Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 09:14 AM
RAD1
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
Yes sir all three shields give you wind in the face. I'm keeping mine just because i have $$$ wrapped up in WS shields and I do love the look of them on the Road King Special. If I knew then what I know now I would have gone with the traditional HD shield and bracket set up before buying any of the Freedom WS. My RKS came with the 16" HD WS setup from the original owner so I stuck with it since I had the brackets. Freedom Windshield does not have WS brackets they are proprietary to HD. You have to have the WS brackets in hand in order to use a Freedom WS. Freedom makes great shields for all model HD but I don't think they offer any brackets. Memphis Shades is another good company that offers shields and brackets for HD bikes but they do not offer the WS. Keep in mind for the RKS you have to buy the HD fork mount kit to run any shield. A little history on the Windsplitter shield it was originally made for the 2015 or 16 Road King CVO model but eventually HD released it for use on all Roadkings. Obviously this was years before the Road King Special was even conceived. Take my advice at your height you will not be happy running the Windsplitter. Go with the traditional brackets and shield which you can find in black for the RKS. I'm 6'3" and the wind is constant using the WS shield. I don't know how HD came up with the name Windsplitter cause it doesn't split jack ****.
Thanks - this is very helpful. So when you say you would have gone with the traditional HD shield and bracket are you referring to the OEM windshield that comes with the Road King? Are these available in different heights? Given my height, do you think I would want an 18"?

Old 10-17-2022, 09:27 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,750 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD1
Thanks - this is very helpful. So when you say you would have gone with the traditional HD shield and bracket are you referring to the OEM windshield that comes with the Road King? Are these available in different heights? Given my height, do you think I would want an 18"?
Yes the OEM setup is what I'm talking about. I have a 16" Rifle windshield on my Roadking Classic and I could definitely run a 18" on it and be happy. I think you would be fine with a 18 inch. Also when you start viewing windshield sites most of them will walk you through how to choose a good height. You Tube is full of good vids on this topic.

Last edited by Cornpipe; 10-17-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Gizmo83
I personally love the Wind Splitter and think the styling fits the RKS really well. I'm 5'10" and find it very comfortable, especially with the fork deflectors installed. I've found the vent makes all the difference. For the colder weather, I do have a Clearview coming in the wider width with the optional vent installed. I bought some standard, non-curved black hardware off Amazon and will mount it up to that and run it this winter. A bonus with that shield is I will be able to run my windshield bag which is so handy for things like glasses, garage door opener, and a charging brick to run a USB cable to my phone if needed.
You prove my point being 5'10" and loving the WS vs this member being 6' and myself being 6'3".

Old 10-17-2022, 09:49 AM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 568 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
You prove my point being 5'10" and loving the WS vs this member being 6' and myself being 6'3".
Wasn't trying to prove anything. Just saying I personally love the WS and feel it's short sighted for him to write it off because it doesn't work for you.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Gizmo83
Wasn't trying to prove anything. Just saying I personally love the WS and feel it's short sighted for him to write it off because it doesn't work for you.
That's a lot of coin for him to invest just to find out it doesn't work and he's stuck with a 16" WS shield and brackets he can't use with any other shield. Like I said it's a height issue. Being 6' or taller makes the WS uncomfortable.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:05 PM
RAD1
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks guys - I'm going to reach out to my local dealer to see if they have any demo windshields. I think 16" is too short for me - will put a lot of wind buffeting right around the forehead.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:47 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Thanks guys - I'm going to reach out to my local dealer to see if they have any demo windshields. I think 16" is too short for me - will put a lot of wind buffeting right around the forehead.
Good luck in your search. The are alot of choices and good aftermarket windshield companies out there.

The following users liked this post:
RAD1 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 04:17 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm only 5'6 and 16" is too short for me really. I'd think you could comfortably do a 20". The Long Ride Shield recurves are pretty nice for creating a good pocket by kicking the wind up at the top of the shield. Not everyone's style choice, but works well in my experience. Gives almost 2 inches of extra deflection from a standard shield design so 20" recurve will be about as quiet as a 22" standard shield. Good luck with your search.

RAD1 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 05:22 PM
OscarN
Road Captain
Received 355 Likes on 198 Posts

Good luck! Like Cornpipe said going with the WS may cost you quite few dimes, I bought that plus a couple of shields from freedom shields and ended up with modifying WS brackets. 22” worked for me in terms of buffeting (I’m 5’11”), but it is gigantic and was still hitting the handlebars at highway speed. After I got the brackets extended I put 20” back and finally happy with the outcome, but it wasn’t a cheap route for sure. And now I have 2 windshields laying around.

RAD1 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 10:05 PM
satxrider
Tourer
Received 468 Likes on 143 Posts

I sure wish you guys would have started the windshield conversation a few months earlier. It seems like all of us get drawn to the WS shield based on looks only to realize there are some design flaws. I ordered the 16” WS from HD and a 22” shield from Freedom Shields. My friend, who is a parts mgr at my local HD, had an extra set of WS brackets laying around that he sold me. The plan was to have 2 windshields, a 16” and a 22.”
I ran into the same issues the rest of you have. I thought I could lean my handlebars back to account for the curve, but I think that will only work for the 16” WS.
I may just bite the bullet and order the standard brackets from Amazon. Before I order, though, are the brackets from Amazon any good or should I order from HD?
Also thinking about selling the WS shields and brackets.

Last edited by satxrider; 10-17-2022 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added information
RAD1 (10-18-2022)

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD