Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2023 | 05:18 PM
satxrider
Tourer

When I first got my RK in 2022, I was still knocked in the dirt from going a few f
rounds with COVID. I knew I really wanted the turn signals moved off of the handle bars and since I was changing the bars, I did the signal move at the same time. The biggest drawback was the scarcity of parts. I initially added the Hogworkz signals and kept looking for parts and buying when I could. Well, my front end is finally done!

The following 3 users liked this post by satxrider:
Gizmo83 (04-03-2023), Glenn Gorman (04-10-2023), jlb2782 (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023 | 08:34 AM
jlb2782
Road Captain

Hey guys. Getting ready to switch my bars over (FINALLY!) from 16” apes to a riser/bar setup. I am sicker than hell right now, so if I ramble, my apologies.

Going from the 16” apes (previous owner installed) to 9.5” pullback risers from thrashin with their high bend bar. I started to read a little and noticed there was a cover that I may need. Linked below. Problem is, 18 weeks for shipping!! I’m screwed if I need that. But here’s the thing, I can’t really tell if I need it. How would I know?
Here are some pics. Please disregard the dust. Wound up doing some remodeling in the house and had to make some cuts in the garage. She’ll be cleaned up this week.

So do I need that riser cover then? Are there any aftermarket options that would work so I don’t have to wait the 18 weeks?

Honestly, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, and I would wait, but I keep throwing a code that indicates there is a broken wire in the bars. They gotta go.

Thanks for the help, yall.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...a=MXxOfDB8WXww

The following users liked this post:
satxrider (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023 | 12:50 PM
satxrider
Tourer

If the link you added at the bottom of your post is what you need, it looks like V-Twin MFG makes them and looks like they are in stock at J&P Cycles and Dennis Kirk. Good luck finding what you need.

jlb2782 (04-07-2023)
Old 04-05-2023 | 09:03 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air ForceVeteran: Reserves
Community Team

Originally Posted by jlb2782
So do I need that riser cover then? Are there any aftermarket options that would work so I don’t have to wait the 18.
Wouldn't the vendor you are buying the H-bars from be able to answer your question?

Old 04-05-2023 | 07:08 PM
coopmonte
Road Master

Hey guys. Getting ready to switch my bars over (FINALLY!) from 16” apes to a riser/bar setup. I am sicker than hell right now, so if I ramble, my apologies.

Going from the 16” apes (previous owner installed) to 9.5” pullback risers from thrashin with their high bend bar. I started to read a little and noticed there was a cover that I may need. Linked below. Problem is, 18 weeks for shipping!! I’m screwed if I need that. But here’s the thing, I can’t really tell if I need it. How would I know?
Here are some pics. Please disregard the dust. Wound up doing some remodeling in the house and had to make some cuts in the garage. She’ll be cleaned up this week.

So do I need that riser cover then? Are there any aftermarket options that would work so I don’t have to wait the 18 weeks?

Honestly, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, and I would wait, but I keep throwing a code that indicates there is a broken wire in the bars. They gotta go.

Thanks for the help, yall.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...a=MXxOfDB8WXww
Yes, you will need it if you are going with the pullback risers. Unless you cut holes in your current cover or don't use a cover at all.

jlb2782 (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023 | 05:47 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Wouldn't the vendor you are buying the H-bars from be able to answer your question?
Maybe. Or I could ask the folks right here on this very forum, with the same exact bike I have. After all, that’s what these forums are about.

Regardless, thanks y’all for the help. After an extensive search, I was able to find 2 in the state of NY. One happened to be a dealer 1.5 hrs away. Made the trip and have the goods.

Just yesterday I saw someone post the same thing on Facebook. Dealers around him have no stock, and won’t for 18 weeks or longer. While dealers in other areas/states, do. But Harley says they cannot sell outside their area, and no longer allowed to ship. **** sucks. But, that’s the way it is right now. Oh well.

satxrider (04-07-2023)
Old 04-10-2023 | 01:12 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Maybe. Or I could ask the folks right here on this very forum, with the same exact bike I have. After all, that’s what these forums are about. Regardless, thanks y’all for the help. After an extensive search, I was able to find 2 in the state of NY. One happened to be a dealer 1.5 hrs away.
That makes perfect sense to me. Why ask the pros when you can ask us shade tree mechanics. 😆 Seriously though glad you got what you need and hopefully the job goes smooth. Just be careful with your switch assemblies those little locking tabs break easy.

Last edited by Cornpipe; 04-10-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2023 | 02:02 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Not every "Pro" is a pro. Just like not every truck driver is a truck driver.

Old 04-10-2023 | 02:11 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Glenn Gorman
Not every "Pro" is a pro. Just like not every truck driver is a truck driver.
Ok, I don't know any truck drivers but I'll take your word for it.

Old 04-10-2023 | 07:10 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
That makes perfect sense to me. Why ask the pros when you can ask us shade tree mechanics. 😆 Seriously though glad you got what you need and hopefully the job goes smooth. Just be careful with your switch assemblies those little locking tabs break easy.

Man, you are not wrong. Took both switch covers off, and they broke BOTH tabs when installing these bars originally, Each one of them had the little crack right down the middle. And of course, just touching them snapped them. Unreal. Guess I’m in for another $400 for shitty switches. What a racket.

Edit: Went and looked again. Looks like it is just the left one broken. Yeehaw, half the price. I think I might try the lighted switches at this point. See if I can get them to work. What’s to lose?

Last edited by jlb2782; 04-10-2023 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD