Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024 | 05:54 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air ForceVeteran: Reserves
Community Team

Originally Posted by rdking18
First post here. There are some nice looking rides in here. I did a few mods on mine 14''kst renegades,avon grips, leds all around, cobra neighbor haters slipons, custom axel nut covers, tank dash insert, flush mount gas cap and gauge, kuryakin mtx road thunder and just got a road warrior fairing. The fairing I purchased used and it didn't come with the mounting docking ''nubs''. I can't find them anywhere and Memphis shades was no help. Does anyone know where I could find a set or have some that I could buy? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Nice scoot, can't you use the docking hardware HD sells for windshields or is it not the same setup for a fairing?

Old 05-11-2024 | 12:22 PM
paws619
Intermediate

I'm shocked Memphis Shades was no help. Is the "nub" a part of their set up or an OEM part? My Dyna, bought used, came with their wind vest and was missing a bolt. I called them directly and they shipped one out at no cost. Have you tried calling directly?

Old 05-11-2024 | 05:45 PM
rdking18
Stage IV

This is what Memphis shades sells with the kit, only four of them.

Old 05-11-2024 | 07:17 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air ForceVeteran: Reserves
Community Team

Originally Posted by rdking18
This is what Memphis shades sells with the kit, only four of them.
That looks damn close to what HD sells as docking hardware for windshields.

Old 05-13-2024 | 07:10 PM
paws619
Intermediate

I agree with Cornpipe, they are just the lugs that bolt to the side of the nacele. The kit from harely includes the studs and acorn nuts, I had to buy it when I installed my HD windshield. Word of caution, do use a torque wrench. My mechanic gave me grief recently when swapping my handlebars because I over tightened mine and smooshed the plastic rings the mount slides into. Upside is my windshield is super secure

Old 05-13-2024 | 07:17 PM
paws619
Intermediate

Headed out on a 2000 mile trip up to Idaho this Thursday. Stand by for an update on how well the mid frame heat deflectors work since installing the "fangs" for buffeting radically increased the heat on my right leg..... My RKS has turned out to be a really great mile eating, long distance traveling bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by paws619:
Oil, Gas & Leather (05-27-2024), TTbonnie (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024 | 01:20 PM
CrimSonami
Road Captain

Originally Posted by paws619
Headed out on a 2000 mile trip up to Idaho this Thursday. Stand by for an update on how well the mid frame heat deflectors work since installing the "fangs" for buffeting radically increased the heat on my right leg..... My RKS has turned out to be a really great mile eating, long distance traveling bike.
If you haven't already, look into DK Customs tank lift. I run a set of custom-made fangs (smaller version) in cool weather but remove them in warmer months. The tank lift alone helps a lot but will not completely eliminate the buffeting without the fangs. For me it's an acceptable trade-off to have a cooler running engine.

Old 05-14-2024 | 08:32 PM
paws619
Intermediate

I did a bit of looking into it and am just not sold on the look. But this trip will tell me a great deal about long distance heat management.

Old 05-21-2024 | 07:59 AM
cbifolco
1st Gear
Default Stage 1-2 Upgrades

I have a 2021 RKS. I just put a thundermax in and am looking at getting rid of my V&H Dresser Duals for Gallop Motorcycles 2-1's. Can't decide if I want to do shorties or full length (im not worried about having cutouts in my bags that are not filled). Also with that being said - I would be interested in just going directly to stage 2 and would like some information/feedback on what would work best for my setup (2-1 full length or 2-1 shorty). I am looking to keep my low-mid range torque but also want a good pull in the high range, and pairing good with similar gains in hp. Any feedback, suggestions would be awesome as I'm just learning as I'm going.

Old 05-22-2024 | 05:21 PM
paws619
Intermediate
Default Back!

So, 2,000+ miles and here is what I learned on my first long trip with the KST handlebars and the mid-frame heat deflectors: Both worked well. I had my backrest on when I set the bars but hadn't ridden much with the backrest installed before the trip. I found it pushing me too far forward since the bars gave me so much more reach. I moved the mount back when I got to Boise. Felt better on a putt around the block. Was still further forward than I wanted so I pulled it off at my first stop in Nevada on my way home and found the with the new bars, my luggage on the back seat made for a perfect back rest. I was able to have the lower portion right at my low back when sitting up and the top supported me at "full starfish"

I noticed on my first and last day, both in the Mojave, that the mid-frame heat deflectors did a good job. The ride was never really hot, I think high was 96 the first day. An unexpected cold front came through on my way back and it was about 15 degrees cooler when I left Winnemucca than I had planned for. My 2 year old batter would not start the bike. It was 29 out and I had parked in the shade. Fortunately I carry a jumper box and it fired right up with that connected. I felt dumb as hell because in planning, I had brought summer, winter and mid-weight gloves not expecting anything under 50. Left my heated glove liners home!

Spring time through the deserts of California, Nevada, Oregon and Idaho were crazy beautiful with blooms.............and lousy with bugs!! After having 2 E-glides, I think the RKS makes for the perfect touring bike.

The following 3 users liked this post by paws619:
Charlie K (05-23-2024), Oil, Gas & Leather (05-27-2024), vianos (05-23-2024)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD