Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023 | 06:57 PM
cj24
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
CJ I have to say I am loving this riser and motobar setup. It's probably the best handling bar I've ever had. It's like the feel I had riding dirt bikes back in the day. I do have to change mirrors now because I went from 14" apes to 10.5" risers and the line of site on my current mirrors is hitting me in the shoulder and forearm.
Yup, I like the moto bars that have less degree sweep and are narrower than traditional bars that you typically find on a Harley. My bars on my sportster have low sweep and are narrow. I think tbars on my king will work for me but will confirm with pvc. Currently, I'm updating all my lights, exhaust, windshield, etc... so, bars will be this winter. Not enough money or time lol.

I know tbars on touring are not for everyone... but it is increasing popular on the west coast.

Last edited by cj24; 09-06-2023 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2023 | 08:57 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air ForceVeteran: Reserves
Community Team

Originally Posted by cj24
Yup, I like the moto bars that have less degree sweep and are narrower than traditional bars that you typically find on a Harley. My bars on my sportster have low sweep and are narrow. I think tbars on my king will work for me but will confirm with pvc. Currently, I'm updating all my lights, exhaust, windshield, etc... so, bars will be this winter. Not enough money or time lol.

I know tbars on touring are not for everyone... but it is increasing popular on the west coast.
Definitely being narrow is a good thing. I went from a 36" spread grip to grip to a 32" and it makes a huge difference in control of the bike. I think the tbars are slowly catching on as the idea spreads across the country. You're right though I haven't seen any here in Central Virginia. I think if guys gave them a good look or had a chance to ride a bike with the setup it would sway them to get it.

The following users liked this post:
NoRegerts (09-25-2023)
Old 09-06-2023 | 10:55 PM
coopmonte
Road Master

Originally Posted by cj24

Definitely being narrow is a good thing. I went from a 36" spread grip to grip to a 32" and it makes a huge difference in control of the bike. I think the tbars are slowly catching on as the idea spreads across the country. You're right though I haven't seen any here in Central Virginia. I think if guys gave them a good look or had a chance to ride a bike with the setup it would sway them to get it.
Gentlemen, I have been following your conversation and agree T-bars are nice, feel great, and seem to give a sense of better control. Way better feel than wide hangers. Just to through a different setup in the mix that has the same feel, I have the Lucky Daves Heavy Hitter Sevens (HH7) on my RKS and Thrashin risers and high bend bars on my Softail. They both have the same comfortable feel to them, same width and pull back, and are about the same height. Both are about the same price, depending on the setup you go with, since for a Road King the HH7's need the upper triple tree. The HH7's have a wider stance so it does not look off if you run the RK without a shield. Again, just tossing the idea out there as you look into setting up your bike.

Edit to say: Cornpipe I know you just finished your setup, just figured it may help the conversation.

Last edited by coopmonte; 09-06-2023 at 10:58 PM.
cj24 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-07-2023 | 06:02 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by coopmonte
Gentlemen, I have been following your conversation and agree T-bars are nice, feel great, and seem to give a sense of better control. Way better feel than wide hangers. Just to through a different setup in the mix that has the same feel, I have the Lucky Daves Heavy Hitter Sevens (HH7) on my RKS and Thrashin risers and high bend bars on my Softail. They both have the same comfortable feel to them, same width and pull back, and are about the same height. Both are about the same price, depending on the setup you go with, since for a Road King the HH7's need the upper triple tree. The HH7's have a wider stance so it does not look off if you run the RK without a shield. Again, just tossing the idea out there as you look into setting up your bike.

Edit to say: Cornpipe I know you just finished your setup, just figured it may help the conversation.
Hi Coop,
The HH7 looks like another good alternative to apes or wide bars. The website says the 14" size will not fit Road Kings. Also did you install a riser cover and the headlight trim piece on your RKS?

Disregard my question about not fitting the Road King I reread you post about needing a new tree. It's a shame they don't make anything shorter than 14". They must be popular b/c they are sold out.

Last edited by Cornpipe; 09-07-2023 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2023 | 10:50 AM
coopmonte
Road Master

Hi Coop,
The HH7 looks like another good alternative to apes or wide bars. The website says the 14" size will not fit Road Kings. Also did you install a riser cover and the headlight trim piece on your RKS?

Disregard my question about not fitting the Road King I reread you post about needing a new tree. It's a shame they don't make anything shorter than 14". They must be popular b/c they are sold out.
You also have to consider you are losing the riser clamp, something I did not think of at the time, so the 14" will be more like a 12"or 13" when on the bike. I have the 16" on mine and they sit at 14" above the riser cover. At 5'10" my hands are well below my shoulders and very comfortable.

Last edited by coopmonte; 09-07-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2023 | 10:58 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by coopmonte
You also have to consider you are losing the riser clamp, something I did not think of at the time, so the 14" will be more like a 12"or 13" when on the bike. I have the 16" on mine and they sit at 14" above the riser cover. At 5'10" my hands are well below my shoulders and very comfortable.
That looks great. I see you did the same riser cover I did I'm guessing. Or better yet I did the same one as you lol.

coopmonte (09-07-2023)
Old 09-08-2023 | 07:58 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Found these longer stemmed mirrors from J&P Cycles and they fixed my issue with the kickback risers and not having a clear view behind me. They were $58.00 shipped and arrived in two days. The sad part is I had to remove the $300.00 HD edge cut dome mirrors the original owner installed but maybe I can sell them. The new mirrors are really good quality and are super tight and solidly made. I'm very happy with them.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cornpipe:
cj24 (09-10-2023), NoRegerts (09-25-2023), satxrider (09-09-2023)
Old 09-24-2023 | 09:04 PM
GreenMonster
Road Master
Default Road King St

Little makeover on my 17 RKS

Old 09-24-2023 | 09:07 PM
GreenMonster
Road Master

has some gold pearl , kind of hard to see

The following 2 users liked this post by GreenMonster:
703wtuner (10-10-2023), MMNCS(SS) (09-24-2023)
Old 09-25-2023 | 10:43 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
has some gold pearl , kind of hard to see
That's a good looking RKS. I always liked that gray color on a bike or a nice car.

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD