Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023 | 02:35 PM
upordown99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Try some Fork fangs first before you switch windshields.
Originally Posted by mjwebb
I swore by the HD fangs..it was the first thing I took off my Rushmore RK to swap to my M8 RK ..
Originally Posted by Tuck1991
I would figure out where the buffeting is coming from first. If it's over the tank or around the tank by your knees I don't know that the windshield will fix that entirely. Hold your hand across your chest and chase the wind to where the buffeting is coming from. If it's over the tank you can use a deflector (triple tree or DK wings) to move that flow. If it's from around the tank by your knees you'll need fork fangs.
Thank you for sharing your experience. This does sound like the right place to start from....

Originally Posted by RAD1
Congrats @upordown99 - sweet RKS! Sit on the bike and measure the distance from your headlight to your nose - that should be the height of your windshield. The Harley Windsplitter is nice if you are ~5'9 or shorter as it's a 16" shield. I'm 6'0 with 33" inseam and the distance from headlight to nose for me is 19.5" so I get a lot of wind buffeting above 50mph with that shield. I went to an 18" Freedom Shield which has a curve at the top so it's supposed to behave like a 19" or 20" straight shield. It's far better than the HD WS and pretty smooth up to about 65mph then I get some buffeting above 70mph. Most of us have a slew of windshields we've gone through to find the right fit.
Thanks bud. I am about 5'10" with 29 inseam .. so probably Harley windsplitter may not work for me. Since its the most expensive of the lot - I will proceed from least to most expensive ones - atleast when I am trying out the right shield for me. From your points seems like 18" would be right one for me, probably thats where I will start from ( after trying out fork fangs). Fortunately for me - seller was a very nice guys and he did include those in the sale - with the bike.

Old 06-28-2023 | 02:47 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Anyone here put Road Glide Limited bars on their RK. The RKS and RGS bars are way different and wanted to know if someone has done it. I sat on an Road Glide Ultra Limited and liked the ergonomics of it. Parts are about 370-400 depending if I need the street glide clamps.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2023 | 03:18 PM
OscarN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Anyone here put Road Glide Limited bars on their RK. The RKS and RGS bars are way different and wanted to know if someone has done it. I sat on an Road Glide Ultra Limited and liked the ergonomics of it. Parts are about 370-400 depending if I need the street glide clamps.

Thanks
my coworker put Road Glide bars on his RKS. There will be some holes to be plugged and a small gap if you don’t use road glide perch clamps. I have stock bars from my 2020 RGS and they have holes for perch clamp pins.

The following users liked this post:
Road_King_Rider (07-06-2023)
Old 06-28-2023 | 03:42 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by OscarN
my coworker put Road Glide bars on his RKS. There will be some holes to be plugged and a small gap if you don’t use road glide perch clamps. I have stock bars from my 2020 RGS and they have holes for perch clamp pins.
I saw those little ****/nipples on each end of the bar at the dealership and figured i can use an angle grinder to remove it. I dont like how it severely limits the positioning of the clucth and brake levers.

Old 06-28-2023 | 03:46 PM
OscarN
Road Captain

I saw those little ****/nipples on each end of the bar at the dealership and figured i can use an angle grinder to remove it. I dont like how it severely limits the positioning of the clucth and brake levers.
Yeah, those are easy to remove. But what limits brake and clutch levers are pins on the perch clamps that go inside those rectangular holes. I had to grind those off to be able to fit clamps on KST bars. Aftermarket bars don’t have any of those nipples, pins and holes 😁

vizcarmb (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023 | 09:19 PM
RAD1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by upordown99
Thank you for sharing your experience. This does sound like the right place to start from....

Thanks bud. I am about 5'10" with 29 inseam .. so probably Harley windsplitter may not work for me. Since its the most expensive of the lot - I will proceed from least to most expensive ones - atleast when I am trying out the right shield for me. From your points seems like 18" would be right one for me, probably thats where I will start from ( after trying out fork fangs). Fortunately for me - seller was a very nice guys and he did include those in the sale - with the bike.
If you decide to try a Freedom Shield, they will let you try it on your bike as long as you don't take the protective plastic wrap off. If it's the wrong size, simply send it back for another size. I did that, but I was an idiot and didn't take it on the highway until after I removed all the plastic. Still need to powdercoat the windshield brackets black.

The following 2 users liked this post by RAD1:
Road_King_Rider (07-06-2023), upordown99 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023 | 10:43 PM
GreenMonster
Road Master

Why did Harley make road glide specific bars and perch clamps ? the clamps I would think would have been universal across all touring bikes .

OscarN (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023 | 08:00 AM
OscarN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Why did Harley make road glide specific bars and perch clamps ? the clamps I would think would have been universal across all touring bikes .
IMO they may have tried to limit bars and controls adjustments on Road Glides to make sure bars will never clash with the fairing since it is fixed. Wider perch clamps required to add those limiting pins. Just my theory.

Old 06-29-2023 | 08:50 AM
RAD1
Cruiser

Thanks
I have Road Glide bars on my RKS (off my buddy's 2019 CVO). I don't know if they are different from the RGL bars? Very comfortable.

Last edited by RAD1; 06-29-2023 at 08:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RAD1:
Road_King_Rider (07-06-2023), VictorVictor22 (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023 | 09:03 AM
VictorVictor22
Intermediate

Installing Bag Guards this weekend as suggested by another member here. A little pricey but cheaper than what could happen without them. As well as deciding where to ride this weekend. Enjoy the ride everyone!

The following 3 users liked this post by VictorVictor22:
RAD1 (06-30-2023), Road_King_Rider (07-06-2023), upordown99 (06-30-2023)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD