe!

AMP'd (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024 | 11:14 AM
paws619
Intermediate
Default Fang

Originally Posted by RAD1
Do you notice a big increase in heat with the fork fangs? I took mine off after 2 rides - it did help with the buffeting, but not worth the increase in heat.
I did notice the heat, a great deal of it. But I installed the mid frame heat deflectors and they have mitigated the issue. I ride pretty long distance with long days. The fangs reduce buffetting a great deal and I think they are worth the trade off

Old 07-14-2024 | 01:29 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air ForceVeteran: Reserves
Community Team

Has anyone tried CruzArmor on their fork legs? I'm going to be ordering it in black as I noticed some minor pitting on my 20RKS when I installed the Pro-Action fork kit recently.

CruzArmor (07-25-2024)
Old 07-14-2024 | 01:44 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Has anyone tried CruzArmor on their fork legs? I'm going to be ordering it in black as I noticed some minor pitting on my 20RKS when I installed the Pro-Action fork kit recently.
Yes I put in on 6 months ago. My advice to anyone with black forks is to protect them with at least the clear version but I had to use the black.as my forks had taken a beating probably due to the Georgia country roads. I believe their website has the install video but if not there are some on youtube. It saved me from having to buy new forks or a removal and waiting for them to be powder coated.

Mongo1958 (07-14-2024)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD