Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 11:48 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,750 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by cj24
Ah.. ok I see now. Thanks for posting that.
I just saw a video where a guy was using a pull-back plate on a King, and as you mentioned, losing the trim piece and causing the seam to be exposed in the nacelle, etc. And it doesn't look good at all.
Oh yeah that plate looks horrible on our bikes. I'm grateful I spoke with the guy at Lucky. I feel bad I didn't purchase from them but it was going to be a several week wait and I'm impatient lol. I knew Kraus had parts ready to go. I know what you are saying about tall risers with no shield or fairing and I agree that real tall risers look silly. I'm turning 60 in December and my days of no shield riding are over. I just don't enjoy it so I will be keeping the smoked Memphis Shades Slim on 100% of the time. I will post pics with the shield off so folks can judge for themselves about the 10" risers.

I just need the Powder Coater to kick it in gear. It's been since Monday. 😆

Old 08-19-2023, 02:09 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Not having great success with the powder coater and the once chromed HD handlebar riser cover. It keeps getting bubbles in it. This on going issue is keeping me from mounting the Kraus risers.

Old 08-20-2023, 09:19 PM
coopmonte
Road Captain
Received 203 Likes on 149 Posts

With powder coating HD chrome parts it has been a 50/50 with the chrome bubbling underneath. It has come to a point that my coater mentions it every time I bring a chrome part in. Hope you get it sorted.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:07 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by coopmonte
With powder coating HD chrome parts it has been a 50/50 with the chrome bubbling underneath. It has come to a point that my coater mentions it every time I bring a chrome part in. Hope you get it sorted.
Exactly and my PC guy says if they blast the chrome at too high a psi it can distort or ruin the finish of the metal. Right now he is at 30psi but I'm going to ask him to go alittle higher. He does PC work for the local dealerships and has had to tell them the chrome parts on brand new bikes is basically junk when they send pieces in for customers to be coated.
50% of my cover looks great but the front part where the risers pass through has 7 bubbles and 3 pinholes right now.
If he can't get it done this time around or the metal distorts I'm just going to order another chrome one and install it as is. I'd rather have chrome on black than a bubble filled mess for a cover.

Last edited by Cornpipe; 08-21-2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:20 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

Hey y’all. Tried searching this, but the app is clunky. I am in the process of changing a bunch of junk out on the bike. I am thinking of updating the exhaust from my neighbor haters, to dropping the coin on a 2-1 HPI exhaust. I do have some reservations tho. First being it is a minimum 26 week wait. I’m mostly ok with this, as I will be doing the work in the winter. My main issue with this pipe, is the fitment. I currently have the neighbor haters (on the bike when I bought it) and recently upgraded the rear to Pro-Action. They are mint. But they did not fit when I tried putting them on. They rubbed along the exhaust pipe on the right side. There was a dent in the pipe, I understand that is designed to be there, but it still wasn’t enough. I had to put spacers on the exhaust mount to get it to clear. But I’m not sure you could fit a nut hair in that space.

Anyone know if I am in for the same issue with the HPI pipe? Rather not go with a shorty, as it may be too loud for the wife. Anyone have this pipe? Any clearance issues? Thanks!

Old 08-22-2023, 02:25 PM
RAD1
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb2782
Hey y’all. Tried searching this, but the app is clunky. I am in the process of changing a bunch of junk out on the bike. I am thinking of updating the exhaust from my neighbor haters, to dropping the coin on a 2-1 HPI exhaust. I do have some reservations tho. First being it is a minimum 26 week wait. I’m mostly ok with this, as I will be doing the work in the winter. My main issue with this pipe, is the fitment. I currently have the neighbor haters (on the bike when I bought it) and recently upgraded the rear to Pro-Action. They are mint. But they did not fit when I tried putting them on. They rubbed along the exhaust pipe on the right side. There was a dent in the pipe, I understand that is designed to be there, but it still wasn’t enough. I had to put spacers on the exhaust mount to get it to clear. But I’m not sure you could fit a nut hair in that space.

Anyone know if I am in for the same issue with the HPI pipe? Rather not go with a shorty, as it may be too loud for the wife. Anyone have this pipe? Any clearance issues? Thanks!
I recently installed 13" Legends Revo-A's on my RKS. I have Rinehart 4.5" DBX with indent for axle nut. When I completed installation the axle nut was hitting the exhaust. However, once I set the sag the axle nut sits about 1/4" above the pipe. Did you set the sag on the Pro-Actions?

The HPI exhaust looks to be a traditional long pipe so you may run into the same issue. I would call HPI before plunking down that kind of coin.

Last edited by RAD1; 08-22-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 02:46 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD1
I recently installed 13" Legends Revo-A's on my RKS. I have Rinehart 4.5" DBX with indent for axle nut. When I completed installation the axle nut was hitting the exhaust. However, once I set the sag the axle nut sits about 1/4" above the pipe. Did you set the sag on the Pro-Actions?

The HPI exhaust looks to be a traditional long pipe so you may run into the same issue. I would call HPI before plunking down that kind of coin.
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely be calling them beforehand.

I did not set the sag, however they were set by Pro-action before sending to me. Interestingly, my father and I are heading to Pro-Action next week to get our forks done. My father didn't want to mess with the install, and we are only about 4 hours away. I will have him check the sag for me while I am there next week.

The following users liked this post:
RAD1 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 04:41 PM
RAD1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jlb2782
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely be calling them beforehand.

I did not set the sag, however they were set by Pro-action before sending to me. Interestingly, my father and I are heading to Pro-Action next week to get our forks done. My father didn't want to mess with the install, and we are only about 4 hours away. I will have him check the sag for me while I am there next week.
When you push down on the back of the bike, does the axle nut clear the pipe without the spacers? If so, setting the sag should help.

Old 08-23-2023, 04:15 PM
upordown99
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Question on Suspension - I tried looking for some threads around but did not find anything significant.

Background - I have very limited experience with Harleys and have just bought FLHRXS sometime back. Now, I find the rear suspension little stiff and feel it a lot on the bad roads ( I am about 300 Pounds and ride solo, most of the times). I rode Heritage classic in between and I found its rear suspension much better, in terms of travel.
So, I started looking for some upgrade options and came across a good deal on Ohlins HD044. While I wait for these to be delivered - have a few questions ( hoping you guys would be able to answer these) -

1. People who have tried Ohlins - how was the experience after upgrade? (Probably too late to ask... but still).

2. Would I need to upgrade my front suspension too, If I change rear ? I dont have any issues with front set up yet, but since I am going from 12" - 13" shocks in the rear - would it change the riding dynamics which will make a compelling case for upgrading front?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience...

Old 08-24-2023, 06:47 AM
RAD1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by upordown99
Question on Suspension - I tried looking for some threads around but did not find anything significant.

Background - I have very limited experience with Harleys and have just bought FLHRXS sometime back. Now, I find the rear suspension little stiff and feel it a lot on the bad roads ( I am about 300 Pounds and ride solo, most of the times). I rode Heritage classic in between and I found its rear suspension much better, in terms of travel.
So, I started looking for some upgrade options and came across a good deal on Ohlins HD044. While I wait for these to be delivered - have a few questions ( hoping you guys would be able to answer these) -

1. People who have tried Ohlins - how was the experience after upgrade? (Probably too late to ask... but still).

2. Would I need to upgrade my front suspension too, If I change rear ? I dont have any issues with front set up yet, but since I am going from 12" - 13" shocks in the rear - would it change the riding dynamics which will make a compelling case for upgrading front?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience...
Haven't heard anything but good things about Ohlins HD044. Night and day improvement over stock. I have 13" Legends Revo-A's on mine and they are a great improvement over stock. The Ohlins are more customizable assuming you're buying them new, they will choose a spring based on your weight and type of riding. The Legends only offer 2 springs - standard and HD (combined weight over 500 lbs). If you've found a deal on a set of used Ohlins, you may need to change out the spring based on the weight of the rider who originally purchased them.

Front suspension is okay. Some guys change it out once they see how good the improvement is on the rear. My HD dealer said change the fronts if you want more performance. If you're after comfort, leave them stock.

The following users liked this post:
upordown99 (08-24-2023)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD